Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Hanging for a couple? (indoor bed replacement)

I started talking about this in my intro thread, but this seems a better place for this!

So last week - after much research - hubby bought a vivere hammock with compact stand, as it was the only one that would both fit our room and had the right weight limit (of 450 lbs -- we're a bit under 400 lbs together).

Set it up - nice and simple - and first he hopped in then I hopped in. Felt nice and solid for both of us, so we both hopped in. It was comfy if a little short... then I noticed we were slowly sinking to the ground. The stand is now shaped like this: |__/ instead of this: \__/ .. ugh!

The good news is, we've been swapping sleeping in it all week and it hasn't bent any more, so we're likely keeping it. The bad news is, I *can not* fall asleep on the bed anymore... and we'd rather be able to sleep in the same space.

So, I'm looking for some hanging solutions! I do not trust our walls or ceiling (they've been badly modified), and the 15' stands with 600 lb weight limit is too long for the room (it would fit at a diagonal, but then we couldn't get to dressers or closet in one direction, or leave the room in the other)

We're pretty handy so willing to go DIY on a stand, and I've seen some really nice ones here. I don't know how to figure out weight limits though, and none of those I've found so far say if they work for a 2+person one

My own ideas:

-repurpose an old steel swing set (possibly too short as they seem to come in 6' lengths?)

-build a wooden 'swing set' with short legs and no swings (weight limits/does hanging from an overhead bar even allow the kind of spread we'd need for two people?)

-build something like THIS (are there instructions somewhere? Also, weight limits there?)

The easiest idea - that I'm not fond of - is just getting a second vivere stand and sleeping separately. We already have a second hammock that works in it.

Sooo... any other ideas? I think mostly I need to know how to figure out weight limits and get designs for building my own.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    read the two turtle___ stand threads along with the 2x4 stands and I think you will come up with an interesting variant.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    read the two turtle___ stand threads along with the 2x4 stands and I think you will come up with an interesting variant.
    I believe he speaks of this thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51787

and this thread
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...&postcount=564

and maybe this thread
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=76280

Enjoy

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you have an unsolvable dilemma. My wife specializes in these things: she states what she wants, checks out the possibilities and doesn't like any of the possibilities.

1. Two people in a hammock blows chunks. You're choosing intimacy over comfort.
    2. Walls won't support hammock.
    3. Stand won't support hammock.
    4. Two stands not a very good option.

Don't know what to tell you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonyspork View Post
    -build something like THIS (are there instructions somewhere? Also, weight limits there?)
    The original DIY build of that stand starts on post #23 of this thread by Sgt Rock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If I were (be allowed to..Mrs. G is..well Mrs. G) to do a couples indoor set up...

If your house is up to the task I would go with something like this and skip the stands

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Or this

The ceiling will need to be stout.

Images
    Wow SilvrSurfr. Was that even a necessary comment? I may be a complete noob... but is this how you treat people asking about options?

I said *this* stand doesn't support it and am looking at other options. I know the wall option isn't viable in ANY case and wondered if making a stand that's both strong and short (ish... this stand is 9' and the room is 13x11, so plenty of room to make a bigger one... but commercially available ones between 10 and 12 feet he's been able to find don't meet the weight requirement needs) would be. I know that it was comfortable when we were both in it, so it wouldn't be 'trading comfort for intimacy' (wow... what?), and we're keeping the current stand around anyway (already had this conversation with hubby in fact. He thinks it'd be fine for two in one hammock all the time and I... don't XD). Being able to have a stand that more than one person can be in is good anyway if for nothing other than lounging around with the family in. Soo... yeah. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the links, lesspayne and cannibal!

*edit* oh man gargoyle -- that looks awesome! I don't think the ceiling could take it though

*edit again* cannibal... that is exactly what I was looking for! Material list and a drawing. Perfect! I could possibly add a beam at the top so something similar to what happened with the current one doesn't happen, or something
    Last edited by spoonyspork; 07-19-2013 at 20:17. Reason: adding comments after ninja

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sounds like you have an unsolvable dilemma. My wife specializes in these things: she states what she wants, checks out the possibilities and doesn't like any of the possibilities.

1. Two people in a hammock blows chunks. You're choosing intimacy over comfort.
    2. Walls won't support hammock.
    3. Stand won't support hammock.
    4. Two stands not a very good option.

Don't know what to tell you.

I have seen via youtube people using their walls w/ eye-hooks. This won't work? How do people set up in doors then?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There are lots of arguments about hanging from walls/doors/ceilings/stands; let's not hash them out here. The OP is asking for suggestions, so let's stick with that.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast