Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

IX or Climashield Apex 2.5 for second layer of UQ

I am making a new UQ from 5oz Apex but want to add a little extra warmth. I have the 5oz Apex and some IX. I ordered some 2.5oz Apex, but wanted some opinions on which to use, the IX or the 2.5 Apex? I don't think the IX will compress as good, but that might not be a big deal if the IX gives me more warmth to weight ratio. Looking for somewhere close to 20 degrees or so. I have a KAQ that gets me to high 20's, and it is 6oz Apex. Making something a little wider and shorter, and want a little more warmth. Any help will be much appreciated.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Go with the 2.5. Much warmer, way more compressible and less chance of moisture retention in the quilt.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Re: IX or Climashield Apex 2.5 for second layer of UQ

Thanks Paul, love my KAQ, but planning a trip in November to the Pisgah National Forest and I am a little worried I might see colder temps than I am used too.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    I am making a new UQ from 5oz Apex but want to add a little extra warmth. I have the 5oz Apex and some IX. I ordered some 2.5oz Apex, but wanted some opinions on which to use, the IX or the 2.5 Apex? I don't think the IX will compress as good, but that might not be a big deal if the IX gives me more warmth to weight ratio. Looking for somewhere close to 20 degrees or so. I have a KAQ that gets me to high 20's, and it is 6oz Apex. Making something a little wider and shorter, and want a little more warmth. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Go with the 2.5. Much warmer, way more compressible and less chance of moisture retention in the quilt.
    One more layer of 2.5 should add considerable warmth.

You say that the 6 oz Apex "gets me to high 20's ". Is that about where you are starting to get cold? Or were you plenty warm, but that is just the coldest temp you have encountered?

Let's say worst case and you are just starting to get cold at 28F. So using 70F as the level where you need nothing ( some people that is as high as 75), then 70-28= 42*F worth of protection. Or for 6 oz of CS, you are averaging 7F worth of protection per oz. So if that rate continues, you might get 7 per oz X 2.5 oz= 17.5*F additional protection.

That is probably about right, or even a little more. If you got 17.5 * of protection from that 2.5 oz, then used by itself you should be OK to ~52F. I have used 2.5 oz to get me a little below 50F and was warm, so again that should be about right.

If so, and you are now OK at 28F and add 17F more, then 28-17.5= 10.5. So it should get you to 20 or a bit lower with ease.

All of the above assumes that everything is perfect with your UQ. No leaks/drafts and your insulation is not compressed too much when you snug it up against you. That is where a differential cut comes in real handy. The quilt that took me below 50 with one 2.5 oz layer is in fact a dif cut UQ, and the more snug I have it the better it works. Oh, and draft tubes and/or draw strings on the ends.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-23-2013 at 22:51.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Re: IX or Climashield Apex 2.5 for second layer of UQ

28 is the lowest I have had the 6oz apex quilt, and I had a little chill....but can't gaurentee setup was perfect. I wanted a slightly wider quilt, and my KAQ is actually a long version, so 84", and is really longer than I need, so I am going 50"x 65" instead of 48"×84". Even with the extra insulation, I am hoping to get more warmth and maybe a little less weight. Although my math tells me the weight may be close to the same....if my math is correct.

• + New Posts