GT Ultralight/DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon tarp
    Insulation
    JCP Puffer UQ
    Suspension
    straps and static

Wink Success!!!

Seems as though all of my hard work as of late, has paid-off. Well not monitarily (sigh...) but, mostly in satisfaction and a little boost in the ol' pride department to boot!

Took my new Grand Trunk UL, tree straps, some static line, few carabiners, my DIY double layer hammock, and a healthy helping of apprehension (that I might end up on the ground at some point or another) out to attempt a little test-hang at Taneytown Park.

Note: I did end up on the ground once, however, it was only due to my lack of properly tying a knot... *ouch*

Set up the GT Ul, and as I suspected, it held just fine. I'm not over the 250lb mark so I assumed that it would have no trouble holding my weight (200-210). I can now understand how some say the hammock doesn't seem wide enough, like there could be a bit more but, I guess thats why the price is where it is. Short of that, I still feel like I got a great deal on the hammock. Thanks GT!

After that, I hung my DIY double-layer hammock... Using the same straps, only with a couple 'biners and static line @ either end instead of the GT "s" hooks. I was elated that it held together and more than anything, that just held period!!! Still have some learning to do with the knots and what's going to work the best for hanging it. I'm not really worried about the weight at this point but, i'm sure after I get more comfortable and learn more about this hangin' thing that i'll work on streamlining the process... I did notice that i'm going to have to re-wrap the gathered ends, just a little tighter in the center than I think it should be. All in all, a success imo!

As for what's next, I have a couple projects (diy silnylon tarp and JCP puffer underquilt) to finish-up and test-out before the Fall MAHHA hang. Gonna try to get some overnights in before that to ensure I enjoy the MAHHA hang. Certainly looking forward to it and meeting some of the folks from the forums!

Here's a little video of my diy DL test... Sorry 'bout the shakey camera, i'll use a tripod or something a little less jiggly in future videos...

http://youtu.be/icgfENcmjy4

On a side-note:
    I would like to put a shout out (woo-buddy!) to Shug for his great and entertaining videos, mostly for infecting me with the hangin' bug, and for the excellent trip reports (the unicycling vids look fun but, i'm glad you're doin' it cause i'd probably never walk again if I attempted any of that craziness!), as well as all the great help and advice i've gotten thus far from all of you here in the forums...

Tanks!
    Last edited by Vincebus; 07-25-2013 at 06:24.
    It's not the glide in the ride, it's the swing in the sling...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Congrats on the test hand and condolences on what will soon be your new addiction. Another quick and cheap diy project to tackle is making some whoopies and ditching the GT s-hooks. You'll be happy you did.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon tarp
    Insulation
    JCP Puffer UQ
    Suspension
    straps and static
    I'm sure I will sooner or later... Gonna use em a bit so I don't feel so much like it was a total waste of money.
    It's not the glide in the ride, it's the swing in the sling...

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Awesome, Vince!

Nice job on the DIY.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts