Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

TX>Fairfield Lake State Park>November 8-10, 2013 - 2013 Texas Fall Group Hang ver 5.0

Let's get the Annual Texas Fall Group Hang planned!

Folks are already talking about the Annual Texas Fall Group Hang on several threads and I’ve already responded to pm’s asking about dates for flights and vacation planning so it looks like time to start the planning thread!

As we discussed last fall, the date and location will be the same again this year so you calendar watchers be sure to save the second weekend in November, and let the tradition continue in 2013 with the 5th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang, November, (11/8-10) at Fairfield Lake State Park.

It’s a great time to renew friendships, make new ones, and play with gear so mark it on the calendar.

In the past, the fun has included car camping for those who like to bring everything; (the location has showers and porcelain facilities for those who won’t leave home without them); day hikes for those inclined; lake paddling, fishing; pot luck dinners; Dutch oven cooking; DIY play time; lots of show and tell along with a little gear trading; group buys; stove tests; drawings for prizes, and some wonderful campfire fellowship.

Here is the link to the planning spreadsheet on Google docs. By posting to it we can keep a running list of folks and stuff past the date that this post can be edited. Please add or update yourself on it.

For those interested in what’s been done before. Here’s the planning thread from last year and the 2012 Trip report links.

So, let the planning conversation begin!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm in! I updated the spreadsheet! Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Caveman; 07-16-2013 at 11:24.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Clark Camo NX-250
    Tarp
    EOS 4 Season
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20&#7
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Sling
    I'm in. Calender updated. Looking forward to the cooler weather and old friends.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.

Slinky

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    It would be great to be able to participate in a Texas Group Hang.

For those curious Fairfield is about 3/4s of the way to Dallas from Houston.

I intend to try and get my girlfriend to plan to go on this with me.
    Since we are driving, we will be able to take just about everything needed,
    including a backup tent (egads, did I just admit to that?).

How well do the camp areas transition for Hangers? Do we need to plan
    on bringing tripods, or are there plenty of trees?

How much does entrance to this park cost and will there be any fees for
    the group hang, to help with any of the costs?

It would be great to be able to do a group buy ahead of time, and then have
    some DIY group sessions with the group buy materials.

As it stands now, I am a firm "maybe", although I will be lobbying all of my
    girlfriend-faction to change this status to two "yes, I am going".

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    I have gotten a tenative YES from my significant other.
    We are definitely going to need to practice our hammock
    methods, and outdoors skills before going to this group hang.

I have much experience, being an Eagle Scout, and she has
    only had limited tent camping experience with me. Luckily,
    she has no aversions to roughing it, and the dirty outdoors.

I've bagged a keeper!

As for things that I would like to discuss or talk about on this group
    hang, there are MANY different elementary camping procedures
    that we can have little lessons on. My favorites are Leave No Trace
    (the reason I transitioned to hammocks), Knots (different types for
    different uses and how to choose), Fire starting/building/ettiquite
    (including how to make char-cloth and vaseline cotton balls),
    whittling wood trinkets and custom hiking sticks.

In addition to all of this, I can't wait to see everyone's DIY projects,
    and to talk about what they have planned next. There is nothing like
    sitting around and talking hammocks and gear.

In addition to a pure giveaway, it would be fun to host a white elephant
    gift swap. Anyone who brings an item to swap (value 3 dollars and up)
    can take part in the white elephant. It would be funny to see which gear
    gets grabbed the most, and a white elephant is awfully fun!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sail1987 View Post
    How well do the camp areas transition for Hangers? Do we need to plan on bringing tripods, or are there plenty of trees?

How much does entrance to this park cost and will there be any fees for
    the group hang, to help with any of the costs?

It would be great to be able to do a group buy ahead of time, and then have
    some DIY group sessions with the group buy materials.
    It would be great to have the two of you, or more, join us and you have some excellent questions!

It might be good to look at the threads from last year and before to learn a bit. They may answer questions or create some more.

This will be the 5th year that we've had our group hang at Fairfield, (and several of us hang there regularly throughout the year), and as good as Texas State Parks are, and as many of them that I have been to, there are not any that I can think of that are as hammock friendly as Fairfield.

There are plenty of trees, however if one plans on bringing the kitchen sink and you have some simple stands, bring them along and have even more options. We also love "show and tell" and stands are fun for that too.

As for costs, you are correct that there is a park entrance fee and campsite fees. Each person is responsible to the park directly for those costs. Frequently folks on here share sites to save on costs. For price details as well as park rules and regs, the best thing to do is check out the link in the opening thread for Fairfield.

Everyone is on their own for food too with a couple of exceptions. My bride and I put together the fixings breakfast tacos for anyone that wants to join in on Saturday morning and there will be a pot luck dinner Saturday night, no cost involved, just bring something to share.

Group buys and DIY are something we have done in the past and can certainly consider again. What did you have in mind?

In the past we have had several "classes" ranging from splicing to foraging and bush craft to dutch oven cooking. If you have a skill to teach or an interest to learn, let the group know on here and the odds are good it can be shared.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The place is rife with Cookiecoons. Not that that's a bad thing.

I'm in, will bring the grandchildren, the granddogs, the Wonder Dog, and his Youthful Sidekick.

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    I've never thought about bringing my dog on a group campout.
    I am too afraid that her baying will not stop. She is a beagle,
    and she is friendly, she just loves to bark at any dog.

Do you all bring cages for your pups, or do you just anchor them
    to a tree or stake or such? I am thinking my beagle would be a
    good Cookiecoon deterrent.

UncleMJM, I am not quite sure what DIY would be best. We are having
    a house build for us (done August 31st), and there was a roll of Tyvek
    sitting beside the house. This made me think that our builder can get this
    quite cheap. If someone can round up a WHOLE bunch of bamboo, it would
    be fun to make some tripods like TurtleLady's stands. There are nearly
    unlimited uses for tripods when camping, Washbasins, cooking, lanterns etc.

Amsteel Group buy is probably the most useful buy that I can think of.

SideNote: UncleMJM - the 45 pages of last years hang is a bit laborious
    to comb through for ideas and thoughts about this years hang, but the
    nature's food hike along with some of the other classes sound like a blast.
    Dutch Oven Cooking is also great, but takes SOOOO long for food to be ready.

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    PDF of the Park
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...p4503_078h.pdf

What area will we be hanging in? I would hate to be all the way across
    camp from the other hangers. Big Brown Creek Primitive sounds fun, but
    will this be too far away from the other hangers?

ETA: Hammock Harlem Shuffle would be a hoot!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uncle MJM's information from Texas Hang 2012

What?
    The 5th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang is group car camping for those who like to bring everything; (the location has showers and porcelain facilities for those who won’t leave home without them); day hikes for those inclined; lake paddling, fishing; pot luck dinners; Dutch oven cooking; DIY play time; lots of show and tell along with a little gear trading; group buys; stove tests; drawings for prizes, and some wonderful campfire fellowship.

When?
    The 5th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang is the second weekend in November, (11/8-10, 2013)

Where?
    Fairfield Lake State Park, Fairfield, TX

How do I sign up?
    Add your name and info to the google doc spreadsheet and participant list

Where can I find park maps, rules, and more information?
    We will be at Fairfield Lake State Park in the Springfield camping area. Reservation of sites is recommended but not necessarily required. Check out the link for more information about the park, fees, rules, and amenities.

What is this going to cost me?
    There are no fees for the group event itself; everyone brings their own food and gear, so the only costs are the state park fees for entrance/day use and camp sites. State parks charge a day use fee that is $4.00 per adult per day. (Children 12 and under are free.) The entrance fee is collected by the Park Service folks at the entry gate. If you have a State Park Pass, this fee is waived for all occupants of the vehicle.

Second there is a camp site fee of $12.00 per night. Camp sites accommodate a maximum of 8 people and 2 vehicles.

How do I reserve a site?
    First one can go to the park website and follow the links to reserve a site. When doing an availability search use the parameters: Tents, Water Only, No Electricity and the default will get you to the area called "Springfield" where we will be camping. You pay for the first night in advance and then upon arrival to the park you pay your entry/day use fees per person and the remaining cost of the campsite for as many nights as you are staying.

Some folks like to do this so they can have the privacy of their own site and not share with an unknown scary looking stranger. And that's completely cool.

Others don't mind sharing a site and splitting the cost and UncleMJM offered to add them to a list of folks for whom he makes the reservation. Upon arrival they still pay the entry fee at the gate and when they get to the camping area they are directed to which site they are sharing. Sometime over the weekend, Alan, who serves as the collection agency/bookie, passes the hat to cover the site costs. A cut off date for making those reservations was set and has passed.

We typically use one site as the main gathering area for campfire and potluck dinners and then spread out to our individual sites the rest of the time.

What do folks do about food?
    Food planning is usually on the top of most folks question list so here are a few tidbits of info: UncleMJM and his date host breakfast on Saturday morning. The breakfast taco fixings will be provided and Oldgringo will have a pot or two of coffee made. Saturday night is traditionally a pot luck dinner with some crazy creative outdoor cooks sharing some good eats. Bring whatever you like and share it. Sometimes there are other meal plans tossed out to the group but usually other meals are on our own. Everyone is responsible for their own plate/bowl/& utensils but if forgotten, there’s usually something paper or plastic brought by someone.

