Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images

FL>Ocala National Forest>Hidden Pond>7/20-23/2013>The No Underquilt Hang

Just got back, must say a wonderful time was had by all! It was hot, but not too hot, bugs weren't bad, and it seems it only rained when another hanger was hiking in!! A few quick pics...more to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I see FLRider in orange, bet that's quite the contrast to John Rock last week. Nice pics, need more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I think a great time was had by all....or at least by me!! It was pretty hot, especially on the hike out this afternoon (poor planning on my part) but of course the water in hidden pond was cool and refreshing.

I had the chance to meet a few new faces from the forums and catch up with some more familiar ones. We may have even educated/converted a pair of ground dwellers along the way.

Great trip....thanks to FLRider for shaming us all into battling the summer heat for a hang.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    You KNOW it's too hot for a hang, right? With the summer heat and more-than-occasional thunderstorms, plus the legendary mosquito issue in Florida, why would anyone in their right mind go hang in the woods??? In Florida. In July.

Well, cuz we're just that way, I guess...

Duffy and I drove out to Ocala Forest soon as he got off work Saturday. It was spitting rain when we parked in the little lot, and about +87F or so. I was grateful for the lack of sunshine in the Sunshine State. We headed down the trail around 2:20. For the first little while, the hike was pretty easy - cloud cover and a tiny breeze. The butterfly garden was amazing, my very favorite part of the trail. I don't know what the plants were (I wished Samsara was there to name the butterflies and flowers), but the fluttering insects were there in number - I didn't see Monarchs, most seemed to be swallowtails. It was lovely. The picture I tried to take of the butterflies didn't turn out at all, but I got one of a flower.

There were several 'ponds' along the way - perfectly round sinkholes, that is - and what looked like dry lakebed. I was MOST uncomfortable in the narrow corridor between the junipers, where there was no breeze, but it was manageable. There was a fire here a couple years ago, so a lot of top cover is gone. The burn marks on the trees made patterns that looked painted on.

After some time, we heard thunder and a nice breeze sprang up...and we noticed that there was a storm on two sides of us. Oh. Joy. Strangely enough, the worst of the storms passed us, but it did start to rain enough to warrant getting our brollys out of the packs. I had a small hissy fit, trying to find mine, then wondering if I'd forgotten it altogether...thankfully, Duffy had his out in moments, and could keep us under cover while I ransacked my pack...and finally found the durn thing in the outside pocket - where it would be quick to get to when it rained, of course!

We hiked on for a little longer, happy to have umbrellas, because it was hot and rain gear just makes me hotter. It quit raining just before we came into view of Hidden Pond.

When we got to camp, there was FloridaHanger, LifeScout, and C+1. ZukiGuy and LilRicky came in shortly, hauling firewood trees. Duffy found us a very nice campsite, with a beautiful view. There were a few sprinkles, but it didn't rain, even though we heard thunder. Everything seemed to be moving around us, which is a good thing. After we got the hammocks up, we took the opportunity to join the others in the pond. OH! So refreshing!

Supper was homemade spaghetti, my very first attempt at dehydrating our meal. It was super! The new food/coffee cups worked so well! We sat around the fire eating, and discussed food, hikes both past and future, hammocks, and and all sorts of things, waiting on FLRider to arrive, which he did around 9:30pm Spoke often about Olddog and Mike777 - they would have enjoyed it, I think. Shortly after that, I headed to our site to get some sleep.

I got chilly during the night, with no underquilt and only a coubled cotton bedsheet for cover, and ended up wrapping the sheet around me, then pulling my pillow-stuffing (a down vest) out to use as cover. It was great! Toward dawn my feet got cold, but other than that, I slept pretty well.

Duffy fixed us a delicious breakfast of instant oatmeal and coffee. Some tent campers came by and got a lesson in hammock-camping from the guys. Just before we left, FLRider brought out his surprise - freeze-pops! They weren't frozen, but they were still ice cold and delicious!

The hike back to the trail-head was uneventful but the last 45 minutes were hot, with scattered Florida sun beating down. Bleh. I got a picture of one of the guardians of the parking lot (aka giant, hand-sized spiders circling the perimeter), and we washed up, changed clothes, and had a cold Coke before getting on the road.

Most of the trip was SO pleasant, with lower-than-usual temperatures thanks to the cloud cover and the dip in the pond, plus no rain to speak of once we got to camp and none on the way out. However, there were about two hours - one going in, one coming out - that reminded me why I don't like to hike in Florida in the summer! I'd do it again, Rider, thenkyewveddymooch...but not more than once a year.
    Last edited by MightyMouse; 07-22-2013 at 16:01. Reason: clarity
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    What a time in the hot Florida sun,hehe
    Such weather to hang from in the Florida Summer of all times. (side hurting)

Thank you very much, FLRider, for setting us up for one of the best summer hangs I have been in.
    Wet entry, cool nights, beautiful days, hot exit. Great drive both ways. More to come with pics and hopefully video.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

No Underquilt, No Problem!

My story begins at about 5:00 on Saturday.

I thought that I had everything together for heading out the door...not so much. I didn't get out of work until 5:30 on Saturday, and I wound up spending about an hour showering, getting everything into the car, and triple-checking my stuff (more about that in a moment...).

On the way out, I wanted to pick up a pound of dry ice; I'd hoped that it would help extend the life of my frozen Camelbak bladder with the ice pops inside of it until Sunday at noonish. (It didn't, but it kept it nice and cold.) As it turned out, I'd forgotten both my visor and my watch (and my bandanna, but I didn't notice that until I was on the trail). So, a stop at WallyWorld and Target (how does Wal-Mart, of all places, not carry visors? Seriously...) took care of those needs, and I was on my way about an half-hour later than I'd intended.

I hit the Pat's Island trail head at about 8:30 and started southbound into spitting rain. After a couple of gear issues that required stopping and readjusting and a couple of palmetto roots that tried to break my ankle, I wound up hearing a "WOOO-BUDDY!" from up ahead around 9:20. Floridahanger and lilricky had gone out as a rescue party, on the off chance that I'd managed to go down on the trail somewhere. They shepherded me in the last tenth of a mile or so, and everyone was soon greeting me warmly.

Many thanks to LifeScout, Floridahanger, and Duffy for their help with my (over-provisioned) bear bag hang and holding lights to help me set up in the dark. Floridahanger kept the fire going all night while everyone gathered around and chatted into the dark hours of the evening.

Soon enough, I retired to my hammock for the rest of the night. Morning came early enough, and I found the majority of everyone else already up and moving. I made "coffee" while chatting a bit and watched Floridahanger bring the fire back to life.

Noon rolled around, and I pulled down my cold treats for everyone. Unfortunately, the ice pops weren't still frozen, but they were sure cold. They were roundly praised before folks started off for the outside world.

Duffy and MightyMouse took off first, headed on down the trail. Zukiguy, lilricky, LifeScout and C+One followed soon after. The forest felt much larger and emptier without everyone's voices filling the space.

I spent some time swimming in the pond to fill time and then retired to my hammock as the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in. That evening, I rose and made my dinner of Velveeta shells and cheese with hot sauce. Soon after, I went back to bed only to wake around twelve-thirty in the morning.

Something was whuffling around my camp, making very loud sniffing noises. I think it was a bear, but I could be wrong. Either way, I yelled at it and it bounded off--the footfalls sounded padded and much larger than an human's, which is what makes me think it was a bear.

Nothing else of note occurred until I woke the next morning. I hadn't been sure what to do with myself on Monday, since neither Tuck nor deiseldeathstar made it in. That morning, I decided to hike down to Juniper Springs and swim for a bit. I left around 9:30 and arrived at Juniper at about 11:00.

I called my wife from the pay phone there to let her know that my itinerary had changed (since I was now soloing) and then jumped in the springs. Man, did that water feel nice! I had about an hour of swimming and lazing by the springs before the thunderstorms rolled in.

I waited out the storms under the shelter there (seeing as how I didn't want to be hiking across the prairie in the middle of a thunderstorm--been there, done that, didn't enjoy it the first time) for about an hour while eating lunch, then I headed back across the prairie. I hoped to ride the coattails of the storm, keeping things from being too hot. I managed, though the humidity was a killer coming across the trail back towards Hidden Pond.

It started raining on me about halfway back, and I found some deficiencies with my rain gear--I'd not had a chance to really test it for more than a couple of miles (and that in not-very-close brush) before now. Nothing that's a deal-breaker, but some issues that I need to address on the Beta version of it.

By the time I reached camp, I was a little tired and very hungry. I immediately sat down and ate dinner (again with the Velveeta shells) and my afternoon snack for the day--a Payday bar (they don't melt). Soon after, I fell back into the hammock for the evening. I rose once, around eight-ish, to visit the bushes, and went back to sleep.

That night, I was visited by the same critter as the previous night--twice! Once around ten-ish, and once around one in the morning. Both times, it ran off when I yelled at it. I hope that it's not a bear that's been habituated from folks leaving food out there, but I fear that's what it is. Either way, it still has a fear of humans (or, at least, loud noises; I've got a pretty good yell on me when I need it), so there's still hope.

This morning, I rose around 7:30 and made "coffee" first thing. I drank a liter of water and refilled from the pond before going back to the hammock and packing up. I was on trail by 9:30, heading south at a leisurely pace. I wasn't supposed to meet Mrs. FLRider at the Yearling trail head until noon, so I figured I had time.

About an hundred yards up the trail from Hidden Pond, I saw my first bear print--it was fairly small, but distinct. By the time I'd covered another hundred yards, I'd seen at least a dozen more, mixed in with deer prints and raccoon prints. It seems the animals like the trail almost as much as I do!

Within a quarter-mile, the skies began to turn slate and thunder rumbled in the distance. I figured I was far enough away from the storm that I'd be okay--big mistake. It poured on me for about a mile of trail (though the lightning kept away, thank goodness!); it got to the point where I was laughing maniacally and giving out random "WOOO-BUDDY!"s just for the sheer excitement of being alive. I was literally walking through a stream running down the trail at some points; my feet couldn't've gotten any more wet than they were.

By the time I reached the turnoff for the Yearling Trail, the rain had slacked off to a sprinkle, and I'd come out from under my poncho. I left it in place over the pack, as the weather still seemed a bit chancy. As it turned out, I didn't need it the rest of the way to the trail head.

By the time I reached US-19, I was literally walking with a song on my lips and it was 11:30. Sure enough, the greatest wife in the world was already there! And with a spare set of clothes so that I didn't have to be soaked to the bone the whole way home!

It was a wonderful weekend with wonderful folks and much nicer weather than I had any hope to expect. Thank you all for coming on out! I hope to see everyone at the next hang.

The camera died on me this morning, so it's still charging. Pics and video either tonight or tomorrow...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Unbelievable that this story could be told in a way that would make me wish I had been there, but you did it. Glad the event was enjoyed by all attending.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images

hopefully pics...

Ok, ya'll, Blueskycat here for, Floridahanger. Getting his pics posted for him. Looks like you guys had another fun time. I don't mind the heat, I'm a Florida girl, through and through. . But, Floridahanger, said the weather was nice, proven to me by a pic of his thermometer, lol.
    So, here's hoping pics will show up under this post...

1)a friend in the parking lot, 2)Zukiguy leading the way(spiderweb in face), followed by Lilricky, 3)what looks to be a large furry friend, 4)closed in trail going down from the ridge, 5)Zukiguy posing under my tarp, 6)a headless Life Scout, 7)Zukiguy, C+1, Life Scout, 8)Zukiguy found the canister on the hike to Hidden Pond(almost full), 9)Zukiguys handmade saw, 10)Life Scout's gear hammock/hammock chair/lounger
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 07-24-2013 at 23:29.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images

more pics

Yay, I remembered how to do this forum's pics.
    Here are some more. I am sure, Floridahanger, will be around to explain what they all are.

Setups;
    1)Life Scout: DIY all- tarp, hammock, bugnet, 2)C+1: DIY all- tarp, hammock, bugnet, gear hammock, 3)C+1, Life Scout, 4)Zukiguy: MacCat Deluxe, poncho beak, Warbonett Ridge Runner, 5)Lilricky: UGQ Hanger 12, poncho beak, Warbonett Ridge Runner, 6)view overlooking Crooked Sapling Pond from Zukiguy's hammock, 7)looking at "their" setup from mine, 8)Floridahanger: DIY all- tarp 11x10 (seam on sides not the top), hammock, bugnet, 9)looking from mine to theirs, 10)Hidden Pond
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 07-25-2013 at 10:07.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images

and more pics

Looks like some nice set ups, but what do I know. I just like to lay in them, but not overnight. hehe.

1)Zukiguy's bed, 2)a sleeping Lilricky, 3)lounging Life Scout, 4)vittles, 5)more vittles, 6)Life Scout demonstrating his gear hammock/hammock chair/lounger, 7)a friend under the bark, 8)camp chores: Lilricky & Zukiguy collecting firewood, 9)camp chores: Floridahanger collecting firewood, 10)the troops: MightyMouse, Duffy, Lilricky, C+1, Zukiguy, Life Scout after a refreshing dip in Hidden Pond
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 07-24-2013 at 23:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast