Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Smile Greetings from Northern Virginia

I thought I did this long long ago. So I will do it now, since I am still new - and learning.

I first got my taste of the wild around age 9 or 10. My father and his friends would take 30 mile canoe trips and camp overnight. It was a sons and dads kinda of thing. LOVED it. I got older, and let into the outdoors and more into computers.

When I hit my senior year in high school, I got into photography which got me back out into landscape photos and road trips. I soon got into mountain biking but being out of shape, the trails killed me and I lost interest. Now older and wiser...I have turned my love for nature and being eco friendly, and less selfish into turning my niece and nephew onto the outdoors and started with geocacheing.

They are older, and out of high school now and of course are on their own...so I over the last few years have gotten into tiny houses, and alternative resource building..which has led me to wanting to get back to the trees, creeks, and nature.

My years of work kept me in computers, and after 18 years of that I have been out of work for 2 years (besides trying to get my own IT business off the ground) and wanting to get gear and get out of the house and from behind the desk.

I found this group, full of intelligent and helpful people, and go from die hard activity to none, and back again after a break.

I live in Northern Virginia (I know there are some members from around the way here as well). Really trying to find some close by hangers to show me their gear so I can get a good idea what to look for. I have spent a lot of time on YT learning the ways as well. Thanks to Shug for some of his great videos and humor to make it entertaining as well

I look forward to getting my setup, and meeting some of you guys out there at the hangs. Take care!

Scott/sdveirs
    (will probably change this when I come up with a better nickname)
    Scott
    Herndon, VA
    (Looking for others to see how their setup works locally)

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Scott welcome and you should check out the MAHHA hang. I believe you have already posted on the thread a great way to learn and make wise decisions.
    talk to you later
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Howdy Scott!
    I am from Sterling just around the corner from you. I have a HH and ENO Dbl which you are welcome to come check out.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sdveirs View Post

When I hit my senior year in high school, I got into photography which got me back out into landscape photos and road trips. I soon got into mountain biking but being out of shape, the trails killed me and I lost interest. Now older and wiser...I have turned my love for nature and being eco friendly, and less selfish into turning my niece and nephew onto the outdoors and started with geocacheing.

They are older, and out of high school now and of course are on their own...so I over the last few years have gotten into tiny houses, and alternative resource building..which has led me to wanting to get back to the trees, creeks, and nature.

My years of work kept me in computers, and after 18 years of that I have been out of work for 2 years (besides trying to get my own IT business off the ground) and wanting to get gear and get out of the house and from behind the desk.
    Scott, I don't know how else to say this, but you've just written out my life story (with a few very minor changes). Right from love of photography to a career in IT (going on 13 years here) and a "falling out" with nature until recent years.

I have a niece and nephew that I take on day hikes (who are still young enough to enjoy a walk with their uncle luckily). Uncanny similarities.

I've been driven by the same need to be away from the desk and out in the wilderness so to this I can relate, and I salute your efforts.

Welcome from Ontario, and don't hesitate to ask questions. You'll find everyone around here to be very willing to share experience (and opinions ).
    Coffee?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    Scott welcome and you should check out the MAHHA hang. I believe you have already posted on the thread a great way to learn and make wise decisions.
    talk to you later
    Thanks SP, I did check this out yesterday, I also am on the Northern Virginia Hangs Facebook page which just mentioned it last night. I really want to get to this, with or without gear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Howdy Scott!
    I am from Sterling just around the corner from you. I have a HH and ENO Dbl which you are welcome to come check out.
    Oh nice DK - sounds good to me. I am in Herndon (not the town of) more like Oakton/Reston. I'll PM ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Scott, I don't know how else to say this, but you've just written out my life story (with a few very minor changes). Right from love of photography to a career in IT (going on 13 years here) and a "falling out" with nature until recent years.

I have a niece and nephew that I take on day hikes (who are still young enough to enjoy a walk with their uncle luckily). Uncanny similarities.

I've been driven by the same need to be away from the desk and out in the wilderness so to this I can relate, and I salute your efforts.

Welcome from Ontario, and don't hesitate to ask questions. You'll find everyone around here to be very willing to share experience (and opinions ).
    Creeeeepeee Fish...lol Thanks for the welcoming. I think many people are making out of the ordinary changes over the last few years with the economy, and all the things going on.
    Scott
    Herndon, VA
    (Looking for others to see how their setup works locally)

• + New Posts