Learning the ropes

I made my first hammock and now I am trying to learn all I can about suspension. I would appreciate you guys input on the different types of ropes for suspension and structural ridge lines(also are ridge lines necessary?). I know to steer clear of para cord and also that nylon will stretch but I do not know which ropes are nylon. Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuttinedge1 View Post
    I made my first hammock and now I am trying to learn all I can about suspension. I would appreciate you guys input on the different types of ropes for suspension and structural ridge lines(also are ridge lines necessary?). I know to steer clear of para cord and also that nylon will stretch but I do not know which ropes are nylon. Thanks
    Amsteel 7/64" (1600 lb. breaking strength) is popular for whoopie sling or UCR suspensions. You could also consider 2.0 mm Dynaglide (1000 lb. breaking strength) or 1/8" Amsteel (2500 lb. breaking strength).

I personally like hammock ridgelines. You get a consistent sag, you can hang stuff from it, and it keeps an independent bugnet off your face. I use 1.75 mm Zing-It for hammock ridgelines.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    By far the popular choices for hammock suspension are amsteel and polyester webbing. Amsteel is typically spliced into whoopie slings so it retains a majority of its breaking strength vs using knots. The webbing is used to protect the trees. It distribute the force as opposed to a thing line on the bark. You can use all webbing or a combination of webbing and whoopie slings.

Structural ridgelines on hammocks serves a few purposes. First, when taut it always gives you a consistent sag regardless of the suspension angle preserving your hammocks' sweet spot. It serves to hold up bugnets and it allows for things like organizers to be hung from it to store small items within easy reach. It can also help deflect any deadfall that may drop on you. They are not necessary with an simple hammock but if you have a bugnet or want to supplement an UQ's suspension by having it support some shock cord then its certainly necessary.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Learning the ropes

Thanks guys

• + New Posts