Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Baskeball seems really big, is that normal for 2.5 apex?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    would also like to add. As am interested also compressible 2.5 and 5.0 apex are with pictures would be awesome

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I like primaloft-one from seattle fabrics. I find it way more compressable than the climashield that most use. It comes with some batting material on it that helps support the material. You do have to sew quilting loops, but thats easy to do. I made an underquilt from it and at childs top quilt. I was concerned that the primaloft would tear while stuffing into the stuffsack, but so far both have held up very well.
    Ed

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0 Degree
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    I used to be a ground dweller, so I had an ALPS Mountaineering 20 Degree Desert Pine - Wide bag. It kept me very warm, and did the trick...on the ground.

Once I moved to the hammock, I used it as a TQ. I read on the forums about zippers possibly snagging and causing a tear in my WBBB, and I didn't want that.

I decided to deconstruct my bag, and go from there. I ripped out the zipper, took off the draft collar and hood and checked it out. I was able to cut fabric and material off, and once completed, I had my version of a Franken-quilt.

It's not pretty, and if I had to do it all over, I would have just cut off stuff, instead of seam ripping it all, and then reconstructing it. But, on the plus side, now I know how that brand of bags are constructed, and that will help when my ASM asks me to make a TQ out of his.

This was my first sewing project in probably 30 years, and I would say that it won't win any beauty contests, but it's kept me warm, and shaved 22 oz off my pack (not a gram-weenie, but anything to lighten that load for these old bones).

Oh, the cost of those bags are cheaper than anyone out there, especially if you are a Scouter...maybe $55, and I have put a lot of nights into that bag, and now, a couple more as a TQ.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We don't use the 2.5 APEX. That thin on it's own is pretty much what you would want in a jacket grade of insulation and would never get you down to 40 without supplementing with some major clothing layers. We use 4oz APEX for 40 degree quilts. It's still much lighter than the 6oz APEX that we would rate to 20-25F. Keep in mind I was referring to a full length TQ...an UQ would be much smaller depending on design. Pack size would depend on just how much you wanted to squish it down. The more you squish the more you lessen the life.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    As far as backpacking is concerned for say 5.0 apex what kinda of packed size. Like nalgene size or bigger lik 2liter.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Highly compressible synthetic? TQ?

I made a UQ out if 6 oz apex full length. It compresses to about the length of a 2 liter bottle but about half again larger in diameter. I have had it down to high 20s and have been toasty warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12