Newbie: Fabric & Seam questions

I've read quite in here a bit on different types of fabrics and all paths seem to lead to ripstop. There was what looked like a really good reference point to one on fabric strength and types of ripstop but I can't find the original post!

So, for a garden hammock, with poles both ends (remaking a broken one) what is the recommended fabric type and weight?

Also, I'm ok with the long seam but how does one go about strengthening the seams at the short ends. Basically its just a pocket slot at each end for the poles to slide through. It used to be string but replacing it with fabric.

Also, do I make the replacement the width of the longest end, or wider to make it more huggy than flat in the centre.

I've also read a post on whether to have one seam down the centre (two part construction) or two seams at thirds (three part construction). Thoughts on this also welcome, would a centre seam be taking too much strain?

It's a gift for a good friend so would love to try and get this right!

Thank you

Jo

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Use strong polyester thread. Gutterman sew-all or Mara thread is recommended, and I found sewed much better than other "outdoors" threads.

Ripstop is preferred for camping because it is durable and light weight. How much weight do you intent this to hold? Do they have kids that could abuse it? 1.9oz rip stop should hold roughly 300 lbs. For a garden hammock you could use other materials, like silk (although moths will eat it), canvas, or nylon or polyester taffeta. Polyester might be a better option due to better UV resistance.

For the end channel sew three parallel rows of stitches, and make sure to back stitch at the start and finish of each row.

I'm guessing you need material wider than the standard 60"? Use a flat felled seam. Either style will probably be ok strength wise, but it might be uncomfortable sitting directly on the seam (it'll stretch differently than the surrounding fabric).

Dear poster..

Thanks for responding and for sharing your experience

No kids to abuse it but two dogs and party's! So they could get more than one person jumping in it. Do you know what weight ripstop would be required for more than 300lb ?

We have loads of moths around here at the moment so I best not go down that route, even though it would be lovely, do you mean normal polyester taffeta, like dress fabric?

I think I'll do three sections, flat felled, so the seam isn't directly under and find a fabric with as little stretch in. Had completely forgotten about that aspect.

Huge thanks again.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
    do you mean normal polyester taffeta, like dress fabric?
    I usually recommend a "top weight" polyester taffeta. That's language a fabric shop should understand. But essentially, yes, you want a garment fabric if you are going with anything but ripstop. For a patio hammock I would not go with ripstop just from a plain aesthetic standpoint. You can get some nice, attractive choices in other fabric styles.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    How wide is this going to be?

The width..

How wide? Regarding the width...

Well the poles are 35" and 26" and current broken netting 90'' long on the side. I was thinking of doubling the pole lengths for the fabric width, to create some sag. So coffin shaped piece 70" by 52". Or I could just stick with the standard 60" all the way down, thus making things a lot easier but perhaps not best for the hammock.

Its tricky to establish the current width of the string netting stretched out as there are several very large holes in it that skew the figures.

Thx

• + New Posts