Images

WBRR on a Vario stand

My daughter caught me reading in my hammock this afternoon. It wasn't too hot so I decided to hang out. I went to the trouble to put the extender on the stand so I could hang the long RR. With the extender, I get alomost 16 ft total length.

But look close at the bottom center bar on the stand. See how it is flexing, and almost in contact with the ground in the center? This is what caused me grief when I 1st tried to use this hammock/stand combo. The bar would hit the ground and lift the stand's feet off the ground! That was a little scary. I was on concrete in the garage, and felt the stand swaying left to right. It felt like the whole thing could fall over sideways.

It seems the longer stand causes more leverage and I get more flexion. The stand has always flexed a good bit, but not enough with any other hammock for the center bar to hit the floor. For one thing, I don't have to use the extension with any of my other hammocks.

Anyway, the way I have found to deal with this is to put blocks under the feet, elevating it enough so that the bar does not quite hit the ground. But there is still plenty of flexion, which makes it hard to get things adjusted correctly.

I don't not look that comfy in that picture, it looks like my feet are kind of high, it looks a little banana curve. But it actually is quite comfy, about as comfy as it gets. But not as much when I am on my side. OK, but not as comfy as some of my other hammocks. You think that is because after the stand flexes, it is equivalent to not pulling the hammock tight enough between the trees?

When hanging from the trees, the hammock is again super comfy- maybe the most comfy- when on my back. As comfy as the JRBs but with the extra shoulder room. As comfy as my best gathered ends but no leg issues, and lots of shoulder room. But I'm not sure it quite matches my JRBs for side positions, I always seem to have at least a little more side torque. A little from the trees, but definitely not as comfy on my side using the stand. Probably due to all the flexion.

But when I hang it tighter from the trees, while it improves the side comfort, another issue arises: It felt a bit too tippy for me. I felt like, when on my side it might be possible for me to roll out of the thing. At least it felt like it would be much easier to fall out than with my JRBs or non bridge hammocks, with not as much side support as my JRBs. Which made me wonder: did I have it too tight? Is there a recommended RL length for this hammock? I have to say it did not feel near as tippy on the stand.

It is plenty comfy over all, just trying to figure out some details to get it up to it's full potential.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    In the stand, your RR looks too loose to me -- you want the suspension to be around 25 degrees, and it looks well over 30. This may be more of a problem with flex in that stand, though.

I'm curious what the angle of your suspension is when you hang it in the trees (which presumably don't flex so much) -- do you know?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChacMool View Post
    In the stand, your RR looks too loose to me -- you want the suspension to be around 25 degrees, and it looks well over 30. This may be more of a problem with flex in that stand, though.

I'm curious what the angle of your suspension is when you hang it in the trees (which presumably don't flex so much) -- do you know?
    Yes, the problem is the flex in the stand. It is pulled straight before I get in, but after the flex, well, you see how it is. When I am in the trees it is not near as loose, but hard to say exactly. I would say less than 30. But maybe I get it too tight and that is why it feels kind of tippy. Have to work on it.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    It is too loose and I'm real suspicious of that bottom rail being able to take the force of a bridge.

Take care BB
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    ...I'm real suspicious of that bottom rail being able to take the force of a bridge...
    Apparently BB is concerned as well.....hence the mattress underneath.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I think I read somewhere,,that your hang angle needs to be approx. 20 degrees, I know around the house,,when I hang in the shorter distances, RR is not nearly as comfy as about 16' and out. Remember, my dogbone suspension has been shortened up to 34 inches so my total measurements from buckle to buckle is about 12' 4" and can hang easier in the short distances, but to me,,is all about the angle your suspension is. And,,I like the RR with the 4" spacer extension out, but that is just me. And I will add this,,I like my foot end, a dash higher than my head end, as I sleep with a pillow, and it keeps me from finding myself sliding down towards the foot end.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Warb. Yeti,& Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    You still looked very comfortable with your book : )-

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Evitcho View Post
    You still looked very comfortable with your book : )-
    I actually was quite comfy, though I am surprised to be comfy when I see how much looser the suspension is after the flex of the stand. Still very comfy on my back, not as much on my side. But this is so much better since I figured out to put something under the stand's feet, to elevate the center bar higher off the ground. Imagine things feeling kind of strange and unstable in a hammock, when you suddenly realize the feet are off the ground and your weight is being supported by that flexing center bar that is under you and is in solid contact with the concrete floor in the garage! I have never had anything close to that happen with any other hammock, it is wild!

• + New Posts