Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: This is regarding all the talk about tree straps

Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    You folks are going to have to convince me that what I’m saying and what has happened is wrong.
    I don't care at all what you use. If you like straps that stretch, that's cool. Enjoy dude.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

This is regarding all the talk about tree straps

I never encountered any stretching of my tree straps, but than I always use marlin spike hitch way up close to the tree.

I don't know what my straps are made off, there the straps supplied by warbonnet. I also use whoopie slings.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Okay folks, it’s time to start putting some of the strap stretching problems to rest. I have been out for over ten days this year so far. I have used the ENO Slap Strap Pro, and the Hammock Bliss extra long tree straps, both made of nylon. I am independent and have no affiliation with any company and I weigh in at a petite 270 pounds. Everyone says that they stretch. Well, I’ve used them and found that I have not had a problem. Usually when I put them up on a tree I pull hard for a few moments all the way along the strap to start the stretch. I also hang ‘em high just like the advice I’ve given elsewhere in this forum. Then I never seem to have a problem. After all the nights I was hanging I never wound up on the ground. You folks are going to have to convince me that what I’m saying and what has happened is wrong.
    If nylon gets wet it will stretch like a bandit. I think the guys who are finding themselves on the ground in the morning are hanging in high humidity.
    I find that nylon stretches about twice as much as poly under higher loads.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    +1, whatever floats your boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    If nylon gets wet it will stretch like a bandit. I think the guys who are finding themselves on the ground in the morning are hanging in high humidity.
    I find that nylon stretches about twice as much as poly under higher loads.
    Ditto on the humidity ( and rain ). I have a 1/2" double braid nylon dock line I use to tie a boat to a trailer. When its dry and hot, it's real tight, musical note tight. When its wet, it's floppy loose without touching the knot.

But I agree with the crowd, if you like them, use them. You own them already and it works for you.
    KCCO

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The Slap Straps I had put my butt on the ground over time whereas the polyester straps hung on the same trees and at the same height did not stretch. If they work for you then that's cool. Hang Your Own Hang.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I use webbing and cinch buckles, the webbing being some nylon climb webbing I bought before learning climbing gear is often designed to stretch. I usually hang at my waist height (I'm 6'3" with an average torso length, so my legs put waist high quite a bit off the ground) and I have yet to go all the way to ground, but I've caught my suspension stretching now and then. The best observation I have to back this up is one night I climbed in about 5 inches above some plants, and after a night of rain, I woke up in the morning with that plants touching the bottom of my hammock. Five inches of droop with fifteen feet of webbing on both sides doesn't seem that bad to me, and I bet if a person's only nylon is tied off right next to the tree it wouldn't be a huge problem.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    I don't see anyone saying that they pull on the straps hard after they put them up. You must be just putting them up and then getting in the hammock. I pull really hard. Maybe that's the key. It was humid for the past few days and I'm still trying to convince myself that all the talk has been a bit off. Oh, and I use the hammock as a lounge chair for a while. I still did not have to adjust the straps. I also sometimes have to bring the straps down a bit so my legs can touch the ground.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I never encountered any stretching of my tree straps, but than I always use marlin spike hitch way up close to the tree.

I don't know what my straps are made off, there the straps supplied by warbonnet. I also use whoopie slings.
    He's right. I also have done this.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I don't see anyone saying that they pull on the straps hard after they put them up. You must be just putting them up and then getting in the hammock. I pull really hard. Maybe that's the key. It was humid for the past few days and I'm still trying to convince myself that all the talk has been a bit off. Oh, and I use the hammock as a lounge chair for a while. I still did not have to adjust the straps. I also sometimes have to bring the straps down a bit so my legs can touch the ground.
    My general routine is to put up the hammock then press down on the hammock center really hard to expose any critical flaws that might leave me on the ground then I sit in the hammock and bounce a few times to tighten the suspension around the tree. Then I get back up and make final adjustments and I am done.
    Nylon stretches significantly more than polyester. Its proven science. If you're nylon straps are doing the job just fine, then that is great. That is all that matters, right?
    One thing is true in all types of webbing and that is you want to put that toggle as close to the tree as possible to limit stretch. If your doing that and you're hanging from small diameter trees, then I can easily see you not experiencing much stretch throughout the night. Its all good fellow hanger, I totally respect your choice on your suspension because it works for you and that is all that matters.

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    Okay folks, it’s time to start putting some of the strap stretching problems to rest. I have been out for over ten days this year so far. I have used the ENO Slap Strap Pro, and the Hammock Bliss extra long tree straps, both made of nylon. I am independent and have no affiliation with any company and I weigh in at a petite 270 pounds. Everyone says that they stretch. Well, I’ve used them and found that I have not had a problem. Usually when I put them up on a tree I pull hard for a few moments all the way along the strap to start the stretch. I also hang ‘em high just like the advice I’ve given elsewhere in this forum. Then I never seem to have a problem. After all the nights I was hanging I never wound up on the ground. You folks are going to have to convince me that what I’m saying and what has happened is wrong.
    I'm with you on this one I've been seeing this same posts and
    I also use the ENO Slap Straps even inte rain
    And at almost 250 lbs I have never ended up on the ground
    So it seems to me one or two people had bad straps
    And now every one had jumped on the band wagon
    With out educating them selves..IMHO..
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast