Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I am in the process of evolving( I call it this cause I'm not buying new gear I don't need, I am making gear lighter. Or at least that's how I explain it to my wife)
    I see a MacCat and a Rayway in my future
    If you can make a Ray quilt, you can make a BlackCat!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Rhino, after seeing your posts on several forums, I think you're misunderstanding what the SPE does. If you have a 60" wide pad, you don't need the SPE.

You could cut that pad in half to 40"x60" and use a pillow for head/neck insulation...then you'd have 1.5" of CCF insulation and still have plenty of coverage.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark
    Insulation
    Closedcell padding
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Has anyone tried a Clark North American and a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe? I had a Hennessy and want to start using a hammock again. By the time I get a Hennessy and a underquilt the cost of a Clark looks good. I live in the NorthEast and camp in the Spring and Fall when I go.
    Does this model have the weather shield and pockets underneath? If so, forget about all the extra under pads and other stuff and just get a small close cell foam pad. I use what one of my old packs used as a backboard and have stayed plenty warm in temps in the 20's.
    Hikerhead

I have a Ray Way quilt my wife and best friend made for me. I sold my Hennessy and KA underquilt last year. Now I am Kicking my own *** for selling them! I saw the Clark on the web and like the weather shield and larger tarp.

I got my gear on route to me this week. It should be 20-30 degrees at night for me to test out over the weekend. I like the CJH NA for the under pockets and top load ruggedness. I'll cut the 3/4 pad to fit and wrap around the shoulders and legs to give me room to roll then wrap that with a fleece or cotton sheet just for comfort/moisture. I'll stuff the pockets with inflated zip locks and cloth, then with a 10 degree bag I should be gold.

I was think of the SPE as well just to put OVER the 3/4 pad to get to the 0 or lower mark. I know unless I want to go real low I don't need a pad AND an SPE. However, I might hate the pad so ...

Having never been in a hammock, I gotta start someplace.

I ordered a new Hennessy Explorer Ultralite yesterday. I am back to hanging again! I still have my RayWay. Now I need a larger tarp! JRB or MacCat?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The SPE doesn't provide any insulation...it doesn't help you get any lower. It's just a panel of 1.1 oz DWR.

It holds insulation so it's easier to manage multiple pads and insulate the shoulders/hips...but if you're already using a wide pad, your shoulders and hips are already insulated. SPEs are made to accept 20" wide pads...if you try to put a wider pad in there it won't work right. And if your pad already covers your shoulders and hips b/c it's 30+" wide, the SPE won't offer any benefit.

(A 22-24" wide pad might work ok if it's thin, but they're designed for pads 20" wide and ~3" thick.)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    I ordered a new Hennessy Explorer Ultralite yesterday. I am back to hanging again! I still have my RayWay. Now I need a larger tarp! JRB or MacCat?
    MacCat seem to be the preferred tarp around here. But even a Speer rectangular tarp would be better than what Hennessy puts on his hammocks.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    MacCat seem to be the preferred tarp around here. But even a Speer rectangular tarp would be better than what Hennessy puts on his hammocks.
    From what little I've seen personally, I think the Hennessy hex tarp is probably adequate coverage. It just doesn't pitch very tightly.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    From what little I've seen personally, I think the Hennessy hex tarp is probably adequate coverage. It just doesn't pitch very tightly.
    You mean the bigger tarp he sells or the regular one?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast