Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Potential hammock stand component

I was looking at some webbing on shipperssupplies.com today and I noticed some links for tent frame fittings.

http://www.shipperssupplies.com/Fram...tFrameFitting/

Screen shot 2013-07-16 at 10.02.30 PM.png

I thought depending on the angle of the pipes it might work for a hammock stand similar to the vario stands. I emailed the people at shippers supplies and Jeremy replied with some interesting information including a picture of the fitting with measurements. Using a little higher math I calculated the angle of the fitting to be around 128 degrees. Jeremy says that the fitting ways 6.25 lbs and the inside diameter of the pipe is 1.375" and the metal is 12 gauge.

I haven't figured out yet what size pipes I'd need to add to two of these to make a hammock stand. Maybe someone with some higher math (and time) can figure that out. Anyone interested in turning this into a hammock stand?

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    would fence rails work or would they be too lightweight? Not sure they would be the right outside diameter either.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Early morning bump. I'm looking for some input on this!

If, big word, they are affordable, you could buy two of them, take them with you to where ever sells pipe/tubing, etc., and see what fits or will do. To me the idea has a good chance of working. That said, you can probably get someone to custom weld up something out of whatever materials you can find handy and that will for sure fit.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoseley7 View Post
    ...the inside diameter of the pipe is 1.375" and the metal is 12 gauge.

I haven't figured out yet what size pipes I'd need to add to two of these to make a hammock stand...
    Tubing or pipe with an O.D. of 1 3/8" (1.375") is fairly small diameter and I'm confident it will not have the strength and stiffness needed in this application unless you use a very heavy walled version. If the brackets I.D. is an accurate 1.375" you would have to use a pipe of even smaller O.D. to get it to fit inside.

The bracket itself seems to have insufficient bracing for long term durability as a hammock stand.

Of course this is all guessing on my end, but my gut feel on these things is usually pretty good after a lifetime in commercial construction and hobbying.

Images
    I wouldn't think tent framing would be desigened for the kinds of loads that you would see using hammocks. At least not this particular version.

There happens to be a tent company in the warehouse space I use. I looked at some of the framing pieces they have and the ID is closer to 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". That's the inner not the outer. These are huge tents and would be sustaining weight (canvas) and wind loads beyond what I could produce as a hanger, and consequently, use a much larger and thicker pipe for the spanning portions of the tent.

Just my gut too, but I wouldn't take the chance on this particular version.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think these things were about $13 a piece not including shipping. I questioned their ability to withstand hammock stresses, but I was hoping the angles might provide some relief. As we've seen with hammock suspension, 30* seems to be the ideal angle for reducing forces on your hammock and suspension (without hanging it from directly above you like a swing). I was wondering if some quant on here could run some numbers to see what the stresses might be on materials at this angle with a given height. I wouldn't think a vario stand would hold up either, but I've never seen one in person so I'm not sure of the diameter or thickness of the tubing they use. I guess the only way to know would be to buy them and test, unfortunately, that expenditure is not in the cards for me right now. Maybe someone on here will be brave enough to try.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Looks stronger and more reinforced than the commercial stand I bought a few years back.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts