Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks

Braided fishing line for tie-outs and such?

This stuff is incredibly strong, light weight and abrasion resistant, and it's also remarkably inexpensive compared to all of the other high tech cordage that I've heard mentioned here. For example: Zebco 50lb test is about $12 for 150 yards (<$0.03/ft.), and it's about 0.75mm thick. It's also abundant and readily available (no need to pay for shipping).

I've used the stuff for years to tie or safety pin things that I don't want to loose to my clothing or backpack. I've never seen it break or wear all the way through. You can drop line fish with it. In a pinch, you could even hand braid it for extra strength.

What do you think; am I crazy, or is this a good idea? I'm going to try some on my next camping trip, and see how it does as a utility cordage.

EDIT: One downside is that it can be a little tough to untie without a safety pin or something.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I am interested in your findings...

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by p0key View Post
    This stuff is incredibly strong, light weight and abrasion resistant, and it's also remarkably inexpensive compared to all of the other high tech cordage that I've heard mentioned here. For example: Zebco 50lb test is about $12 for 150 yards (<$0.03/ft.), and it's about 0.75mm thick. It's also abundant and readily available (no need to pay for shipping).

I've used the stuff for years to tie or safety pin things that I don't want to loose to my clothing or backpack. I've never seen it break or wear all the way through. You can drop line fish with it. In a pinch, you could even hand braid it for extra strength.

What do you think; am I crazy, or is this a good idea? I'm going to try some on my next camping trip, and see how it does as a utility cordage.

EDIT: One downside is that it can be a little tough to untie without a safety pin or something.
    It would be hard to keep it from tangling. Even using 50 lb test (fairly thick) for leaders, it's very tangle prone.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144&quot;x60&quot;
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    It would be hard to keep it from tangling. Even using 50 lb test (fairly thick) for leaders, it's very tangle prone.
    You might be right... I've never had a problem with it tangling, but I've only ever used it in short lengths. Do you find that the newer, smaller stuff tangles worse than the old style braided line? I think the newer stuff would be better, since it doesn't seem to have any memory at all.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144&quot;x60&quot;
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerflop View Post
    I am interested in your findings...
    It'll be a couple of weeks.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Yes, tangling can be an issue with fishing line.

But, short made-up applications don't cause me problems. You can find 250lb test braided Dyneema / Spectra line directly from Chinese makers......or plenty-strong braided black Dacron shoemaker line of about the same 1mm. size.

Both make eye-splices for a neat appearance. The absence of knots makes it easier to shake out tangles, but I don't have them when I bundle lines with a Fig 8 technique.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Do you mean using it for guy lines and such? Or or loops to tie guy lines into?

First, I think you would find it incredibly fiddly. The thin line would be hard to get a good grip on to tie down with any tension; they're pretty slippery and the thinness doesn't help at all. Second, you need to use specific knots that won't come undone for the same reason, you'd need to cut it when packing up (or at least next time you set up and the length turns out not to be right). And additionally, those lines are generally designed to be very non-elastic to give a good connection with the fish; a property perhaps not so good in that application.

As tie-down loops, it would perhaps work better, if you figured out a way to fasten it properly. The downsides I would see is that they are so thin they'll wear through the material connecting to it. I.e. the tarp/tent/hammock or whatever, as well as the lines fastening to it. I'm not sure how well it holds up to UV as well - I never used the braided lines long enough to see them deteriorate, I switch every season.

But try it. Nobody figures out something clever outside the box by listening to nay-sayers like me!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think half the folks here have not seen what you are talking about. I've used 1mm dacron for similar things with no problem. Should work for tarps.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    I have used 50lb test line twisted back on itself kind of like a flemish twist with pretty good results, and you can wax it to help with untying. That being said, it was just an experiment, and I have only tried it in the field a couple times and never revisited it. Maybe i will try again, since you reminded me.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I tried some 100 lb. test spectra braid for guy lines. Though it's a hollow braid, it's too stiff to splice, so I sleeved the end 6" with 150 lb. dacron the way I used to do for kite lines, then tied a bowline in the sleeved part to form a permanent loop. I could tie a slippery taut line hitch in the other end, and this actually wo0rked pretty well. I had minimal problems with tangles, and it was definitely ultra-light. I stopped using these guy lines because the line was red, and it's so thin that it was practically invisible - always getting tripped over. I still carry a couple of 8' lines as spares or line extenders for the new zing-it tie outs.
    -----
    Oh, yeah. I forgot to add, it's cheap: 300 yds for $5 on ebay.
    Last edited by WV; 07-19-2013 at 17:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast