WBRR DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ w/ DOOR KIT
    Insulation
    HG/Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY WS
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    Yeah man, tyler is coming all the way from Jawga, so he needs to leave soon...
    Nah, I'm only about two hours from Cheaha (locally pronounced Cheeeeeee Hawwwww)...and that's taking the scenic route.

Images
    some Cheaha maps at the given coordinates. Cheaha Mt just southeast of I20 at Anniston, on 281.

Does that campsite coordinate look correct, in the middle of the woods and not at a developed campsite or on a road? I entered it in the format of N 33.453071, W 85.849485 and it came out as N 33 27.184, W 85 50.969

Let me know if that is not right and I will try to correct it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-09-2013 at 20:19.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    I'm going to check with the old lady and see if she will let me come. We are about to have a little baby boy any day now so we'll see if I can get away or not. Hoping to make it though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Re: Cheaha state park/ AL / fall hang

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    some Cheaha maps at the given coordinates. Cheaha Mt just southeast of I20 at Anniston, on 281.

Does that campsite coordinate look correct, in the middle of the woods and not at a developed campsite or on a road? I entered it in the format of N 33.453071, W 85.849485 and it came out as N 33 27.184, W 85 50.969

Let me know if that is not right and I will try to correct it.
    Your map looks pretty close. The camping spot is not in an established campground, it is a backcountry site. It's about 150 yards from the Cheaha shelter, on the Chinnabee trail. It sees a good bit of traffic, so it is well used. It is approx 1 mile from the Turnipseed parking lot on 281. An easy walk in.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    I think the location is pretty close to, only I think where it's marked the camp site is on the opposite side of the creek .
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Heading there today on my way to Huntsville. I'll make sure it's still there! Ye Ha! If anyone is going to be in the AO, look for the happy guy swimming under the waterfall!
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Your map looks pretty close. The camping spot is not in an established campground, it is a backcountry site. It's about 150 yards from the Cheaha shelter, on the Chinnabee trail. It sees a good bit of traffic, so it is well used. It is approx 1 mile from the Turnipseed parking lot on 281. An easy walk in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    I think the location is pretty close to, only I think where it's marked the camp site is on the opposite side of the creek .
    I changed the defaults on my Delorme map software so that I was able to enter the coordinates in pure decimal fashion, but it made no difference in where it shows on the map.

My dog gone Delorme built in Topo is not showing the shelters or parking areas mentioned. And I don't yet have the topos for this area downloaded, which might show those landmarks. I can believe that the campsite might be on the other side of the creek, I have not found the Delorme stock maps to be quite as accurate as the USGS Topos I download from Delorme.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    Heading there today on my way to Huntsville. I'll make sure it's still there! Ye Ha! If anyone is going to be in the AO, look for the happy guy swimming under the waterfall!
    If you have a GPS with you, check the coordinates, and enjoy your swim!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you have a GPS with you, check the coordinates, and enjoy your swim!
    I didn't take a GPS otherwise I would have popped a grid for you.

The site is easy to find. The Park office address is: 2141 Bunker Loop Delta, AL 36258. That address works in my car GPS. You can stop there for a cold drink and a hand-drawn trail map.

When you leave the Park office parking lot, take a right. Go about 4-5 miles until you see the first and only small parking area on the left side of the road (really, its the only one so you can't go wrong). The trail entrance to the waterfall/campground is on the opposite side of the road (actually about 20 yards before you get to the parking lot). There are signs from there.

If the parking lot on the road is full, you can take the gravel road just across the street and follow it down and around to the right. You will see where the trail goes across the gravel road. There is an area just beyond where the trail crosses the road where you can park your car on the right.

EZ!

I verified that the waterfall is still there after hiking in from Adams Gap yesterday. I started the hike at 2:00 in the afternoon on the Stairway to Heaven side and I haven't been that hot and tired in a long, long time. The waterfall and the cool pool below were priceless!

G-Nut
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grapenut; 08-11-2013 at 16:53.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Images
    Hey guys, just asking but is there a planning spreadsheet or anything for this? I haven't made the commitment to it yet but it is weighing heavy in my planning.

Billy Bob. You planning on being there? This may well tip the scale. Been wanting to meet you (live in person) for a while now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast