Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I went to make a reply to that thread but the owner of the web site does not allow other web site URL's to be posted in the threads. He even block out the words "Hammock Forums" so that it could not be posted in a post.

Is this just me. I can not even go into my USERCP to edit any of my info.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    It's not just you. It's a pretty overmoderated site The owner does like to edit posts big time.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

It is agreed that site is lame

I do like some of the podcast but the forums are lame. I keep forgetting my username and password for the site. I typically use two or three usernames and the same number of passwords. Most times I have them remembered so I dont have to input them everytime. Heaven forbid I get to a new PC that I have to actually type the information in. I better remember in 5 attempts or the username/password police are shutting me down! Then I have to wait 15 min and do it all again.

One of the administrators is a member here. I asked if he knew what was up with that site and he did not respond. Whatever. I have read some things on there that were pretty good but I think Reality must have issues or something.

I almost never visit that site now.

Thanks for posting the text of the review!

Adam

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Agreed. the whole practical backpacking forum is weak sauce. Requiring registration to even read threads is lame already, and then all the heavy handed editing and moderation I'm hearing about...

When I registered, there's a "how did you hear about us" box that you MUST fill in. I filled in that I found it through a link on hammockforums.net, and it was censored in the referral box that no one but administrators will see.

I'm sorry, but anyone who runs a site that locked down, and who is that paranoid about mentioning others' websites, is a TOOL. I would delete my account if there was a way to do so.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I got a reply back from the admin. Overall his tone is rather condescending and since elitist condescending bullsh@t bothers me to no end, I doubt I'll ever go back.

Just when I was thinking backpackers aren't as crazy as people think they are, you run into one that makes you wonder.... Definite issues, there. I like forums where you don't have to color inside their lines and people can be themselves. I think hammockforums.net proves that you can have a forum where anyone can post and 99% of the posters are respectful and play well with others to the point that Big Brother type crackdowns aren't really necessary.

I wonder how much spam the gmail/yahoo users cause for hammockforums? That's the excuse he's using.

I like that there's a good review of the Blackbird out in the wild - maybe we need to post on forums more accessible and less cult-like.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thank you all for letting me know. I had some dealings with the person years ago and I wanted to make sure that was not the reason why I had problems. It a relief in a sense that I know I am not the only one.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I was set up as a 'moderator' on a couple of the PBF sub-forums but outside of the couple to very few posts i ever had to edit, there isnt much of a duty required on my behalf. Im not an 'administrator' there and i have no idea why yahoo accounts dont work. I have no way of retrieving lost/forgotten passwords, either. There is some info about hammocking and ive tried adding what i can where applicable - But who cares? All of the info I need about Hammocks is found right here! Id rather share my info with an audience who wants to start hanging than with one who really isnt considering the idea in the first place.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The forums can be set up so yahoo accounts don't work. That is probably a good tactic to keep out spammers. I can understand where he is coming from.

yeah that site is far too restrictive defeats the point having a public forum.Its podcasts are entertaining and educational on the whole.The Jacks one is good. Pity the web site does not loosen up.Makes you realise how well balanced it is here on HF

Thankyou for repeating that Blackbird review bonk

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    I couldn't get on either. My ISP is Yahoo also. This makes me appreciate this forum even more! Regardless, I love my BB, and Brandon deserves all the advertising he can get. Word of mouth is the best!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast