Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Klymit Static V Insulated Pad

I've been using a Klymit Intertia X-Frame since spring and I like it very much. In cooler weather, I'm putting it on top of a Poncho liner inside the hammock. It's kept me toasty warm down to the 40's with lots of wind.

However, I was looking to lose the extra weight and shiftiness (is that a word?) of the poncho liner, so I picked up the Klymit Static V insulated pad. It has an R value of 4.4 and due to the shape of the baffles, conforms to the shape of the hammock very well, even when fully inflated. I did a test hang for comfort last night in the backyard and found it very comfortable. It's easy to get on and doesn't slip around due to the fabric texture of the underside. I'll camp with it this weekend.

I'm hoping that using this pad, and a 3/4 20 degree underquilt (thinking about the Phoenix) will get me 3 1/2 seasons. The other 1/2 season I can stay at home and long for better camping weather ;^} For added insulation too, I can slip a reflectix pad between the bottom layers of the hammock.

For $89, with the insulation value and hammock friendly shape, I think it's a winner in the pad department. It's bigger (72" x 23" vs 72" x 20") and lighter (25 oz. vs 32oz) than the Medium Exped Down 7, insulates pretty well (R4.4 compared to R5.9 for the Exped), and less than half the price.

I will report back after the weekend. Anyone else use the insulated (or uninsulated) Static V?
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Report please. I'm on the fence about this mat.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapang! View Post
    Report please. I'm on the fence about this mat.
    Ok, so I gave it as good a test as I could on the weekend. Night temps dipped to 8 degrees C which is 46F. The pad was just fine. very comfortable and no trace of cold at all. I was sleeping with a 40 degree sleeping bag as a top quilt and stayed very warm. I put the sleeping bag hood over my face and make a little microclimate inside the bag. I also wrap the bag sides around my shoulders so they don't get cold. I'm going to make an SPE for the Klymit and put reflectix in the wings. Condensation isn't an issue for me because I'm always breathing in fresh air from a cpap machine outside the quilt.

The pad fits the shape of the hammock quite well and is long enough for me (I'm 5'9"). I even side slept for a while on it and it was good. I don't know how much lower it'll go but I'll keep trying. Also, my hammock is a double layer and I had the klymit pad inside with me. My plan is to use the HH Double bubble reflective pad between layers to go even lower. But this weekend was all about trying the Klymit on its own. It's a great pad and I don't think you can touch it for the money.

i had one of those before getting into hammocks...should have kept it, it was sweet.....

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by William36 View Post
    i had one of those before getting into hammocks...should have kept it, it was sweet.....
    It's quite possibly the perfect hammock pad. very easy to get on and stay on. And it's warm. I think with this pad, a dl hammock and a space blanket, you could go as low as you would ever need to. I don't want to wish the summer away but I'm really looking forward to fall / winter camping this year.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    As i understand it, the cut out spaces are designed for use with a sleeping bag, right? Places that your body would compress are pad now, and as for the points of no contact, the bag can loft into those spaces and keep you warm.

So how does that work if you just have a topquilt. Wouldn't u have cold spots because there is no underinsulation to loft into the klymit's spaces?

Is the pluq that lofty?

Edit....never mind...just read your excellent post in tbe other Klymit thread in this subforum. thx.
    Last edited by sturgeon; 08-15-2013 at 16:51.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I recently went from a 20 degree underquilt only bottom layer to a 3 layer system using the Klymet Intertia X Wave(short and wide) with a 1/8"x72"x24" Evazote pad and a 30 degree underquilt.

I often do hiking in areas without many trees and there can be days when hammock hanging is difficult in some sections. I wanted to be covered with some reasonable ground insulation that would also add to the warmth in the hammock and not add much weight

The light weight and the wide width makes the Klymit a good choice for both, but I suspect the new wide Gossamer Gear pad(also made by Klymit) would also do well for this purpose.

The 1/8" pad is just to extend the temperature a little more and help protect the Klymit on those nights that I have to go to ground, but it also adds to the warmth for corner season hammock hangs.

I also found that adding the 30 degree underquilt folded in half to the under layers when ground camping adds a little more warmth and cushion, not a lot, but enough to maybe get me down to just below freezing. I'll need to do more testing to know how far below freezing.
    Last edited by brooklynkayak; 12-16-2013 at 11:27.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I just ran across the static V doing a web search and am thinking of getting one for my WBBB DBL.Looks like good option. Add. Bubble pad and should be good to 20 or below. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I have the green one. Been down to 45 with it and a 20 light year down bag. I will say it's super comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    When I was in the market for a new pad they didn't have a long version. I would have this pad right now if they did.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast