Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock choice for a 6' 4" backpacker?

Greetings to all,

I'm new to the site and have been doing a bunch of reading in the forums on this topic, but I figured the direct approach would be best.

I do a lot of camping and backpacking and am planning for a 10-day solo trip in New England this coming summer. I've decided to make the switch from my 5+ pound double wall tent to something lighter and more versatile and... suspended from trees. From what I've seen in the forums everyone has a different perspective and different needs, but the popular makers are Warbonnet, Hennessy, Claytor, Speer, and a few others. They all look great. So my big question is (pun intended, I guess):

I stand about 6' 4". I'd love to hear from some tall hammock folk who have found the right fit with a particular maker/model. I do tend to sleep on my side and shift around a bit during the night.

The other consideration is weight: it would really have to be under 3 lbs., ideally closer to 2 for longer lightweight travel. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but of course want something durable, with netting and rainfly etc.

Many thanks for any suggestions - happy hanging

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 6'3'' and use this hammock http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm and think its perfect for side sleepers. I think at an inch taller than me you would be ok. The other hammock I use is an ENO doublenest and its plenty big but I dont find it that comfortable for sleeping on my side

Hi Fortunato, I am 6'2" and 235#. I have both a double wide and a Skeeter Beeter and am a roaming side sleeper like you. Sleeping diagonally I have no problem 'roomwize'. With an underquilt I am quite comfy down to 30 degrees.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6' 4" and 250lb, and I fit pretty well in my Hennessey Hammock Explorer Deluxe, especially on my side. It's 3lb 4oz, but the Explorer Ultralight is the same size and 2lb 7oz.

I think if I were any taller I'd want something a bit bigger, but the Safari model is a lot heavier. For the weight savings, I like what I have very well.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

I'm 6'3" and just ordered the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralite that
    bonsaihiker mentioned above. Hopefully I'll get it in a few days and test it out. I'll let you know how it works for the taller hammock fans out there!

Best,

DP

Images
    the warbonnet blackbird should be good for someone up to 6'6"

My son-in-law who is 6' 3" used a Claytor Expedition Hammock for our trip last year. He liked the way it slept and said that he was comfortable in it.

I'm 5' 11" and have plenty of room in the same hammock.

Images
    I on 6'3" and use a DIY Speer. Works great but might not be the answer you want. I have 30 or so nights on the hh they are talking about above. Worked great for me, just didn't like the hh for the bottom entry.

I do have a BlackBird, but do not have enought nights on it to say either way. I think it will be great.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1&quot; PloyPro Straps
    I'm using the Skeet Beeter Pro which is a 10' bed. Plenty of room in this thing. Almost too much.

Images
    Also for me the longer the better. I know Ed Speer says something like 2 feet over your height. I think I use closer to 4. Note that this doesn't apply to the Jacks bridge hammock, hh, or the Blackbird.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast