For those of you who have cut your HH ridgeline...

I am disappointed with my HH that I really can't sit in it as a chair because of the ridgeline hitting me in the head. After reading the forums, I have seen that many of you have cut it and reattach the ridgeline using a carabiner for this very purpose of sitting in it, lying on top, etc.

Did you see any change in your hammock after doing this? Is your HH the same shape, etc. after this modification?

Also, at times in the warmer months, I may want to sleep on top of the hammock and netting (without the ridgeline). Is this doable and comfortable?

Thanks for any comments.

Mike Homan
    www.HomanDesigns.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Have not gotten up the courage to cut the HH ridgline. If I was to do so I would copy HappyCamper's setut and use a Niteize s-biner to attach the two ends. Look in her gallery to see if there is a pic there. I do not recall any posts about sleeping in a HH without the ridgeline deployed as that is what sets the hammock's sag. Others here may have different info.

As for laying on top of the bugnet, I have 2Q's mod #2 so my bug net unzips and ties all the way back. Search for bugnet mod to find the thread. It's about $50 and the workmanship of 2Q's wife ZQ is of professional quality. I slept with the bugnet tied back this past weekend and really enjoyed it. The bugnet does block some wind, though, which is helpful in certain instances. I personally would not want to sleep on top of it for fear of ripping it.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Unless you get some extra cordage, you will loose a bit of ridgeline length. After having said this though there is someone who recently shortened their ridgeline and noticed an increase in comfort from the loss of that pressure point you get in the middle of the hammock body. If you decide you want to put it back to full length though I'm sure you could just get some extra amsteel or w/e they make HH ridgelines out of.

Also why would you want to loose the bugnet right when the insects start coming out for the warmer months? Most people only go netless in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Unless you get some extra cordage, you will loose a bit of ridgeline length. After having said this though there is someone who recently shortened their ridgeline and noticed an increase in comfort from the loss of that pressure point you get in the middle of the hammock body. If you decide you want to put it back to full length though I'm sure you could just get some extra amsteel or w/e they make HH ridgelines out of.

Also why would you want to loose the bugnet right when the insects start coming out for the warmer months? Most people only go netless in the winter.
    The bugs don't bother me much - I hardly ever use any type of bug spray. I did a trip last year in June at Lake Jocassee and the guy I went with was et' up so much his eyes were swollen that his wife thought he got into a fight. I didn't have a single bite on me (except for the Yellow Jackets when I stepped on their nest trying to hang my HH).

When I do a pack in for a fly fishing trip, sometimes I just want to lie down for a quick siesta in the afternoon before I hit the river again. The "ridgeline cut /add a carabiner" modification seems pretty simple but I don't want to screw the hammock.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I've done the ridgeline cut to a couple of HH's. If you are careful with your knots, the length of whatever biner or screwlink you use to re-attach the ridgeline will add enough length back to have the ridge length be unaffected.

And yes, if you flip the hammock over to have the netting be underneath the fabric, with the ridgeline down, you can lay in it as if it were a netless hammock. I've used just that approach when using as a chair, but I've never slept in it that way.

If you are so immune to bugs, then why carry the weight of netting at all? Perhaps you'd be better off with a completely netless model...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    If you are careful with your knots, the length of whatever biner or screwlink you use to re-attach the ridgeline will add enough length back to have the ridge length be unaffected.
    Agreed. I used two bowlines with small loops and added a worthy biner that was only about 2 inches in length and believe I either broke even or lost an inch at most. Has worked well in testing but hasn't gotten any trail time yet.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I popped my ridgeline being an idiot and since have retied using a 150lbs micro beiner. works fine imo.

• + New Posts