3/4 UQ with footpad or Full length

My wife has now tried our DIY gathered end hammock. She is a side sleeper and when transitioning from one side to the other, she switched the direction of her diagonal lay. Saying this another way, if she started with her head on the right and her feet on the left, when she switched to her other side, she would move her head to the left and her feet to the right. She said it was uncomfortable to keep in the same diagonal position. OK. Now, my confusion. If I buy a 3/4 length UQ and she uses her sit pad for her feet, would she have to shift the pad to the left and right on the hammock? Can you tell we're really new to this?? Is there a discussion on the use of a 3/4 length UQ and a footpad? I couldn't find one. FYI - our range of sleeping temps is from 30 to 50 with an occasional teen thrown in. So maybe a full length will answer all the problems and we'll just have to carry the extra weight?

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    The difference between a full length and 3/4 length UQ is about 5 ounces. How much does your foot pad weigh?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I toss & turn a lot and couldn't get past the aggravation using the foot pad caused. It moves when I do.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    If she moves side to side like that I would have to suggest a full length UQ. It would drive me crazy to have the pad flopping around all night trying to keep it under my feet. That's just me though. Full lengths may need a slight pull here or tug there to keep it where you need it but will not move around like a pad. I would suggest a 20 degree because it will be right on for the lows and you can vent it if it gets upwards of 50 or even 60 degrees. Venting is basically hanging it a little looser to allow some air in but you can control how much with UQ suspension. Hope this helps I have only used homemade DIY quilts or HammockGear UQ's both Phoenix and Incubator and they are awesome, but that's my opinion among many, no wrong answers just whatever suits you or in this case your wife
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs
    While I don't change my asym lay I too alligator wrestle in my sleep and the foot pad thing just doesn't work for me. Wish I would have figured that out before buying my Greylock 3. Full length UQ makes a big difference.
    Life is short and then it's forever..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I like the foot pad. I put it into the footbox of my top quilt and don't have any trouble with it and I am an active sleeper. You could always add a small bit of omnitape to the pad and inside the top quilt to hold it in place but like I said, works well for me as an active sleeper.
    Brady

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I like the foot pad. I put it into the footbox of my top quilt and don't have any trouble with it and I am an active sleeper. You could always add a small bit of omnitape to the pad and inside the top quilt to hold it in place but like I said, works well for me as an active sleeper.
    I was going to suggest this too. Put the pad in your quilt's footbox, and it will move with you.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

• + New Posts