How much food do we need to bring for Saturday for the pot luck; do we need to bring food for 50, or will a side dish of 8-10 servings do?
    Some will fix big pots of food, (chili, soup, stew, gumbo…), but most likely the 8-10 servings concept makes sense. If you are bringing finicky eaters, a good idea is to fix something you know they will like and know that there will be a wide assortment for the adventurous palates in the family.

How many will be attending?
    Last year we were right at 50 folks and the space can accommodate twice that or more. (The first year we had a couple of dozen and the following year over 40.) To date, there are over 90 either committed or indicating an interest in coming.

Should I bring the whole family?
    Yes. This is a great place for kids and first time camping spouses/s.o.

What if I don’t even own a hammock?---but it sounds like a wonderful way to camp.
    It is the best way to camp, however, we also welcome the occasional ground dweller or steel tarp on wheels occupant. If one does not own a hammock, post that to the planning thread and the odds are good someone may offer a spare for “testing”. If it's your first time out and you need help setting up, just ask, someone will be glad to help out. Also frequently folks bring extra gear to sell or trade so it may be a good place to pick up what is needed.

What about firewood?
    State Park rules prohibit gathering of wood. Typically several folks bring wood for the “group camp fire”. For those who like a fire at an individual site, plan on bringing wood or paying for it at the park.

What’s the deal about an Amsteel group buy?
    This year, as in the past, we’ve done a low key group buy that really just gives us a price consistent with what we could also get from one of the HF vendors, we just save on postage, so if you want line before the hang give the business to one of the HF vendors otherwise, UncleMJM will bring what folks ordered to the hang. Although this buy has already closed, in all likelihood, there will be some extra available.

I’m buying line or bringing some, what do I do with it?
    See “Rat” as well as several other folks on site that are experienced splicer’s willing to share their knowledge.

Do I have to wear a name tag?
    All the cool kids are doing it. Usually there are name tag supplies available compliments of “EastTexasHanger”, and it sure helps in large groups, so to avoid an identity crisis go for it if you like.

This is my first group hang, what should I remember to bring?
    Everyone should plan on coming completely “self-contained” as on any camping trip. Group specific things might include a comfortable chair for camp fire lounging, a dish for the Saturday night pot luck, any spare gear you’d like to show off, sell, or trade. Also if you have some item you’d like to donate to the Saturday night drawing feel free to do so.

Where can I find out about rules relating to fishing, alcohol, quiet hours…?
    Nothing wrong with a good brew among friends, just two cautions...
    1. There is a public consumption rule at State Parks.
    2. Remember, this is a family event.
    Here's the link concerning park rules and regulations.

I hear it's ok to shoot coyotes in Texas when walking your dog, right? Or is that just for Governors?
    Good question on the rules. The short answer is that the details can be found here. In the past we've been really good neighbors and not had any issues with section 59.134 Rules of Conduct to include: fires in the wrong places, unattended unregistered vehicles, public consumption of alcohol, public nudity, firearm issues, or unleashed/unattended children or pets.

So, although shooting coyotes while dog walking is as much a part of our culture as hitting armadillos trying to cross the road, it's just not allowed in the State Parks.
    Last edited by Trambo; 07-16-2013 at 12:56. Reason: Added information from UncleMJMs 2012 Post

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sail1987 View Post
    I've never thought about bringing my dog on a group campout. I am too afraid that her baying will not stop. She is a beagle, and she is friendly, she just loves to bark at any dog.

Do you all bring cages for your pups, or do you just anchor them to a tree or stake or such? I am thinking my beagle would be a good Cookiecoon deterrent.

UncleMJM, I am not quite sure what DIY would be best. We are having a house build for us (done August 31st), and there was a roll of Tyvek sitting beside the house. This made me think that our builder can get this quite cheap. If someone can round up a WHOLE bunch of bamboo, it would be fun to make some tripods like TurtleLady's stands. There are nearly unlimited uses for tripods when camping, Washbasins, cooking, lanterns etc.

Amsteel Group buy is probably the most useful buy that I can think of.

SideNote: UncleMJM - the 45 pages of last years hang is a bit laborious to comb through for ideas and thoughts about this years hang, but the nature's food hike along with some of the other classes sound like a blast. Dutch Oven Cooking is also great, but takes SOOOO long for food to be ready.
    Quiet dogs are great to have on hangs. If you have a dog that you camp with regularly and is great around other people and dogs, by all means bring it.

As for the 45 pages of last years hang, you're right it is laborious. Part of what made so many pages though came from answering the same questions several times for several folks who didn't read what had been posted in the same thread. As an aide to help keep this year's thread more manageable, my hope is that folks will use last year's thread as a resource.

Amsteel does work well for a group buy. I've actually done one several times and would be happy to do it again if there is enough interest. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, we'll be at the Springfield, water only section.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast