DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

AHE Shangri-La

Any opinions on this tarp? I've read a lot but have not seen it mentioned at all. Most people recommend WB Superfly or HG Winter Palace. Those are awesome tarps, but I'm in Southern California, where we get maybe 2 weeks of rain per year. Since I mostly backpack, I would like to keep weight down.

The big difference on this tarp is the tapered cut. I think it would compare against the WB Edge or the WL Tadpole, but it's wider on one end and narrower on the other.

So what do you think? Good idea, or just stick with one that is symmetrical on both axex?

-Joe

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I've got one...well my backpacking son now has one would be more accurate. Got the Toxaway and Shangri La at the same time and prefer the Toxaway for moto camping. Compared size wise to the WB Edge tarp the Shangri La is a smidge bigger but I'd not want any smaller.Tested it thoroughly in the backyard lab under the sprinklers (positioned to allow many different spray angles) and found it covers the WBBB well (disclaimer; if set up well). It makes a decent front porch too. Were I cutting weight the Shangri La would be my go to tarp without hesitation.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    thanks for the feedback! sounds good so far =)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have one, really like it. Small and light weight when packed, at least I think so. Here are some pics with my WBBB. I have been through some rain and it kept me dry. I also have a DIY tarp I made, which I use sometimes when car camping, but if hiking...this is what I carry.

"I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    With a side entry hammock, I don't see much purpose for the tapered cut. I have an OR Helium tarp that I don't use anymore - mostly because its heavy - that has the same type of cut, wider on one end. Its great for the bottom entry HH where you want coverage on the entry end and don't care about that on the other end. Otherwise, I don't see that the tapered end saves that much in weight while somewhat sacrificing middle coverage where you mostly want it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i get what you are saying dakotaross, but here's my thought process. as i mentioned, i don't need a ton of coverage, and i want light weight, so my other choices would be the Edge or the Tadpole. both of those are about 7.6 feet wide the whole way. the shangrila on the other hand is 7 feet on the one end, but then almost 10 feet on the other. so i think the 8" sacrifice on the one end is worth the 24" gain on the other.

edit/ oh and thank you for the pics!!!! really helps to see it in all of the configurations!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    With a side entry hammock, I don't see much purpose for the tapered cut. I have an OR Helium tarp that I don't use anymore - mostly because its heavy - that has the same type of cut, wider on one end. Its great for the bottom entry HH where you want coverage on the entry end and don't care about that on the other end. Otherwise, I don't see that the tapered end saves that much in weight while somewhat sacrificing middle coverage where you mostly want it.
    I flat out disagree, if you are looking to save weight. Not much weight, granted. Just what you can readily calculate..But look at the steep cat cut hex tarps that go unquestioned even as they, in my experience, are serious compromises in coverage. (They remind me of lightweight racing bicycle tires. Light weight being so highly prized, they are mostly undersized, which is to say that to get the comfort and speed of a 23mm wide tire, you must buy a nominal 25mm or 28mm tire. )

As I have put it elsewhere (and too many times). My feet are sightless and I am alone in my hmmk. So, I can bring the foot-end down low and forward for better coverage in blowing wind, and I retain all the view I want at the head end.

The above is with the older Clark Vertex, of similar design. They both share in a yet older design that DIYgear used to have up.

No, nothing wrong with this tarp / rain-fly; I can't recall any complaints with workmanship, quality, or price, either.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I can't say I put a tremendous amount of thought in the design of the tarp when I originally purchased it, I mean I did look at the tapered design as a savings, but I was a newbie so had not really camped in a hammock enough to have much of an opinion. Now that I have used it quite a lot, I really like the setup. I feel I have plenty of coverage at the head end, and can bring the foot end in nice an tight if I want. My whole setup, with ridge line and tie outs, in the stuff sack, is 15oz. I think it's a great little tarp for the money, and the workmanship is top notch, in my opinion. Paul does great work. I have one of his KAQ under quilts also, great piece of kit.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    did you order yours with any additional options/extras? any that you wish you had?

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    I can't say I put a tremendous amount of thought in the design of the tarp when I originally purchased it, I mean I did look at the tapered design as a savings, but I was a newbie so had not really camped in a hammock enough to have much of an opinion. Now that I have used it quite a lot, I really like the setup. I feel I have plenty of coverage at the head end, and can bring the foot end in nice an tight if I want. My whole setup, with ridge line and tie outs, in the stuff sack, is 15oz. I think it's a great little tarp for the money, and the workmanship is top notch, in my opinion. Paul does great work. I have one of his KAQ under quilts also, great piece of kit.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Re: AHE Shangri-La

No, just the tarp. Had to seal the ridge seam, but Paul sent the sealer with the tarp. Not sure if he still does or not. I added my ridge line and pullouts. I use Zing-it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast