Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I bet the KAQ would work on the Claytor/Clark hammocks if you are using an external ridge line. I put the HH style tarp attachments on my ridge line with my Clark to attach my 1/2 quilts to. This would help pull up the quilt sides at the asym attachment points on the KAQ. It may also help on the ends to help snug the quilt to the hammock by pulling up giving you more adjustment. I dont think the problem is because the KAQ quilt is made for an "asym" hammock but is made for a wider hammock. The HH is only made asym with the pullouts, not the cut of the hammock. Attaching like I suggested would pull the sides above the zipper but would probably work.
    I'm not sure. If you tied out the sides of the hammock it might work. The problem is that the quild is sort of asym and the corners bulge out too much for the narrow hammock.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

I have just bought a kaq and have used it on my Claytor and it fits fine. I was nice and toasty down to around 40 degrees in a tshirt. You are adjusting the kaq incorrectly imho. You need to put it in cold mode. I have no idea how you find it uncomfortable

Pads make me sweaty and the pressure points are uncomfortable.

btw I dont have an external ridgline.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The problem is that the quild is sort of asym and the corners bulge out too much for the narrow hammock.
    If you use the ridgeline you can pull the asym corners up instead of out to seal against hammock. Using a ridgeline also lets you set up in the cold mode as described on the KAQ website instructions. If you have a Claytor JH you probably can setup in the cold mode without the ridge line but with the Expedition or Mosquito I think you would need it due to the shorter length of those hammocks

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cshama View Post
    I have just bought a kaq and have used it on my Claytor and it fits fine. I was nice and toasty down to around 40 degrees in a tshirt. You are adjusting the kaq incorrectly imho. You need to put it in cold mode. I have no idea how you find it uncomfortable

Pads make me sweaty and the pressure points are uncomfortable.

btw I dont have an external ridgline.
    I don't think so. I messed with the adjustments for about 15 hours. I figure if I cannot get it to work in that amount of time, it isn't going to work.

Not sure what post you read, but I don't recall saying UQ's are not comfy. I did however, say a pad may not be as comfy as a UQ.

I never had an issue with pressure points, or getting sweaty with a pad.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Hacktorious, et al,

FTR most folk report a properly hung Nest to be good to 30-35*.... The middle of the night attachment may have been off a little.

Pan
    Yea, but then again, I tend to get colder than most in my hammock. I was comfy with the Nest. Adding a heat sheet really mad a difference. I didn't get as cold as I did with the KAQ. I think the nest fits the Claytor better than the KAQ.

I slept in the nest a few times without issues. Well, one night it went down to about 28 and I was a little cold, but I added a space blanket, and I think a pad.

The issue with the nest on the Claytor is that I need to get longer cords.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    If you use the ridgeline you can pull the asym corners up instead of out to seal against hammock. Using a ridgeline also lets you set up in the cold mode as described on the KAQ website instructions. If you have a Claytor JH you probably can setup in the cold mode without the ridge line but with the Expedition or Mosquito I think you would need it due to the shorter length of those hammocks
    I don't use a ridge line.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Thread split - CCF pad discussion moved here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    I don't think so. I messed with the adjustments for about 15 hours. I figure if I cannot get it to work in that amount of time, it isn't going to work.

Not sure what post you read, but I don't recall saying UQ's are not comfy. I did however, say a pad may not be as comfy as a UQ.

I never had an issue with pressure points, or getting sweaty with a pad.
    Its funny I went out last night in my hammock and got pretty cold. I readjusted the Kaq and it got much warmer. I see what you mean now about the gaps on the side. I am thinking about contacting John to let him know to see if he can make any adjustments to the cut of the kaq. I really like the quilt and the workmanship but I can see how when conditions get colder the gaps could cause a problem.

The reality is I am testing it in my garage at 40 degrees and with no wind so it should hold up. When the kaq is snug against the hammock all is good- but getting that fit right could be problematic.

The issue is the cut not the actual quality of the quilt which is great. I am sure it works a treat on the HH.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I had the same problem with my Thermadrape KAQ... it seemed that cold air spilled into the quilt along the sides. I've had to stretch the longitudinal bungies as tight as they would get.

I've thought about putting velcro on it, a la Snugfit.

OTOH, I've had no such problems with my MacKAQ, down to 16 degF.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Yes, I am certain it is the way it fits on the JH. I tried it on my HH and it worked wonderfully. I use the Nest on the JH now.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123