Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    The stuff can be a little dangerous... because of its high strength-to-diameter it can slice right into you. The first time I used it fishing, I was trolling and hung up. I grabbed the line in my hand and started pulling and was shocked when it quickly cut through my skin. It doesn't stretch like old-fashioned monofilament fishing line. That incident scared me a little and made me cautious about the stuff.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    so I sleeved the end 6" with 150 lb. dacron the way I used to do for kite lines, then tied a bowline in the sleeved part to form a permanent loop...
    I was thinking of doing the same thing with the outer jacket from some paracord so that it wouldn't cut through the tarp tieouts.

I don't know what they're called, but tent tie down lines sometimes come with plastic tab things on the end of them for adjusting the tension. They would be good on the fishing line so you wouldn't have to tie/untie any knots in the field.

My daughter and I did figure out a solution to it tangling in the pack though (we use a long length of it for a fish leash), we spool it up on a plastic bobbin (now that I'm a diy camper I have such things). You could cary quite a bit of it that way. In fact I think a bobbin full of 50# and a gorge hook is going to replace my entire backpack tackle box.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I think half the folks here have not seen what you are talking about.
    I had the same thought when I first posted. The old school braided line was like the cord they use for retractable badge holders. The new stuff is thin (usually green) and sort of waxy. It makes the older stuff seem very fat by comparisson.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    The stuff can be a little dangerous... because of its high strength-to-diameter it can slice right into you. The first time I used it fishing, I was trolling and hung up. I grabbed the line in my hand and started pulling and was shocked when it quickly cut through my skin. It doesn't stretch like old-fashioned monofilament fishing line. That incident scared me a little and made me cautious about the stuff.
    That's a good point. Thanks. You could tie it up in a lot of potentially disasterous ways if you weren't careful. Accidentally clotheslining someone with the stuff could be fatal.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad & PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    I have also witnessed people being cut by this type of fishing line. If you were careful with I don't think it would be a problem but any cut out on a camping trip is not a good thing to deal with.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    I think that this type of line would be small and strong.
    However its size is going to cause extra problems.
    Sure, you could get the high visibility stuff, but even
    that is hard to see. The chance of tripping or even
    garotting yourself on this line is significantly higher.
    I would be very cautious about using this type of line
    anywhere around a family campsite.

Hammock
    Human
    Tarp
    Typhoon and DIY
    Insulation
    Philippines
    Suspension
    UCR
    Kinda like Bank Line I would think. Should work. Lord knows I used braided dacron, spiderwire, fireline, and the like for stuff other than fishing... Only problem I can think of is this stuff is often black or dark in color and very small diamter - seeing it and not tripping over it.... That and it can cut through stuff too - including the skin on our shins!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastczarnian View Post
    I have also witnessed people being cut by this type of fishing line. If you were careful with I don't think it would be a problem but any cut out on a camping trip is not a good thing to deal with.
    I agree. There's light and there's dangerously light, even if it's theoretically possible. If you stumble into an ultra-thin, ultra-strong line like that with bare skin it can spell real problems. I personally wouldn't go less than 1.5mm for tarp flies, guys or anything like that, no matter how strong it is. For whipping, braided line can be great, also as a twine for emergency sewing repairs. I use waxed sailmakers twine for sewing and whipping, particularly good for things like sewing webbing and repairing rucksacks etc. It's amazingly strong.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've always found the stuff a monsterous pain in the butt to tie, but if you can work well with it then good on you mate.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigerot View Post
    I've always found the stuff a monsterous pain in the butt to tie, but if you can work well with it then good on you mate.
    I guess it depends on which brand you use. I love it, and because it's waxed, if you whip a rope with it, you can hold it above a flame (carefully) and melt the wax which seals and binds the whip very well. The type I use is Marlow no 4 whipping twine. I used it tonight to sew a loop in my webbing strap. It is so quick because it doesn't take many stitches to make a very strong join. Also, it is easy to see, and with a sailmakers needle you can thread it easily.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast