Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

Skeeters vs WBBB 1.7 SL

A lot of people seem to buy DL hammocks primarily because of mosquitoes seeming inability to get through 2 layers, but if you don't mind spraying a bit of permethrin on your hammock, a SL will work just fine. My forearms, neck and palms were bloody from getting swarmed by skeeters while I set up camp the other night , but once I got into the hammock, not one bite all night long. Before the sun went down, I watched dozens of mozzies come in between my kelty tarp and the netting, swirl around for a second or two, then shoot out as fast as they came in. It was amazing to lay there and watch it, it was like they hit an invisible force field. I don't use a pad because this hammock is for summer only, so at 5'8 and 175, the 1.7 SL fits the bill. It has just the right amount of support, and because its a SL, I can feel the slightest amount of breeze through the bottom. Perfect for summer nights. Thats my ALICE pack in the pic, same color as the hammock I just noticed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    A lot of people seem to buy DL hammocks primarily because of mosquitoes seeming inability to get through 2 layers, but if you don't mind spraying a bit of permethrin on your hammock, a SL will work just fine. My forearms, neck and palms were bloody from getting swarmed by skeeters while I set up camp the other night , but once I got into the hammock, not one bite all night long. Before the sun went down, I watched dozens of mozzies come in between my kelty tarp and the netting, swirl around for a second or two, then shoot out as fast as they came in. It was amazing to lay there and watch it, it was like they hit an invisible force field. I don't use a pad because this hammock is for summer only, so at 5'8 and 175, the 1.7 SL fits the bill. It has just the right amount of support, and because its a SL, I can feel the slightest amount of breeze through the bottom. Perfect for summer nights. Thats my ALICE pack in the pic, same color as the hammock I just noticed.
    Mosquito's can get through a DL 1.7, at least in MA.

-Cphobes

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cphobes View Post
    Mosquito's can get through a DL 1.7, at least in MA.

-Cphobes
    I'm surprised to hear that. In a thread a while back, Warbonnetguy asked if anyone had ever been bit through a DL and just about everyone said no. Or at least that was the gist of the thread as I recall.

Does it make any difference whether you're in a SL or DL when it comes to mosquito bites? I wonder....

Hammock
    WBBBXLC 1.7dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG All Around
    Suspension
    Straps and DUTCH
    I've had a few get through my 1.7 dl, but only a few. I will probably treat mine before my next trip. I hate blood suckers of any kind!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I treated mine before our trip this week. I think they were on steroids. I swear I got bit on my should through the Premethrin and the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The skeeters will let you know if you missed any places while treating your hammock
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts