ENO sn
    Tarp
    walmart special
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    eno rubber bands

Overwhelmed!

I've been sleeping in a hammock for years. I have an eno sn and the rubberband straps that they sell and a cheap heavy blur walmart tarp. That has been my set up for years.
    Finding this site and reading all of this info has blown my mind. I want en easier and more comfortable system. My eno straps have sucked from the get go. I have to set my hammock up as high as I can reach and as tight as I can get it just to wake up only 2 inches off the ground.
    What would be the easiest route for a basic comfortable hang that can be set up, adjusted, and taken down? I dont too much care about the lightest method. I'm not into that scene yet. This is just in regards to the hammock. Could care less about the tarp. How do I get the sag in my hammock and it nit touch the freaking fround?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    If you want something all premade and ready to slap and go there are several the only company I have experience with is Arrowhead Equipment but Paul over there has been great to work with.

Hammock Suspension

I've gotten my Ridgeline and Guy Lines from him and have a couple of the Cinch Buckle Kits coming in for 2 of our hammocks. We have the TrekLightGear Hammocks and though I enjoy them I wanted something a bit more user friendly.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Yeah, just price around for some decent tree straps. Also decide if you want to add Whoopies. Any of the vendors are going to solve your problem quickly and for not much $$.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    You should be able to find 1" polyester strapping at any Home Depot or even auto parts stores.

As for a tarp, there are many vendors selling many styles, shapes, sizes, weights, and materials. Take an hour or 17 and peruse the Weather Protection section of this site. If you have some spare samolians, I think a cuben tarp is the best bet for backpacking.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Lots of information here-------take it in small doses! You can make your own whoopie slings very easily----lots of tutorials how to do the splices. I thought it seemed complicated and difficult at first, but once you walk thru it, its pretty easy. Tree straps are really easy to make your self---thats where I would start, whoopie slings, toggles and tree straps. Good luck,and have fun!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah, I went to Wal-Mart's auto department and bought the cheap strap tie downs with the wench attached. I cut the strap to desired length and then took a flame to the cut end to stop it from fraying. It has last years and is not super heavy.

Something like these - SmartStraps 14' 1500 lbs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    There are many inexpensive options, I have also ordered from Arrowhead equipment (AHE)
    And Dutch has some nice straps and suspension. http://dutchwaregear.com/components/
    You have a very easy fix with different straps and if you want you can go whoopies or buckles for adjustment. Good luck!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    HF member Dejoha (think I have that right) has written a book that is super simple to understand with lots of diagrams. Kindle version is only $4

This will really help you with the feeling of being overwhelmed.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-H...=Ultimate+hang

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    Welcome,
    I have to say a +1 with MountianMan some Dutchware. I have the strap and whoopie set up and I love it. He also has a cinch buckle system that is super easy looking and might fit you well. Check it out.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If you want easy and don't care about weight dump the slap straps and get a set of the ENO Atlas straps. They don't stretch and will work just like your Slap Straps do now.

For ease of hang I would also get a Whoopie Sling to use as a ridge line for the ENO. You can just connect it to the carbineers at each end, adjust it till the set up feels good to you, then leave it there. You will never have to worry about it again because your hang angle will remain constant.

This is exactly what I did for my ENO DBL. I added an ENO bug net, a DIY no sew PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt) along with a decent (not expensive) tarp and I am all set.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast