Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Maybe not, they have a 2 nite min....$40...have to think on this one.
    I just did quick check on their website and did a mock reservation - didn't see a minimum but they did appear to be $20 a night. Still better than Motel 6. BTW, they have 2 different areas with platforms. One is near the big parking area at the picnic area by the river and the other is upriver about 6 miles by trail. They also have some 'adirondak campsites' - think AT-style shelters that I think they're screened in. Might be an option if the skeeters are ridiculous down by the river. Not sure there's a way to hang or not but I'll check that too.

I'll probably be down that way earlier in the day. 1:00ish maybe. We've got to meet a guy to try to sell a vehicle or I'd just head down later and visit a while. If you roll in early look for a purple tablecloth hammock at the platforms near the parking lot. I'll pm you my phone #. Feel free to give me a call for some intel.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    I know you're already on your way but I put this blog post together after a little recon trip to the Bend this afternoon. Figures others might find it useful as well. Check it out...

http://getoutga.wordpress.com/2013/0...nd-state-park/

Images
    Read your blog, good overall assesment.

The Good:This park is only 2 years old and is rarely used according to the Rangers and camp host. I had the entire west platform section to myself and there were only about 10 others camping in the entire park. Very clean and incredible facilities.

The Bad: Those poles on the platforms are not there for hammocks. There main purpose is to tie out tents. They are 4x4 and pretty springy/stretchy. I used a tree close by and one pole, that I ended up tieing it off to a tree behind it to strengthen the setup. It worked but with the height of the poles, I was only about 6 inches of the platform. As far as tarp tie outs go, the platform is surrounded by eye bolts and I found them perfectly spaced to tie out my Superfly.

The Adirondack camp would allow you to hang 2 hammocks from the 7' rafters in each one. If you were able to squeeze the webbing under a few more spots you might get 4, maybe...maybe.

Great park and I will definitely use it again. Facilities are immaculate. Tons of deer, squirrels and Armadillos. I saw a turkey this morning. Now off to NC.

I will try to remember to upload a pic when I get back.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post

The Bad: Those poles on the platforms are not there for hammocks. There main purpose is to tie out tents. They are 4x4 and pretty springy/stretchy. I used a tree close by and one pole, that I ended up tieing it off to a tree behind it to strengthen the setup. It worked but with the height of the poles, I was only about 6 inches of the platform. As far as tarp tie outs go, the platform is surrounded by eye bolts and I found them perfectly spaced to tie out my Superfly.
    OK, tent tie-outs make more sense for the way they're constructed. I didn't see the eye-bolts but at the time I was poking around I was also trying to stay sort of dry so I didn't spent a lot of time there...

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Never ever have I camped on a "platform", however I have slept on my front porch multliple times. Make sure that the poles are sturdy enough...
    Jonah,

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Hey Swank, have a question...did the one of the ranger or campground host tell yoiu that the poles were for tent tie-outs? As I thought about that for a while I couldn't help but wonder why someone would need 4x4 posts 5 feet tall to tie out tents in some manner. Odd...

Images
    Yes, I asked specifically, they said it was for non free standing tents, that must be staked to stand upright.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12