dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Backyard fail/success storm 4am:p

Hah it's 4am now had an outrageous storm still going on was out their sevril hours in the backyard with my rig hung up with my diy hex tarp/hammock. And I had the tarp about three and a half feet above my hammock so it was opened up a tone under the tarp. Anyways with this being the case so impressed with the tarp because at that was only getting a slight mist every now and then coming under the tarp was all good out their but now I'm sitting in my living room wet lol due to mini ground hog stakes gave out after a few hours.
    But ill be honest with this storm I'm surprised they did as well as they did.

I have a vid oh what I could see but I don't know how to attach a vid here threw my ipad

Anyways fun night tarp worked well until stakes gave! Good night!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Same thing happened to me when I rode out a tropical storm, it's always the bloody stakes.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Try putting rocks or logs on top of the stakes in the blowing rain and wind next time if you can find some,,the weight on top of the stakes works for me.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    During my week at summer camp I kept having the same thing happen. Darn stakes jumping out of the ground! One of my scouts said, Hey Mr. Mike Why don't you just tie to the big rocks.... DUH! a clove hitch and a toss and my tarp stayed taught all week.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Try putting rocks or logs on top of the stakes in the blowing rain and wind next time if you can find some,,the weight on top of the stakes works for me.
    That sure helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gristlehead View Post
    During my week at summer camp I kept having the same thing happen. Darn stakes jumping out of the ground! One of my scouts said, Hey Mr. Mike Why don't you just tie to the big rocks.... DUH! a clove hitch and a toss and my tarp stayed taught all week.
    If possible, unless weather is perfect, I always tie off to trees, branches, bushes, logs or whatever might be available. Or move rocks etc on top of the stakes. Never had a failure of any of those approaches yet.

But in my back yard, there is never anything of the sort to tie off to, and no rocks or logs to put on top of stakes. One night I tested my HHSS with small stock diamond shape tarp in torrential rain, very high winds and as it turned out a tornado warning. I came up with various things from the garage that could stand getting wet to put on top of the stakes. Luckily the tarp only had two stakes! I bailed and went inside once the close by lightning started. I regretted that test once I realized how severe the storm actually was, because watching from the house as the tarp take a beating I was certain it was going to be destroyed, and then probably my hammock also. But I was not going out into that lightning to take it down, so I left it to the fates.

Everything held, and the next morning the only thing under the tarp that was wet was the out side of the HHSS UC, plus about 2 tablespoons (max) of water in the lowest point of the undercover. But the HH pad and hammock were dry. Not bad!

But other times, with nothing on top of the many stakes of my larger tarps, stakes have pulled out and my UQs and hammock got quite wet!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Alright well it's still really annoying I didn't get to sleep the night threw but oh we'll. if I went to the regular groundhog stakes would at help anchor it to the ground better then the mini groundhog? And help keep it from pulling up?
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Alright well it's still really annoying I didn't get to sleep the night threw but oh we'll. if I went to the regular groundhog stakes would at help anchor it to the ground better then the mini groundhog? And help keep it from pulling up?
    Yes. I started off using some ultralight DAC J-stakes. They were light, compact, and strong. But too short to hold really well, especially in the woods where there's a deep layer of soft duff. The full-size Groundhogs are excellent at holding. They're popular for a reason!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    Yes. I started off using some ultralight DAC J-stakes. They were light, compact, and strong. But too short to hold really well, especially in the woods where there's a deep layer of soft duff. The full-size Groundhogs are excellent at holding. They're popular for a reason!

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    Alright perfect thank you!!!
    Paragon Fury

• + New Posts