Thread: Lack of love?

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.

Lack of love?

Good morning all... Well, I have changed my gear in the last week or so..
    Sold some to get some kinda thing.. Been looking around at the smaller tarps, And kinda wondering something about the warbonnet edge and the seemingly lack of love it gets?... Every time the smaller tarp preference gets mentioned, the tadpole seems to prevail..great tarp, I have owned 2 of them.btw... Seems the edge is 2in. wider at even a lighter weight, and a door option.... I have never heard anything bad about them, but not a whole lot either..... Maybe all in my head?.. Any input welcome.. Probably buyin one real soon anyway...... Brandons goods are all top notch....This much I know..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Good question, I am curious also.

One thing that I could point out is that even though doors are an option for the Edge, the cost of the doors is $75, which is almost as much as the cost of the entire tarp at $85. The doors weight 7.2 ounces, increasing the weight of the system by 64%, to a total of 18.45 ounces. Considering that the Superfly weights 19 ounces, the equations slants in favor of the Superfly for the added coverage. As for price, an Edge with doors comes to $160, while the SF is $130. The advantage of the doors, of course, is that you could leave those 7.2 ounces at home if you wanted. So a lot depends on how you hike/camp.
    Last edited by Gravity; 07-22-2013 at 09:25.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If i'm not mistaken the Edge has also recently been modified in shape and price. I think it used to have a 126 ridgeline and cost a little more than it does now. Back then the Tadpole was the better deal and now that the Edge has become more competitive, I think people are just stuck in the mindset of the Tadpole being the better deal without actually considering the Edges new changes. Of course I could be totally wrong.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looking at it I would agree with dangerous and his thoughts.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    If i'm not mistaken the Edge has also recently been modified in shape and price. I think it used to have a 126 ridgeline and cost a little more than it does now. Back then the Tadpole was the better deal and now that the Edge has become more competitive, I think people are just stuck in the mindset of the Tadpole being the better deal without actually considering the Edges new changes. Of course I could be totally wrong.
    Yep... I believe you nailed it.... Gonna check with Brandon on just getting a half door kit.. I like the setup, less stakes as opposed to griz beaks..

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    For what its worth my friend recently received is WB Edge tarp along w/door kit and loves it. I on the other hand am saving for a Tadpole...I already have the Bigdaddy so I guess its a loyalty thing...?

Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    For what its worth my friend recently received is WB Edge tarp along w/door kit and loves it. I on the other hand am saving for a Tadpole...I already have the Bigdaddy so I guess its a loyalty thing...?
    ... Marty is an awesome fella, with great gear to boot..
    Well. since I now have a superfly, maybe I am doin the same thing...
    These fellas are a win- win..

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    If i'm not mistaken the Edge has also recently been modified in shape and price...
    You're right, there was a post back in May. Here's the link:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73454

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I've wondered the same thing. But then I thought about it a little ...

For comparisons sake, when I was looking at tarps I made a spreadsheet with the dimensions, weights, and cost of all the tarps frequently discussed on the forums. So just prior to the change, the Edge was 126" x 98", and $85. The tadpole was and is 132" x 92" and also $85.

I went with an Edge, since I wanted a little more side to side coverage, and didn't care as much about the length. Besides, I have a Blackbird, so I figured they were made to play nice with each other.

The new Edges are 132" x 94", and still $85.

I personally love my Edge. It's a great tarp, and though I've yet to be out in inclement weather with it, I feel confident that with proper hanging and site selection I could stay nice and dry.

The big benefit to the Tadpole, IMHO, is the ability to add options and customize. You can add pull outs, add hardware, add more tie out loops, and have a couple color options - all from the maker. They all add to the cost ... but it allows you the ability to make it your own, without having to DIY the mods.

Personally, I like Olive Brown, and I didn't want all the bells and whistles - so the Edge was perfect for me.

YMMV

Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. But then I thought about it a little ...

For comparisons sake, when I was looking at tarps I made a spreadsheet with the dimensions, weights, and cost of all the tarps frequently discussed on the forums. So just prior to the change, the Edge was 126" x 98", and $85. The tadpole was and is 132" x 92" and also $85.

I went with an Edge, since I wanted a little more side to side coverage, and didn't care as much about the length. Besides, I have a Blackbird, so I figured they were made to play nice with each other.

The new Edges are 132" x 94", and still $85.

I personally love my Edge. It's a great tarp, and though I've yet to be out in inclement weather with it, I feel confident that with proper hanging and site selection I could stay nice and dry.

The big benefit to the Tadpole, IMHO, is the ability to add options and customize. You can add pull outs, add hardware, add more tie out loops, and have a couple color options - all from the maker. They all add to the cost ... but it allows you the ability to make it your own, without having to DIY the mods.

Personally, I like Olive Brown, and I didn't want all the bells and whistles - so the Edge was perfect for me.

YMMV
    Great comments.. I do love the olive brown as well.. Better than the black as far as stealth goes.. imo..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast