Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New River or Incubator

Getting ready to order a full length UQ. Narrowed it down to either the KAQ New River or the HG Incubator. Anyone used both and have any comments? Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Z06; 07-22-2013 at 17:13.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I don't have either, but I do have a Phoenix from HG and can tell you that both the customer service and the quality of product are top notch.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Incubator is awesome. I hv a zero and a 20deg very High-quality materials and well-made. They are extremely easy to use and fit perfectly On my Hennessey.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I have both. Love both for different reasons. The KAQ was less fussy to set up and go. Never had sliding off the foot or shoulder issues on my WBBB. The HG is a little warmer and much lighter and smaller. Makes it easier to pack in and out. Note the KAQ was rated to 32, I took it to 8, and the HG is rated for 0. Have had it in the teens.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WL OldMan Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas whoopies
    I have both a Phoenix and Incubator 20 from HG, LOVE them. Tricky using a full-length with a Hennessey, not so much w\ the Phoenix, but still doable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I have both. Love both for different reasons. The KAQ was less fussy to set up and go. Never had sliding off the foot or shoulder issues on my WBBB. The HG is a little warmer and much lighter and smaller. Makes it easier to pack in and out. Note the KAQ was rated to 32, I took it to 8, and the HG is rated for 0. Have had it in the teens.
    This is a good summation of the 2. Note that the HG is lighter and much less bulky. That is the main dif: bulk.

What temp incubator were you looking at? The 20F model weighs 25 oz(reg length), a New river weighs 30 oz for reg length. So not a huge dif in weight. (bulk is a different story)

Please note that the NR is only rated to 30, compared to 20 for the HG Inc. However, also note that Postal has used his at 8F, apparently warm enough while doing so. ( Postal, was that an Apex model?) I have long maintained that these AHE quilts are REALLY conservatively rated, based on my experience with Climashield, older and supposedly less warm versions (XP and Combat). For me, 6 oz old style CS is extremely warm when used as an UQ. I have taken only 2.5 oz/sq.yd weight CS XP - in a dif cut WB Yeti - into the mid 40s and been just fine, wearing just jeans and tee shirt, and a light weight fleece hat. That is why just a 30F rating for 6 oz seems so conservative for me. Maybe Paul rates for the super cold sleepers? Which is a good thing.

Also, I'm guessing AHE's temp rating is based on a 6 oz/sq.yd layer of standard Climashield XP or Combat? Because they have available a custom order with Apex CS, which AHE says adds 5-10 warmth and packs 15-20% smaller than regular CS. If so, that would help a lot with the bulk issue.

But I'd say the biggest dif is going to be bulk. How big is your pack? Oh, also there will be a cost advantage to the NR, CS is not as expensive as down and baffles.

EDIT: I just realized I somewhat mis-spoke in saying the biggest dif is going to be bulk, although that is partly correct. The reason that is a major big dif is because the real major dif is synthetic vs down. These are radically different beasts because of that one factor, which accounts for all the of the differences.

So on one hand you have a big pro for the down in way less bulk, and somewhat less weight.

But the advantage goes to the synthetic CS first with a lower price if that is very important to you, and then in the whole handling of wet for any reason deal: sweat, condensation, fog, rain ( blowing sideways with small tarp or a rip in the tarp), etc etc. I'm sure you don't want to get that whole never ending debate started here, but if you want to read up on it just search for synthetic ( alone or vs down), or go to current thread "synthetic Love" by OldGringo. Also keep in mind that some of the down UQs are not ( EDIT: I meant NOW, not NOT!) available in highly water resistant down for maybe $10 more, which may decrease or even negate CS advantage in this area. I guess the Jury is still out. If it does live up to advertising, then cost and lack of allergy for some folks would be the only remaining advantages for synthetic. Bulk will always be the biggest disadvantage.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-23-2013 at 20:19.

A little more info from me may be in order. Have a NX-250. New to hanging.
    Will not be using this hiking. Three week motorcycle trip this fall to Northeast into Canada. Pulling small cargo trailer. Plan to mainly camp in large tent with cot etc. Also have small tent for quick overnight stays. Going to try the hammock to possibly replace small tent. Have built light weight aluminum colapseable stand if no trees available. Anyway this three week trip is in preparation for six months on the motorcycle starting next spring.
    Size and weight of the UQ is not a factor. Ordered one of the two last night, but may order the other and see which I like better and sell the other. Seems from all I am reading that either one would be good.
    Which one for a six month trip?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06 View Post
    Will not be using this hiking. Three week motorcycle trip this fall to Northeast into Canada. Pulling small cargo trailer.
    I have both; AHE New River 0 d and Incubator 20 d. When space and weight are not an issue (traveling in the cage) the NR is generally the choice. It is a 0 d upgrade and I like to find cooler spots. Plus I like the way it fits the WBBB and ease of set up. Moto travel it will always be the Incubator for smaller compression...well and I have a thing for quality down insulation over synthetic. If I had a custom wide 0 d incubator it would replace the NR though.

Are you planning a shakedown trip with your full set up load before your trek?

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    I have both; AHE New River 0 d and Incubator 20 d. When space and weight are not an issue (traveling in the cage) the NR is generally the choice. It is a 0 d upgrade and I like to find cooler spots. Plus I like the way it fits the WBBB and ease of set up. Moto travel it will always be the Incubator for smaller compression...well and I have a thing for quality down insulation over synthetic. If I had a custom wide 0 d incubator it would replace the NR though.

Are you planning a shakedown trip with your full set up load before your trek?
    The shakedown trip will be the three weeks this fall with maybe a night or two with the hammock before then. Even without the trailer I have huge Pelican cases so room not an issue.
    Is the NR wider than the HG? And is the NR always easier to setup?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    In all fairness the 0 degree winter New River Law Dawg has used 11 ounce climashield versus the regular 6 ounce that the 3 season uses. The 0 degree version is about twice the packed volume of the regular 3 season quilts.

Just so apples are apples
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast