DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Bear Booby Trap

I've only dealt with two bears wanting to eat my food -- one an unnerving experience -- think I was saved by the weather that time as it began to pour rain -- the bear either sought shelter or the rain washed the food smell out of my camp. The other time we just got in the car and the bear moved on. Those were backpacking and car camping experiences, respectively ... and I started carrying a gun. For some reason it did not bother me thereafter when I saw bear shadows passing in the night. I felt confident in the tent with a gun … and learned to hang my food up a tree.

I feel more vulnerable in the hammock, though, so will take greater care not to lure a bear in with food smells. Who needs the bother? Got an Ursack Allwhite but still do not want a bear to worry it and me all night -- so, I thought of booby trapping it.

Took a big bore straw and melted the ends closed, cut off a 2” cap, used cuben scraps and VHB tape to fashion loops for cap and body, filled it with cayenne pepper, and rigged it with a piece of Lash It to be pulled open when a bear tugs on the bag, snagging the cord, as would inevitably happen. A smaller dose of pepper from a straw container spread around beneath the bag might deter even that bad bear behavior.

Do you think it will work?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    Ingenious- I know I wouldn't mess with it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Interesting idea and very creative. However if the bag is bear bagged PCT style then in theory the bear shouldn't even be able to reach the food. Also if the bear is covered in pepper yes this might scare him away but it also might enrage the bear more causing him to reek havoc in camp. And lastly what about the next hiker who has food in the same area/camp site as you were in and did not use the pepper protection. Bears will often attempt to gather food in the same area so even if the bear is unable to get to your food the bear might remember the area and come back for another hikers food. Not trying to knock the idea I personally think KT is very creative and if used with the PCT bear hang or on a bear pole I thinknkt would be an excellent secondary precautionary measure however I would be hesitant to use it as my primary measure of keeping my food safe. The Ursack is awesome however in the past I did have a critter chew through mine. It was no bear a rodent of some sort but even ursacks aren't full proof. Still love the idea the creativity on this forum is endless kudos.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Bears are attracted and curios about strong smells. Pepper spray works more on the scary nature of it going off on them than the scent. There have been cases of people spraying bear spray around their camp thinking it will act as a repellant. But it can actually attract them.

A better practice is to keep a clean camp and use odor proof bags with you're ursack.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Bears are attracted and curios about strong smells.

A better practice is to keep a clean camp and use odor proof bags with you're ursack.
    +1 on That part.

Spraying bear spray around camp doesn't work. Its works in the aerosol form in the face so it gets into the eyes and nose. Also it was developed for Grizzlies and works better on them because their Olfactory system is much more sensitive than black bears. If you have a persistent black bear around camp or your home sometimes cookie doe laced with a cayenne centre can work. Was used by some friends of mine as they had bear problems at their home up the valley from me.
    He was loading the kids in the car to go get mom and looked back at the trailer set in the bush and in the kitchen window was a black bear looking at him,,,"see ya when you get back".

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Raccoons love pepper and spices...just sayin

Re: Bear Booby Trap

I feel like that does nothing to keep a bear out of camp... only really pisses off a bear who is going for you food?
    If your worried about it messing with your food, hang it out of reach. Why throw pepper in a bears face because you couldnt be bothered to hang a line?

Its the same as when you were in a tent though. Safety wise no different, a zippered wall of nylon isnt much in the way of bear protection.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Black Bear are just big oversized raccoons!! As long as no cubs are involved they run for the hills. If you really want to be sure your food is there in camp and unmolested in the morning, get a bear can. "Set it and forget it!"
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I feel more vulnerable in the hammock, though, so will take greater care not to lure a bear in with food smells.

Why would you feel more vulnerable in a hammock? What kind of material was your tent made out of? I don't think it matters to a bear if your under a tarp in a hammock or in a tent.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm not buying the enraged bruin scenario. Most animals operate by a cost/benefit analysis. Getting a face full of cayenne pepper seems a deterrent in that regard in my favor. But getting mad about it does not fit the calculus, either. I suspect the bear will conclude that the goal is not worth the discomfort. I'm thinking of this as cheap alternative to pepper spray.

Now I did not think of small rodents because I've not seen any up trees and they are diurnal, right? What am I missing?

I once saw a man face down a bear. But he was a very large man and I got the impression that it could have easily gone the other way! What's the advantage we have? Some might call it applied physics! We'll see if my contraption works, eh?

Last edited by MDSH; 07-31-2013 at 09:07.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast