Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping pad

Sleeping pad

Edit, i should have started this with first time hammock user.

I have a REI inflatable sleeping pad. Want to test it out in my custom hammock, anyone have luck using these kinds of pads? I have added extra wings for the shoulders and my hips/knees. I have also never camped in a hammock. does the pad really move around that much? few things i have read is not to have it completely inflated.
    \

Also brand new around here as my name states im mike, and i live in the Portland Oregon are.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Welcome to HF!

Pad should work just fine until you're ready to make the leap to Under Quilts. Some people have more problems with them than others. Sounds like you're ahead of the curve with the wing mods. You may want to under inflate the pad so it conforms a little better to the shape needed. That's probably the biggest tip I've heard so far.

Good Luck!

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    I use an air pad and the key is to not inflate it all the way. Mine also has a little grip on the bottom of the pad to help prevent movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Welcome to HF!

Pad should work just fine until you're ready to make the leap to Under Quilts. Some people have more problems with them than others. Sounds like you're ahead of the curve with the wing mods. You may want to under inflate the pad so it conforms a little better to the shape needed. That's probably the biggest tip I've heard so far.

Good Luck!

Rolloff
    One of my strengths is i always research the hell out of something, also my biggest weakness and then i over think everything and never make decisions. I'm trying to be as light as possible and cheap as possible i don't want to spend all kinds of money and then realized i don't like sleeping in a hammock and i would rather have my tent back. so Underquilt is kinda out atm. and they are heavier then my pad.

I tried the pad, the ultra-light inflatable from REI, and even the wally world blue foam. they both tended to slip out from under me while I slept so I went with an UQ.

DIY from Insultex (sp) and I got the instructions from here somewhere.... sorry it was a year or two ago so I cant remember the link.

i have used both but opt for the UQ instead of a pad.

Quote Originally Posted by GaHammockGuy View Post
    I tried the pad, the ultra-light inflatable from REI, and even the wally world blue foam. they both tended to slip out from under me while I slept so I went with an UQ.

DIY from Insultex (sp) and I got the instructions from here somewhere.... sorry it was a year or two ago so I cant remember the link.

i have used both but opt for the UQ instead of a pad.
    Yeah i have ordered my material form that website. the cost is what stops me, how much would it weight? and how far does it compress?
    Last edited by pdxmike; 07-25-2013 at 17:11.

Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmike View Post
    One of my strengths is i always research the hell out of something, also my biggest weakness and then i over think everything and never make decisions. I'm trying to be as light as possible and cheap as possible i don't want to spend all kinds of money and then realized i don't like sleeping in a hammock and i would rather have my tent back. so Underquilt is kinda out atm. and they are heavier then my pad.
    I was a cyclist before I got into hammocking. I met people who reasoned, I will buy a cheap bike to see if I like cycling. Many did not like cycling because they were riding cheap bikes. Check your gear out in the backyard. Get help from experienced hammockers.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmike View Post
    Yeah i have ordered my material form that website. the cost is what stops me, how much would it weight? and how far does it compress?
    it is very very light, but it does not compress much if at all. but I usually just stuff it down into the cracks and open areas of my pack filling in all the open areas around other gear. follow the instructions.... one layer of ripstop - three layers of insultex -- then another layer of ripstop.

it will be light, and it kept me warm, but I am hot natured anyway, but I slept quite warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cermichael View Post
    I was a cyclist before I got into hammocking. I met people who reasoned, I will buy a cheap bike to see if I like cycling. Many did not like cycling because they were riding cheap bikes. Check your gear out in the backyard. Get help from experienced hammockers.
    That's a fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaHammockGuy View Post
    it is very very light, but it does not compress much if at all. but I usually just stuff it down into the cracks and open areas of my pack filling in all the open areas around other gear. follow the instructions.... one layer of ripstop - three layers of insultex -- then another layer of ripstop.

it will be light, and it kept me warm, but I am hot natured anyway, but I slept quite warm.
    Same way I always sleep warm. Last week was camping got around 45 with the wind, and slept in just my silk sleeping bag liner.

how does it react though? is it like a closed cell pad? or like a yoga mat?
    I guess what i'm trying to ask is how does it stuff into your bag?
    Last edited by pdxmike; 07-25-2013 at 21:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast