Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images

Is it as easy as it looks?

Here I stumbled into the DIY section of the forum, and found myself reading nearly every single thread through the first 20 pages and book marking all sort of vendors.

I have done quite a bit of sewing in my time and I find myself wondering why shouldn't I try my hand at both an underquilt and a topquilt.
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -William Byrd

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Why not indeed? It's just fairly simple sewing.

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    I'm just thinking the same. And have been looking for a European dealer of the things ill need.....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I found most of the work was in the planning - what size, what design features did I want, etc. etc.

Since one is not working from a sewing pattern that does all the work for you including yardages and layout, you get to do it all yourself.

The bonus is that you get to do it your way - all my gear is made the right size and shape for me with all the stuff I saw the manufacturers doing with none of the things I didn't want!!

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I found most of the work was in the planning - what size, what design features did I want, etc. etc.

Since one is not working from a sewing pattern that does all the work for you including yardages and layout, you get to do it all yourself.

The bonus is that you get to do it your way - all my gear is made the right size and shape for me with all the stuff I saw the manufacturers doing with none of the things I didn't want!!
    That is what I am seeing, and any patterning seems to be squares, rectangles and trapezoids.

What really got me going was looking at someone's PDF of how a synthetic underquilt (or top quilt) would go together... duh I can do that, its not much different than making bed quilts.

My one issue is that I have not worked much with sewing material like ripstop or climashield (mostly natual fibers), and I'll need to understand how select the right amount of insulation.
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -William Byrd

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Before starting DIY, I hadn't sewed since 5th grade. I've made 3 hammocks, a bunch of stuff sacks, and a tarp so far...Working on tarp #2 now.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post

My one issue is that I have not worked much with sewing material like ripstop or climashield (mostly natual fibers), and I'll need to understand how select the right amount of insulation.
    I guess ripstop can be hard to work with if you're not used to softer, slippery fabrics. A lot of the guys use the small office binder clips to hold things together - I took that pointer when making the tarp cause you don't want pinholes that will later leak on you. Personally, I didn't find it hard to work with at all - the hardest was laying it out on the floor cause I didn't have a big enough work surface. Trying to match edges with 10 yards of ripstop was kinda like herding cats... Tin cans or books are your friend.

Climashield is a little more bothersome than regular quilting batting because it seems to have more give to it. Just like quilting batting, rough cut it bigger than what you need and retrim later. The nice thing about Climashield is that it doesn't need quilting at all, simply stitch it in place around the outside seam and you're good to go.

Which thickness of CS you use will depend on what temperatures you expect to be hanging at - then add a few degrees cause it's always better to be too warm than looking for extra clothes at 4 AM.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I guess ripstop can be hard to work with if you're not used to softer, slippery fabrics. A lot of the guys use the small office binder clips to hold things together - I took that pointer when making the tarp cause you don't want pinholes that will later leak on you. Personally, I didn't find it hard to work with at all - the hardest was laying it out on the floor cause I didn't have a big enough work surface. Trying to match edges with 10 yards of ripstop was kinda like herding cats... Tin cans or books are your friend.
    It's funny to hear ripstop called a softer fabric. I guess it depends on the frame of reference. I use pins and don't care much about the pinholes since the seams will be seam sealed anyway. But that's just me. Old Boot is pretty much right on with the rest of it. Work slowly and cut carefully and matching the edges is not really as hard as it might be. On the first pass if you are matching selvage work 6-10" at a time and you can sometimes match the edges with out pinning at all. Let the machine do the work.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It's funny to hear ripstop called a softer fabric. I guess it depends on the frame of reference.
    Well as compared to a lot of fabrics used in 'regular sewing' (as opposed to gear making), ripstop is definitely one of the softer fabrics. I'd rank it up there with satins, I guess. When you've sewn everything from bridal gowns to business suits and winter coats, ripstop is 'soft'!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    If you take your time, its pretty easy. (as long as you dont need it by next week end!) Just about everything takes alot longer than you think!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast