Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lenteskaļ

Newbie Belgian wants to travel the Amazon area with hammock

Hi hangers

I'm a Belgian girl who got bitten by some infectuous travel bug two years ago and has been in South-East Asia for a 6 months.

No experience with forums at all, and only spent a week in a hammock in Cambodia on the porch of a friend up till now, so a real newbie

I quit my job a few weeks ago and booked a flight to South America (27th of august) where I'll visit Peru, Colombia and Ecuador (or at least, that's the plan since yesterday ^^ )
    So I'm learning some Spanish and also looking into cheap ways to travel.
    I met a guy travelling with a hammock last year, this seemed like a really cool idea, so I landed on this forum eventually and am convinced of travelling hammock style!

I could use some advice though from people who've done the same countries or similar ones with hammocks. After some research, I figure the Hennessy Deep Jungle Asym Zip is the best way to go, as there will be a big part of the Amazon on the itinerary. Any thoughts on this?

Is this too crazy for someone without experience?

Many thanks to all the people who've shared their knowledge here already, this is the best forum ever

Back to work now, my last days ^^

Greetings

Lenteskai

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Are you planning to do this as a solo trip or will you be with other folks who are experienced in that environment? I am all about adventure, but jumping into the amazon with no experience? Ever seen the movie Into the Wild??
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Hi Lenteskai,
    HF member ricktreks, owner of Jungle Treks, conducts trekking expeditions in Panama and other tropical environments.
    He is very experienced in helping/guiding new hammock users and he would be my first stop if I were planning to hang in that part of the world.

This page provides more info and talks about the Darien Tropical hammock that we designed for hanging in this region.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    My limited triple canopy jungle experience says use a hammock with an integral bug net and a double layer bottom. Take as many pictures as you can.

Lenteskaļ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Are you planning to do this as a solo trip or will you be with other folks who are experienced in that environment? I am all about adventure, but jumping into the amazon with no experience? Ever seen the movie Into the Wild??
    I read the book As I understood, you hire local guides and there are plenty of agencies offering trekkings. But I won't be doing trekkings all the time, so in towns for example, I would need places where it is safe to sleep in a hammock alone. Accomodation is pretty expensive, so the idea is to use the hammock most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Hi Lenteskai,
    HF member ricktreks, owner of Jungle Treks, conducts trekking expeditions in Panama and other tropical environments.
    He is very experienced in helping/guiding new hammock users and he would be my first stop if I were planning to hang in that part of the world.

This page provides more info and talks about the Darien Tropical hammock that we designed for hanging in this region.
    Thank you for the info PapaSmurf! I'm checking it out now!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Have not hung my hammock in Ecuador, but have hung it in Colombia and Peru.

You will want a double-layer something and I would suggest treating the crud out of your suspension. The flying bugs down there are not half as terrifying as the crawling bugs. Jungles are one of the few places where I opt for a pad over an underquilt, but many nights nothing is needed below in terms of insulation. These are the nights when you really will want two layers of fabric to keep the biting things from biting through.

It is not too crazy without experience because there is only one way to get experience and that is by doing whatever It is. That said, there is no good reason for anybody to be alone in those jungles. I can preach for paragraphs about what to avoid and embrace, but just be sure of the guide service you use. The good ones will give you the names/phone/email of previous clients. If they won't, find another one.

Say hello to my pink dolphin friends in the river and enjoy the beauty of the South American jungles. They are magnificent!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Sound great, welcome to the forums and you will find we look out for each other on here, and +1 on the pictures hope you have an awesome adventure
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have lived in Venezuela, Colombia, and Brazil, and I need to tell you that the Amazon forest is nothing to trifle with. Plan your steps carefully, and make sure that you are in good company always.

Lenteskaļ
    Thanks so much for the replies Being new to hammocks, I'll take the safe option and go with the HH jungle hammock: double layer and pad. Can't wait to start practising

Will definately post pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Have not hung my hammock in Ecuador, but have hung it in Colombia and Peru.

You will want a double-layer something and I would suggest treating the crud out of your suspension. The flying bugs down there are not half as terrifying as the crawling bugs. Jungles are one of the few places where I opt for a pad over an underquilt, but many nights nothing is needed below in terms of insulation. These are the nights when you really will want two layers of fabric to keep the biting things from biting through.

It is not too crazy without experience because there is only one way to get experience and that is by doing whatever It is. That said, there is no good reason for anybody to be alone in those jungles. I can preach for paragraphs about what to avoid and embrace, but just be sure of the guide service you use. The good ones will give you the names/phone/email of previous clients. If they won't, find another one.

Say hello to my pink dolphin friends in the river and enjoy the beauty of the South American jungles. They are magnificent!
    Thanks for that piece of advice, and love the way you put it, Cannibal
    It's all about feeling alive. Although travelling isn't always fun, it makes me happier than anything else does.
    Being free from society obligations, experiencing new things every day and needing to take care of yourself completely. A fast way to evolve as a human being.
    If you leave for a trip like this, you never really come back, you evolve into somebody else At least I hope that will be the case this time too ^^

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Hi Lenteskai,

This is ricktreks. I live in Panama and have traveled extensively in South America. The Amazon region is hot and humid. Like Cannibal says, in most places no insulation is needed. At some point however you'll probably want to travel up to the Andes where it's cold and there are no trees. In such cases, you either find a public building like a school or health center, to string up your hammock between the pillars. Or you find a cheap hostal or get invited into someone's house.

You'll want your shelter to be lightweight and compact, even if it's to stow it away while not being used. The Deep Jungle HH you're looking at, in my opinion is overkill. Way too heavy at 1.2 Kg single layer, let alone double layer. Another disadvantage with Hennessy is that the stock tarp that comes with the hammock doesn't give you enough protection in a torrential tropical downpour, like the ones you'd probably encounter in the Amazon.

One big advantage HH is that their hammocks are in stock and ready to ship.

If I were you, and since you have a bit of time, I would check with www.Dream-hammock.com to see if they have anything in stock or can make you one before you leave on your trip. The Darien hammock is specifically designed for the tropics and warm weather.

For tarps, you can check out www.Arrowhead-equipment.com which is having a sale right now, or www.WildernessLogics.com who also makes great tarps.

For lightweight and and compactable pads, you can look into www.GossamerGear.com, they have a selection of Thinlight pads. Make sure to get the Wide one that can cover your shoulders and arms.

These companies are all in located in the US. If you need something closer to home, check out www.ukhammocks.co.uk and ask them what they can do for you. My point being that I would shop around a bit, before committing.

Just a thought,

R

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast