Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Continuous Ridgeline or not

I decided it was time to graduate from just tying zingit around the trees and to get some dutch ware and make my life easier. I setup my WBBB and WBRR and am experimenting to see what is easiest for me.I am using the cloudburst and edge tarps. Although the cont ridgeline sounds good it does not seem any easier than using two seperate lines with prusiks,dutch hooks and stingerze. A cont RL just seems like a waste of Zing it.Any opinions?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I started with a continuous and then moved to separate. I think I prefer the separate. I bought Dutch's tarp flyz with the zing it attached. I think I have found my suspension. It is lighter than a continuous and easier to pack up.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The single ridge line will be more stable in higher winds and or snow load on the tarp. If you run it under then you can also clip stuff to it like a mini lantern or hang up your socks to dry overnight.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    CRL is an easy way to carry extra cordage and make it do double duty?
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    As they say, HYOH. As far as I am concerned nothing beats a continuous ridge line left on the tarp attached with a couple of prussics. Hook one end to the tree, run the other around back to where I position the fly and tie in. Takes as long to type as it does to do it. Position the prussics as I put in the stakes usually after I hang the hammock unless it is raining. I'm not even sure there is much of a weight saving as one needs to leave more line at each end for fiddle factor.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    Try it!

In all likelihood if you have the stuff to do one setup, you can re-rig it to do all of them.
    Continuous or not, above or below the tarp.

Personally I don't want the tightness of the ridge line have any impact on the tarp itself by pulling on it. It sounds fiddly to me, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've done both ways. I recently went back to continuous over the top. It is a bit quicker for me anyway than separate lines because the first end out of the stuff sack just gets clipped off. No Dutch Flyz or knots to tie on that end. Then I use a Dutch Fly on the other end to tighten up the line. Prussics are very quick and easy to center the tarp on an over the top continuous ridge line vs. having to adjust a Dutch Fly or knot on one end, then do the same on the other end. If you want it perfect you often times have to loosen one end. Go back to the other end tighten that end some, go back to the other end tighten that end...check it...and sometimes repeat. Kinda of a pain.

I am experimenting with Loop Alien hardware in place of the prussic. So far I'm not convinced it's better than a prussic to be honest. It's tougher to adjust the loop alien connection when the line is under tension. You have to loosen your line which kind of defeats the purpose of simplicity. Your pretty much back to the same amount of time as using two lines. The only advantage the loop alien has over a prussic is that it's a more secure connection having less chance of slippage. You need at least 5 wraps on your prussics if using Zingit line or the prussic will slip.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images

Re: Continuous Ridgeline or not

I like a continous ridgeline. In spring, summer and fall it goes over the top so rain does not find its way in. During the winter months when snow arrives the ridgeline goes under to carry more of the load. It's just simpler to keep the same pieces all four seasons rather than swapping them out. Were I in a warmer climate I would consider "or not" to save on weight.

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    Curious here too. Does all that rubbing of the continuous ridgeline, when under the ridge, wear the tarp down in any way?

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I keep switching between continuous and two separate lines, they both have their good and bad. Right now i'm rocking the continuous ridge line.
    Last edited by krshome; 07-24-2013 at 18:40.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast