Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    In my discussions with Adam, he mentioned,,yep,,cuben was used in sails, but not as much as you think,,and the sails they used are smallish in size. He also mentioned to me, that him and Joe of Zpacks have hundreds of tarps made for customers, and thru the grapevine of the industry,,other makers of cuben camping gear have often questioned the usage of .51 cuben material being used in tarps as they are leaning to heavier cuben material in their mfging processes. snip
    So we are at 2 failures out of hundreds of tarps made out of .51?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Regards sails...while they may be hoisted in the sun, their design is to even loads and the wind cools them. And, the fabric is heavier, except for one season racing sails. I don't see a close association wth a stationary tarp...

Cuben Tarp Failure beyond repair

Exotic fabrics in racing sails are selected on a weight (lighter the better) vs resistance to stretch and distort beyond design parameters. Longevity is well down on the list of desirable characteristics- for a racing sail. Many exotic fabrics are very much weakened by UV degradation. It's quite normal to have a laminate made from different materials, to achieve specific design criteria. There is little beyond an academic interest or curiosity to glean from any comparison to CF; used as a tarp material.

CF is a manufactured laminate. It will be very interesting to see what comes of any testing or investigations into this failed laminate.

One certainty is that the lighter the fabric- the less the safety margin- the closer to the point of failure that will be found in even 'normal use'.

CF has many desirable characteristics beyond UL weight. Personally I prefer a slightly heavier fabric weight and the increased durability that comes with it. But I also fully get the quest for absolute minimum weight. In the end we all win and benefit from the new methods.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    So we are at 2 failures out of hundreds of tarps made out of .51?
    Its the same question I asked Adam...any other failures like this? And yes,,so far,,and reason for the posting,,,to find out if any cuben tarp problems by other users, we so far, have only a couple of failures that is known of. Actually pretty darn good for .51 if this is the only major major weakness.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Very informative thread. Thanks for sharing. I have a HG cuben tarp as well. I really like the weight savings but I have found that to be the only real reason to get cuben. It is definitely considerably less durable, particularly with punctures as i have found. My next tarp will likely be another silnylon tarp to use in colder weather and shorter hikes/car camping etc. I'll probably snag another Superfly at some point for that.
    I'd add one more plus to Cuben fiber ... after having packed my Superfly up wet to hike out ... the Cuben tarp does not absorb water and is easier to shake/wipe excess water off even packing it in the rain. But I guess that is also really a "weight" issue too. Just a nice characteristic of Cuben vs Sil to me.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I'd add one more plus to Cuben fiber ... after having packed my Superfly up wet to hike out ... the Cuben tarp does not absorb water and is easier to shake/wipe excess water off even packing it in the rain. But I guess that is also really a "weight" issue too. Just a nice characteristic of Cuben vs Sil to me.
    Aabsolute plus in my book too, I really love cuben tarps myself and all the Pros of it vs. the Cons.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    My "field repair" in the back yard is holding very well for two straight days of steady rain (but no wind of which to speak). The bonds are all holding with the sheer strength of the tape. A double layer of the fabric tore in that one spot. It was the leading edge with the poncho attached that took a gust with the poncho gathering the full force of the wind. I see a loop failing on that same NE corner from which the wind was blowing. It was just too much and my mistake entirely. When I closed the end it parted the wind much better.

This material is wonderful but not magical. The laws of physics still apply!

Last edited by MDSH; 07-17-2013 at 10:55.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Well, I had the same issue, last year. I have a HG cuben. I took it in 2012 out on the Buffalo River. Zero issues. I came back to Texas and set it up in the back yard. Under cedar trees, so it was in the shade always. I left it up for TWO months. The tension and probably heat of Texas Summer, started pulling the fabric the same as the original poster describes it. Up at the ridge line tie's, the fabric seemed to pull apart. I contacted HG and heard from both Adam and Jen. I mailed it back, as they wanted to evaluate it. Basically, it was repaired by them. A few 4 and 6 inch squares of fabric up at the RL tie outs. I've messed with it since then and will probably bring it to the Texas Butt bake this weekend. So, I agree, the super light weight trade off is in some durability. But also think of this, it was set up in shade, but Texas heat, for like 60 days. Or 1440 hours deployed. I did some math. Say you go hike the AT. Figure tarp set up 8 hours a night, 6 days a week, for 5 months. Total hang/deployed time would be 960 hours. So a cuben tarp should survive an AT thru hike.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK, just heard back from Brian at OES. I asked him if he remembered the weight of cuben material he used on my MacCat Deluxe since I've left mine exposed on numerous occasions without noticing any negative effects. My cuben MacCat was made using the .74oz version of the material.

Doesn't really matter much for the current problem, but I thought the info might be helpful for the overall discussion about cuben tarps.

Keep in mind, I'm a little bit closer to the sun than many of you and most of my camping takes place even closer to the sun. U/V exposure is a constant companion here and when Genuine Draft and I camp, we tend to do a lot more camping than hiking. On the conservative side of things, I'd wager my cuben tarp has seen about 150 hours of direct sunlight since I picked it up. No worse for the wear....yet.

Edit: And I like my tarps pitched drum-tight.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Awesome information MDSH, rhjanes, and Cannibal...just what this thread was meant to create. For other users out there,,keep the info flowing about extreme usages of cuben tarps. Nice to know how far we can take them before any problems might spring up in usage of them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast