Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mesh tarp skins

mesh tarp skins

Recently olddog posted that he had experienced his first rain storm under the tarp. Well, this past weekend I was in rain off and on for three days, and my superfly held up quiet well, but when it was time to pack up I was on new ground, I had never before had to pack a wet tarp. Brandon's little silnylon stuff sack did yoman service, but I needed something else or thought I did, so I finally installed the mesh tarp skins that I had bought from one of our vendors, I don't remember who, and they look great. It all still fits nicely in the stuff sack, but now I have options for where to put the wet tarp when it happens again.
    Question, do most folks use the stuff sack and skins or just the tarp skins? When dry I like to keep it in the pack, but wet, no.

Hammock
    Hennessey Evader
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Images
    i have never been in the rain with my hammock. I put it and the fly in the skins that came with my HH. I was thinking about getting another set just for the tarp. I have never heard or seen any mesh skins before. sounds like a good idea though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I got the mesh skins a while back. Haven't had a chance to go out and try them for the reason I bought them (i.e. wet weather), but I have to anticipate rain (or at least moisture) every trip I take, so I always plan to pack the tarp separately. Either in its own pocket, or strapped to the outside. I abandoned using a stuff sack in addition to the skins for the tarp when I realised that wrapping it up with the lines around it does more or less the same thing.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

mesh tarp skins

I put the tarp/skins into the stuff sack. I fold/coil the tarp in the sleeves and slip it into the stuff sack. Easy and convenient and if your tarp is wet the moisture stays in the stuff sack.

I use mesh skins and a bishop bag! I just slide the skins over the tarp, then sort of fold/ stuff it into the BB. I keep it on the outside of my pack were its easily accessible!

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If its wet I slid on the snake skins and just sort of drap/tie it over the back of my pack. Other wise it goes back in a stuff sack.

O.K., I have now had a chance to use the mesh skins, plenty of rain in north Ga., and They made dealing with the wet tarp a lot easier. A plus factor is that they made deploying the tarp a bit easier as well. That is the plus factor, the negative is that I will now have to get another couple sets for the other tarps.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Sounds like success, I will try and diy my own.
    Would mesh SS be goid for hammock also?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Newbie here can someone break down the purpose and useage of the Tarp Skins, I've seen them brought up a few times but haven't seen much on useage.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
    Newbie here can someone break down the purpose and useage of the Tarp Skins, I've seen them brought up a few times but haven't seen much on useage.
    Basically, they contain the tarp in a long narrow roll, which is easier to handle while tying off to the trees, as opposed to a loose tarp possibly blowing in the breezes. There is also the benefit of leaving it in the sleeves or skins while hanging the hammock, making that process easier, then slip the skins back to each end and unroll the tarp and stake it out. The process can work in reverse, roll up the tarp slide the skins out to meet in the center, then it is out of the way of bagging your quilts and hammock, then take tarp down last, and if it is wet it is easier to deal with, whether you put it in the stuff sack or coil it on the outside of your pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast