Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tadpole or big daddy

I am looking at buying my first hammock tarp. I will be used mostly by my 13 year old daughter Sassafras. We just got off the A.T. after 1400+miles in an attempted thru hike (springer to half way thru new York) I promised her we would get her a hammock when we got home. She tried several out during our hike and she loved them. I set up her grand trunk ultralight in her room and she has been sleeping in it ever night. My wife is making a bug sock and after pricing material we think it would be better to buy a tarp. I think the wilderness logic tadpole would be a good tarp for her looking at weight/price/coverage, but want your thoughts on the tadpole vs big daddy if you could only have on tarp. We will get back on the trail for a few weeks and hike New Hampshire (she has hiked all of Maine so if we finish new Hampshire she will have about 300 left to complete the trail) and she really want ts to bring a hammock. We were using a big Agnes fly creek ul2. This would be the first time using our own shelters. We did stay in shelters for most of our hike, but started using the tent a lot in new Jersey when the bugs became unbearable. Kaboose

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    For the long haul I would go for the Big Daddy for better coverage...get the panel pulls too.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Hello mainebob, I'm spending the summer in Frankfort, Me and can't hang in the RV so I've been under my new Tadpole for over a month. As you know the month of June was fairly wet with all the rain. Then 3? nights ago I rode out a severe Thunderstorm in the hammock. About 30 min ago a hard rain came thru and almost carried away a screen room. Wasn't in the hammock but checked after the rain stopped and some dampness from the blow but nothing wet. For most of my hangs the Tadpole is more than adequate but I may end up with a Big Daddy for those cold hangs.

Planning a laid back hang for the 2-4 of Aug on the back of the property. You and your daughter are more than welcome to join in.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75668
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    I have a Big Daddy with doors and it has been in its share of rain no problems here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    For the long haul I would go for the Big Daddy for better coverage...get the panel pulls too.
    I would say this as well.

I dont know why, but I feel it would be best to have a larger tarp for a youngster. Just less of a fiddle factor, you know they are protected from a wider variety of elements than the smaller Tadpole.

But just my .02 cents.

P.S. I am very proud of your 13 year old. Way to go!!!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My first ever tarp was the tadpole and although I've since bought other tarps I always find myself coming back to the tadpole. Down here in Louisiana, we get some pretty serious rain. Especially in summer, not counting hurricanes. That said when hurricane Isaac came through a buddy and me decided to camp during the storm. I used my tadpole and it withstood upwards of 18 hours of continuos rain. No leakage. I was and still am thoroughly impressed. It's by far my go to tarp. Even in the winter months.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    the Tad Pole and Big Daddy are both world class tarps.
    I use my Tad Pole a lot. I find it to be more than ample coverage to comfortably
    handle rain and snow.
    My 2nd tarp is the Old Man Winter. The OMW is a big tarp that I use when there maybe
    higher wind conditions. The longer walls let me stake it very close to the ground on the windward side.
    The doors can be staked out wide to enlarge the windbreak or I can close the doors completely.
    I will soon have my 3rd tarp (WL New Tarp) that is the best of both worlds.
    I got to use the New Tarp and if I could only have one tarp the New Tarp would be my choice.
    My personal tarp journey was to start with a large tarp (OMW) that could do it all. Then I got my 2nd hammock, my 2nd tarp was a smaller, lighter tarp (TP).
    My 3rd hammock is covered by a mid-size (NT).
    They are all great tarps and I wouldn't change a thing.
    __bob__

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    For the extra few ounces I would definitely go withy the old man winter tarp. Being a young lady privacy is probably important and for the price and size of this tarp it's a gem. Have not seen the new tarp so I can't speak for that one.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Images
    For such long distance hiking I would be concerned about the weight of a very large tarp.
    The Tadpole @ 11'x7.8' and 11 oz seems like a very good choice for the long distance hiker. My favorite size is 130"×104".
    If you thought you might need a little more protection see if Marty from WL would add 1 set of doors.
    If not 2QZQ will add doors at a very reasonable price.

My vote is the Tadpole...
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-21-2013 at 22:34.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/ Henne
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Continuous loop/ b
    Images
    Big Daddy with pullouts

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast