Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ENO Ember Underquilt with a Hennessy?

I own a Hennessy Expedition zip model. I have an opportunity to get an ENO Ember UQ at a good price. Will it work well with my Hennessy?

That uq sucks

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    That uq sucks
    Mind sharing details of the suckage situations. What about it sucked? Was it a poor fit to the hammock? Shoddy materials and construction? We come to read and learn, that UQ sucks doesn't teach us much.

Re: ENO Ember Underquilt with a Hennessy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Mind sharing details of the suckage situations. What about it sucked? Was it a poor fit to the hammock? Shoddy materials and construction? We come to read and learn, that UQ sucks doesn't teach us much.
    It's heavy, the fit is terrible, etc. Do a quick Google search on the reviews for it. I checked it out in rei as well and it sucks every bit as much as the reviews said it would.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Best UQ for a Hennessey is the Potomac from AHE:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    You can also find a few reviews on the ember here on the forums. I can't remember seeing one that was particularly positive. If I remember right from most of the reviews the biggest complaint was that it wasn't nearly warm enough, as in it didnt even reach its rating.

You said you can get it for a good price, do you mind me asking how much?

Often, you will find that the cottage vendors will offer superior products (better quality, materials, weight, and temp ratings) for the same price or lower than what the big guys offer.

The ENO blaze uq (their recent down uq) is a perfect example of this. List price is at $300 it weighs 24oz and has a temp rating of 35-45*. Or you could get a full length uq from a cottage vendor (for a fair comparison) like HG for around $240 you get a uq that weighs the same 24oz (less if you pay $10 and upgrade to argon fabric) but has a temp rating of 20*. Or, if a 40* quilt is all you need, you can pay $210 and get a full length that comes in at 19.5 oz (less with Argon fabric).

Also, just about all of the cottage vendors here are known for having amazing customer service and they stand by their products. This isn't to say that eno doesn't have good customer service, but I know the cottage guys go above and beyond.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Here is one of the threads I remember reading: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=Ember

The last post has a field test of it, he says he was warm but he was also using a ccf pad, when he took the pad out he got cold...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    OK need advice. Between the Ember and force-fitting a Jarbridge from Arrowhead (which I hear does not work very well), which is better? I just cannot financially justify spending $200+ on an underquilt right now, but definitely need one for a hang in the Laurel Highlands in October. I'm using a Hennessy Expedition Zip rig. Help!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/outlan

I've spent 3 nights with the ember 2.

It is fairly thin seems to work okayish down to the low 50s. One night it went to 44 and the cold woke me up. That was with a zero degree big agnes sleeping bag (thats one of the bags with no insulation at all on the bottom, just a pad sleeve which i did not use a pad in). The cold soaking through the bottom was very noticeable.

One of the major problems is that the quilt only adjusts along its length and it sags away from your lower half if you are lying on the diagonal, it doesn't matter how tight you make it.

I too wanted something short notice and cheap, but this one wasn't the answer. At least it is getting me outdoors for july/august, but I would call this a 1/2 season quilt. I ended up biting the bullet and ordering from one of the cottage vendors here.

Good luck with your search

Edited to add: i should point out that the ember being discussed here is slightly different from the ember 2 that was released this year. Neither version is partlcularly impressive though.
    Last edited by Hogwash; 07-31-2015 at 10:26.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Go back to the Hennessy website and look at the SuperShelter. It's $139.95, and can carry you down to freezing (some have gone below). I have had one for several years, and you'll see a number of users here who have it and are very happy with it. Search the forums for "supershelter" and you'll find some lively discussions about it.

While an underquilt is a very good solution (I have an UQ as well for the gathered end hammock that I LOVE), it can be expensive and there are limited options if you're using the Hennessy Hammock as designed. Tom Hennessy designed the SuperShelter specifically to work with his system, and I think he did pretty well. Obviously, YMMV, but if you're looking into the <$200 space, then this is worth at least investigating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast