WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Can someone suggest a campground in NE NJ?

I want to take my friends white water rafting on the Delaware River, and afterwards camp at a nearby campsite. I was hoping to get some suggestions from you folks because I need a bit of help My plan is to go up on a Friday or Saturday (pending on schedules), and raft Saturday afternoon and then stay the night(or two) at a campsite. Now, the people that are going, and due to the white water itinerary, I think it would be best to go to a site where we could park our car in the campsite to make it that much easier and suitable for the rest of the group. (Slowly going to ease them in to the backpacking stuff :evil laugh

I remember my first time up there we stayed at a campsite that was a large field for car camping with various sized groups and it was very "manicured". Mowed lawn and no suitable trees within the campsite to hang. This place is absolutely out.

The second one was also a car camping area, but it was wooded and had trees and shade, perfect. I can not remember the camp site though. I feel like it was Stokes but for the life of me I cant remember. Its been a while since I was there, at least 8 years ago.

I was hoping someone on here would have a suggestion or two. Thank you very much!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    worthington state forrest is the one your thinking of? shawnee is right across river.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 07-20-2013 at 13:28.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Thanks! Looks like to do something I once had the chance to do for free, I have to pop 70 bucks - per person including camping! Wow.

I think I need to disregard my sweet job and move back where my hobby can flourish for FREE!

I think it was either Stokes or High Point State Park. Not so sure though. I tried to touch base with my cousin, with whom I went with, but they are so busy with kids and life. Hopefully I hear back soon. Cheers!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ.top varies
    Suspension
    adj web straps
    High Point and Stokes are the furthest north along the Delaware River and still be in Jersey.... Dingmans Ferry is about half way to the Gap where Worthington is...
    You could check with some of the campgrounds further north near Narrowsburg NY and see if they have wooded sites available for a launching point also....
    I know Worthington has some suitable hanging sites, but I guess you would have to talk to someone to make sure those sites were available.
    No Farmers...No Food

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    I always took a trip three days down the Delaware River really no white-water but three days free camping each day 30 miles Milford to the Watergap
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Free camping? How can I find those sites? That sounds great.

Yea I have been rafting down the Delaware before, ::yawn::

I have been white water rafting tons of times down the Penobscot River in Maine, class IV and V's. I am really doing this because I am stuck in NJ and I want some adventure. Going to be taking some newbies who have never been white water rafting, nor backpacked. So I figured leisure white water raft down the Delaware and then car camping.

Ill take what I can get

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    If your yakin and you want to run a little whitewater, check the levels coming out of Nokamixon, class 3 technical at low levels.

Scudders is a 2 but had a couple standing waves and holes.
    The wing dam at Lambertville has stovepipe, a playspot.
    The Lehigh is ok, if you paddle it backwards.
    Otherwise you gotta head to WV to Yough, Cheat, Big Sandy etc.
    Although Great Falls in Va is happening. (We just lost a gal down there couple weeks ago, sux)

Not really time of year for running anything around here but there's been a lot of rain.

Worthington has hanging spots in section one, sites 1-22, but get the ones actually on the water, not the other side of the road. 4-16 seemed ok. Weekdays are your best chance, weekends are pretty booked up.

Just noticed you said weekends, best bet is to call or check online. They are pretty popular spots this time of year.

• + New Posts