Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images

FL>Ocala>Buck Lake>January 17-21, 2014>4TH ANNUAL FLORIDA HANG

Here it is! The post you have been waiting for since FH3! We are so excited, pleased and proud to announce the planning of FH4 (FOURTH ANNUAL FLORIDA HAMMOCK HANG) has begun!!!

Scheduled for JANUARY 17 to 21, 2014 (yes, we added one more day!), and to be held once again at The BUCK LAKE CAMPGROUND in Florida’s OCALA NATIONAL FOREST. Slap yer grandma and calm her down, mark your calendars and start your planning, tell your friends and families, line up the leave time, start staging gear in the garage, start dieting, plan different packing arrangements for the car now so you don’t have to do it last minute, and put yourselves in a general state of readiness!

We are expecting 100+ participants and with the biggest and best raffle*, the best weather* and the most (and easily the best) food*, The Florida Hammock Hang has clearly become THE don’t miss, OMG, OMG, OMG, big deal event of the HF social season*. It has drawn HF members, vendors and others from all over this great land of ours in impressive numbers and promises to keep on growing and growing. Report threads from the last three FHs are on the Forum—you can get a good handle on what the hang is like. In short, we have a great time eating at the DO epicenter of the known universe*, sharing cooking and camping techniques, examining gear, sharpening and growing our outdoor skills (and cooking skills), taking day hikes, paddling long and short kayak river trips or scooting around Buck Lake, eating, swapping tales around an endless camp fire, vying for raffle prizes, and of course, eating! The Florida Hangs are gatherings of hardcore backwoods campers and trekkers, kayakers, and car campers in and around a trail-laced campsite that enables folks to stay close to cars and toilets or push off into a secluded spot—the choice is yours. But no matter where you love to hang your rig, the Florida Hammock Hang will have something to offer. I'm not sure what the weather will be like but I promise we'll have some.

The planning committee has been hard at work getting things in line, but this is very much an ongoing process with the door wide open to anyone with ideas, vision, or a desire to help out. Just PM any one of us. Our model is to have scheduling for those who like to have things planned out while also enabling lots of space for free spirits to come and go as they choose. As of now though, and given precedents from previous years planned activities include:

Group hike on the Florida Trail
    River kayak excursions
    Gear show and tell
    Gear swap meet
    Hammock Varietals petting zoo (bring your fave rig, test out others)
    Tiny stove cook-off and Water boiling race
    A BIG raffle (gear, great and small from many of your fave HF vendors and buds)
    Children’s (and big kids) workshops and raffle
    Survival Classes including navigation and foraging
    THE BIG GROUP SATURDAY EVENING GROUP MEAL
    Dutch Oven World (they don't have this many DOs in Holland!)
    And of course—hours of socializing with your fellow hammock hangers.
    And more….

DIRECTIONS too! I 75. Exit 93. East on Rt 40. South on Rt 19. Right (back westward) on a small dirt road with the sign Buck Lake Campground, then second left to the lake. There will be HF signs as well along the dirt road.

Maps and More Here> https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...02122&t=h&z=19

By now you must be asking yourself, "Where do I sign up!?" Please take a moment to sign up on the spreadsheets. It may be tedious but it really helps the planners meet expectations for a great event. For convenience, this post will also link to the forum main calendar along with all spreadsheet and directions links.

Attendance Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...uSVlka3c#gid=1

Planning Spreadsheets https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0TjJXX3c#gid=0

Funds: Timberrr & I will handle the funds again this year and we are open to someone stepping up to take this over for next year. We feel that the same one or two people shouldn't get too comfortable handling the money year after year. But for FH4, we're it. So if you would like to make an advance donation, please Paypal (as a gift) to [email protected].

Raffle Tickets: This year we are making raffle tickets available in advance. As before, they are $5 each or 5 for $20. If you would like to acquire advance tickets, you can Paypal a gift of the appropriate amount to [email protected]. If you don't send the funds as a gift, the service charge will be deducted from your funds and you may end up with fewer tickets than expected. Let's avoid the confusion by gifting the funds - in exchange we'll gift you your raffle tickets with your name badge upon your arrival.

Vendors: Any vendors planning on coming this year, please shoot me a PM letting me know how I can best serve you.

Ready!? Let the Planning Commence!

*IMHO
    Last edited by Gumbo; 07-31-2013 at 14:08. Reason: Misguided map link.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Whooooooooo Buddy! Thank you thank you thank you.

I've been sooo ready for this.

Gumbo, you just made my week.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Whooooooooo Buddy! Thank you thank you thank you.

I've been sooo ready for this.

Gumbo, you just made my week.
    I promised I'd start the planning by August and I figured everyone had waited long enough. Thanks for being patient! We've done this enough now that we are kinda like a well oiled machine. We know what works, we just have to think about what will work better.
    Last edited by Gumbo; 07-30-2013 at 21:09. Reason: I am my own grammar Nazi.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Like kayak races in Buck Lake

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    OH! Be still, my heart!

I will leave it to Duffy to sign us up, but I want you to know, Gumbo, I have every intention of being there for as much of the weekend as I can manage - at least one overnight, and preferably 2 or 3! I'll be giving notice to the kids tomorrow, they should have plenty of time to arrange child-minding, right?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

kc -- Fulltime Hammocker, thanks to Olddog, Samsara, and Duffy!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Like kayak races in Buck Lake
    Great idea! You want to be in charge of that right?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Missy Lou & I are both signed up... WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!! We will be bringing our kayaks all the way from Michigan for some paddling under the Florida sun. Bring on the fun....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Missy Lou & I are both signed up... WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!! We will be bringing our kayaks all the way from Michigan for some paddling under the Florida sun. Bring on the fun....
    Paul - Two things....

1. We have extra yaks if you want to use them instead of hauling yours all the way down from Michigan, especially if they are going to end up greatly effecting your gas mileage. I highy, highly recommend the Juniper Springs run, but don't bring a cell phone.

2. So very happy you and Missy Lou are returning this year! Hooray for our cold weather friends!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Thanks Gumbo, Yaks hit mileage by 2 mpg at 70-75 mph so no biggie there but we certainly appreciate the offer and we wouldn't miss a chance to catch up with our warm weather friends for anything....

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Paul - Two things....

1. We have extra yaks if you want to use them instead of hauling yours all the way down from Michigan, especially if they are going to end up greatly effecting your gas mileage. I highy, highly recommend the Juniper Springs run, but don't bring a cell phone.

2. So very happy you and Missy Lou are returning this year! Hooray for our cold weather friends!
    Last edited by sr1355; 07-30-2013 at 21:03.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Right!

Paul and Timberrr will head the yellow team, while Missy Lou and Gumbo will head the blue team. Guys against the girls......hehe.

My wife and I will bring her blue kayak and my yellow kayak also so we can enter the races. Hmmm, what to do with our red tandem yak?

I will def. get something going for some fun in the lake for those not going to the springs or near the time of the group pic on Sat.

And I will also throw in with the cooking gang this year, again. Sous chef to the Masters of FH4.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast