Gathered Loop retention ideas

Greetings All!!!

I'm a hanging n00b, and have been studying suspension for a week or so. I feel like I want to use the following for suspension:

1" web looped on one end.
    8" amsteel continuous loop with cinch's spliced in, larks headed through my end channel.

NOW, HERE's MY QUESTION:

I would like to propose that I build a "double" amsteel continuous loop through the end channel. I'm concerned that the larks head will losen up and potentially get sucked into the end channel when wrapping the hammock for storage. I could possibly clip the two loops together and keep that from happening, OR, couldn't I just make a double loop splice in the end channel? I think limiting the spliced loop to 8" in diameter would keep the ends gathered, and would also keep from having a knot that's easily loosened when not under load. I realize that this is a semi-permanent solution (i.e. I'd basically have to cut the amsteel to get it out.). Just curious if this is a viable option?

Thanks!
    Andy

P.S. I have attached some pics to help illustrate what I'm suggesting. Pic 1 is just a continuous loop (from my headphone cable... sorry, it's all I had). Pic 2 is what I mean by "double continuous loop". In pic 3, imagine that my roll of paper towels is the end channel of my hammock. See how my double loop runs through the end channel?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DieselDork; 07-22-2013 at 12:33.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    If I am understanding you correctly your worried that the loop in the end of the hammock will loosen when your not in it. I don't think you will have that problem. Once loaded initially the line through the channel does not just spring open. It stays clamped down pretty tightly.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post
    I would like to propose that I build a "double" amsteel continuous loop through the end channel. I'm concerned that the larks head will losen up and potentially get sucked into the end channel when wrapping the hammock for storage. I could possibly clip the two loops together and keep that from happening
    No need in my opinion.

Once loaded, the larks head will cinch up quite substantially on the channel.

I have never seen or heard of one working itself loose (when changing out suspensions I usually have to pick at the hitch to get it loose).

Most/all cottage hammock manufacturers use a simple larks head to keep their suspensions on the ends of their hammocks.

EDIT: Paul beat me to it.

Great!! I was worried that once I break down and start to fold up and put in the bag, that the larks head will loosen since there will then be no load on it.... or perhaps when I'm unrolling and getting ready to attach to suspension that the loop would come undone.

That gives me comfort. I love love love the cinch buckle, chain link setup offered at arrowhead. I will likely go that way then.

• + New Posts