UQ needed with the NX-150 or 250

My buddy just got and used his NX-250 once, but it was not terribly cold weather. I got in it for a few minutes and loved it. The design, the comfort level, it's all very nice.

So, for my birthday, I ordered one and my Clark NX-150 is on its way. I ordered the NX-150 because I am only 5-10 at 200lb compared to his 6-5 at 250lb.

The design of the NX style four-season is such that they have the six pockets underneath for storage and, maybe by design or not, will act as a temperature barrier against the cold air against the backside.

Will these pockets be enough to keep you warm -while filled with items to add to the dead air space in the pockets.

Our thought is this:
    The six pockets, with items inside like boots, clothes, stuff sacs and the like, will act as the Underquilt.

With the weather shield deployed, that will also help keep the heat trapped inside the hammock.

Then, to add more dead air, bring the rainfly down close to the ground to help block the wind, also helping to keep the warm air contained.

So I pose this question to other Clark hammockers...

Is an Underquilt really necessary?

I understand that this is a personal choice, and since I am quite hot-natured, I may be warmer than some but colder than others in the same conditions, I am just looking for some experienced Jungle hammockers to chime in here to post their experience with and/or without an underquilt with the NX series that has the six-pocket design.

Thanks for your time and input.

I have the NX-250 and found that added insulation was necessary below 50 degrees. I had good luck with Thermarest or Ridge-Lite pads with the ENO Wings, but keeping the pad in place was a problem. Then I bought the Z-Liner from Clark, but the seams between the pockets made my back cold.

Finally I settled on a 20 degree UQ from Hammock Gear. I use that with their 20 degree top quilt, and I couldn't be happier.

I love the Clark, but in my view the pockets add very little insulation value.

Jim

I use a UQ with my NX250, full length. It is necessary in colder weather, and the full length tends to wrap the hammock in insulation, creating a kind of tub of warmth. Add the TQ and warm sleeping is about to happen. You can monkey around with the pockets, but to stay warm it will require more.

Hi Guys. I use a Mt Washington 4 from JRB on my nx150. It fits like a glove and I have used it down to single digit temps with no problems at all. Its easy to attach and stays put during the night.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    with some creative pocket stuffing an uq is not needed.you will need to fill the pockets completely to stay warm.spare cloths,dry leaves or grass,crinkled up paper,crinkled up poncho,plastic bags, anything can work.i would not put my boots in there.i have taken my clark down to -18degf with just stuffed pockets.experiment and find your limits close to home before going on a trip to make sure it will work for you.
    diyin to hang

Just got a KAQ New River UQ for my NX-250 and it fits like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    with some creative pocket stuffing an uq is not needed.you will need to fill the pockets completely to stay warm.spare cloths,dry leaves or grass,crinkled up paper,crinkled up poncho,plastic bags, anything can work.i would not put my boots in there.i have taken my clark down to -18degf with just stuffed pockets.experiment and find your limits close to home before going on a trip to make sure it will work for you.
    Thanks for the tip, LoneTracker Stuffing the pockets tight sounds like a great idea. I jsut hope I have enough items that I can stuff with. I usually take only what I need, but I should have a spare shirt or something. I may have to go with the leaves and grass and other natural materials.

I can't wait to get it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    WB / AHE / WL
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    I have been using my NX-250 this summer, and so far I have not needed an UQ. I slept in just my boxers and a cheap fleece quilt down to about the 50's and was perfectly warm, but there was not much wind.

From others experience, it seems that once it gets colder the pockets will not provide sufficient insulation, even with stuff in them. I have even read that the pads from clark that go in the pockets will leave cold spots. Not to mention there will be nothing under your feet.

• + New Posts