wbbb
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

edging on an underquilt

hi everyone right my ripstops turned up this morning and i pick up my thread injector tommorrow night so will be starting this mammoth task of an underquilt.
    my first question is is it better to edge the quilt or just fold over and stitch I know this is nearly the ending of the quilt but i am being hopefull i get that far I am sure i will have lots more questions along the way but thats it for now. I will do a full post and pics on my progress ,thanks wayne

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    Cant help you with the question, But i'm looking forward to read and se all about it

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    ... I know this is nearly the ending of the quilt but i am being hopefull i get that far...
    It may be one of the last steps, but, as you're thinking, you have to have the details worked out before you start cutting fabric.

Some helpful links...

Rolled hem edge channels or grosgrain edge channels will both work....your choice.

Down Red River Gorge Quilt

Synthetic KAQ

Insultex UQ with Grosgrain Channels

DIY Differential Cut UQ Calculator

http://www.dream-hammock.com/DownFillCalculator.html
    Last edited by gmcttr; 07-29-2013 at 08:19.

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    I don't know that one way is better than the other as either way works. It's more a matter of preference, I think.

I find it easier to do the fold over method. I lay my cord in, fold the edge over and then run a stitch along the inside of the cord. I have the ability to move my needle to the left or right so I move it away from the cord allowing a little more space in the channel.

When I'm finished, the cord isn't as free moving as you see in Shug's videos, but the UQ still moves pretty easy for adjustments. Just remember to watch how close you get to the cordage. My stitch "jumped" a bit too close (running the machine too fast - DUH) and I actually ran two stitches into the cord. More of an annoyance than a problem. I just ripped those stitches out and re-sewed that spot.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks guys and thanks for the links, my thread injector has facility to move to the side so will probably give it a go if i make a hash of it the edging will come into play ,just going to go slowly as this is my first attemt at anything with a sewing machine so if i can do this then there will be lots of other projects after this one

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    You can also sew in a separate channel made from a strip of the shell fabric.

UQ construction hf.jpg

I did this so that the shock cord could be pulled tighter inside the channel than if it was encased in the shell fabric itself or in grosgrain (which would add weight if you're a gram weenie).

If you're interested, I can do a detailed set of instructions for you.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies
    ah i like that thanks very much .wayne

I just rolled over the edges as well. Using a different material can make it look a bit more finished and professional, but a rolled edge works just fine. Be sure to reinforce the openings of your channel though, as the shockcord sliding back and forth will tear up an unfinished edge of nylon

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I use 1/2" seam allowances when sewing things like quilts - it makes the math easier than the standard sewing seam allowance of 5/8".

I took 4 strips of shell fabric 4 inches wide - this makes a finished channel 1 1/2" wide if you use 1/2" seams. The strips need to be 1" longer than the finished length of each side.

Take the strips and put 1/4" hems on each end. The strips will now be the same length as the finished length of each side of the UQ.

The easiest way to handle the fabric is to fold each strip in half lengthwise and then stitch 3/8" of an inch away from the open edge. If the fabric you're using has a inside/outside difference, make sure that you fold the strips right side out.

When you're laying out the quilt, insert the strips on each side, lining up the cut edges with the cut edge of the shell so that the strips are sandwiched between the two shell layers. (When you turn the quilt right side out, the strips will be in the right position.) Pin in place, check to make sure you've got it right...

Make sure when you're stitching each edge seam that you don't catch the end of the adjacent channel in the stitching. I pinned the end of the channel back out of the way on an angle to prevent this. I use safety pins for this type of pinning because straight pins a) stick me frequently and b) can get lost in the sewing. I once had a straight pin puncture the waterbed (okay it was the 70'.. when it had worked loose during sewing and hidden in the quilt.

• + New Posts