Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL - Tadpole
    Suspension
    Python Straps

More Goose .. How Much?

Just looking around and was curious ...

For instance the Incubator 20 goes down to 20F ... How low can you go with more stuffing?

How many degrees does each OZ add?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Check around on this subject - it comes down to more than just the amount of 'stuffing' that you put in it.

For example, if you stuff 15oz of down into an Incubator 40 degree and then stuff 13oz into an Incubator 0 degree, the 0 degree will be warmer.

Why? Because the depth of the baffles is much deeper. You'll get 4" to 5" of loft vs. 2" of loft (but packed very tight - which compresses the feathers).

Overstuffing has a scale of diminishing returns. Kind of like my stomach. LOL

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL - Tadpole
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Check around on this subject - it comes down to more than just the amount of 'stuffing' that you put in it.

For example, if you stuff 15oz of down into an Incubator 40 degree and then stuff 13oz into an Incubator 0 degree, the 0 degree will be warmer.

Why? Because the depth of the baffles is much deeper. You'll get 4" to 5" of loft vs. 2" of loft (but packed very tight - which compresses the feathers).

Overstuffing has a scale of diminishing returns. Kind of like my stomach. LOL
    Ooh ok that makes sense ...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Just got a 20 d Burrow for the bride of my youth (replaced the stock one our son allowed to kiss a campfire ). Ordered with Argon fabric inside, extra wide, and 2 oz more stuffing. Compared with my extra wide/long 20 d it seems to loft better but I can see where much more than that could make for diminishing returns. I'd think that a 20 d with 2 extra oz coupled with a 0 degree Incubator just might be the perfect set up and, adding a WBBB XLC, is now my...drool...wish I had set up.

Hers will be part of her WBRR with 0 d full length Lynx. We will be high country cage camping on the 30th so, depending on the weather (normally almost freezing at night) I should be able to report back with a subjective idea of how it worked.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC 1.7dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG All Around
    Suspension
    Straps and DUTCH
    That's almost exactly what I'm running. XLC, 20* Burrow with 1 oz extra and 20* Incubator with 3oz extra. I've not taken it COLD yet, but the last outing got into the high 40's and I was cozy in a thin pair of shorts and a light tee shirt. I'll be pushing it this winter...probably to the 0* to 10* range.
    With 3 oz extra, the UQ seems just right. It's still very pliable, with a bunch of loft. I think it was the right number for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I've not taken it COLD yet, but the last outing got into the high 40's and I was cozy in a thin pair of shorts and a light tee shirt.
    What is the highest temp you have used it in...would you use it up to, say, 70 degrees?

I wonder because with moto camping the night temps can vary widely (the next camp might be 400 miles away) and space will not allow for more than one set up. Thinking real hard about buying a 0 d Incubator (the XLC will take some extra creative begging).

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    That Argon fabric is some nice stuff. Super light weight and has an almost silky feel to it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The bride and I returned this afternoon from about 7500 ft in the Sequoias (Kern Plateau area). I guesstimate the temps to have hit in the mid 30s last night. She gives the HG Burrow (wide with 2 extra oz of down) a rating. Said she was completely warm with her WBRR plus full length 0 degree rated Lynx UQ and the whole rig for the first time. All components got good reviews but the Burrow was her star. Looks like we finally have a hammock set up that works for her...I'm a happy man today.

• + New Posts