Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Every so often I use pitch remover on my saws, I wonder if it would hurt the straps. Goo Gone or Goof Off might work too. I'd test the last few inches of my strap before trying anything, that way I could cut off the end if it caused problems. When I'm in my shop and my hands get pitchy, I rub them in fine saw dust, I bet it'd work for straps. Of course; The pitch is still there but I'm not getting it on stuff or sticking to everything. I bet talc would work too.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Sap does not just wipe of of sil. Anyone that has had sap drip on a tarp will confirm that.

Coating the straps won't do much for you other than adding weight, and something for everything in the world to stick to...pet hair, dirt, you name it.

Straps are one of those things that need cleaned from time to time. Keeping sap covered straps off your other gear is a good idea. When at home either clean sap off with a citrus based cleaner or rubbing alcohol or let the sap dry out and it will flake off to a huge degree on it's own.

Just remember that straps are one of those things that take a good bit of the wear and tear in hammock camping. You will want to watch for signs of fatigue in the webbing and replace them as needed....like hiking shoes...at some point it is time to retire the old ones and get a fresh set. Generally that is years of use on a pair...I still sometimes use the first set I made when we started AHE.
    Since tree sap is basically really viscous syrup, what are your thoughts on just soaking the straps in hot water? I have polyester straps that I will be making soonish (think double thick seatbelts). Any thoughts on how hot water might affect that sort of material? Keeping in mind I'd be letting the straps air-dry before using them again after a soak.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Syrup is sugar, and dissolves in water. Sap doesn't dissolve in water. Pine sap doesn't anyway, needs alcohol or petroleum distillates to dissolve. But I don't think hot water would damage your straps one bit.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbyrd View Post
    Syrup is sugar, and dissolves in water. Sap doesn't dissolve in water. Pine sap doesn't anyway, needs alcohol or petroleum distillates to dissolve. But I don't think hot water would damage your straps one bit.
    I suppose you're right. I should have thought of that. I got hooked more on the idea of the heat from the water "melting" the sap a little to help it flow a little more.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Insulation
    TQ & Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Anti-Sap Webbing?

Sap sucks, but once you have a few encounters you should learn to be mindful of it and avoid it. Treat straps with a spray concerns me as it would end up on the trees and in the environment.
    -TheFarmerCamper

“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” - Hans Hofmann

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Oregon, so BIG.
    Insulation
    TQ MIA,UQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    MSH, whoopies + RL

The environment

Quote Originally Posted by TheFarmerCamper View Post
    Sap sucks, but once you have a few encounters you should learn to be mindful of it and avoid it. Treat straps with a spray concerns me as it would end up on the trees and in the environment.
    I was just honestly curious if anyone had a magic remedy haha. I really respect the environment as much as I can and even feel terrible about loosing a fishing lure in a pristine lake last trip . Especially if someone/thing was swimming/around the water and stepped on it.

The hot water idea might help a little, but more to the effect of getting the sap to penetrate the strap and not have as much surface area to be sticky. I don't think it would encourage the sap to move away from the strap. A solvent like darkbyrd mentioned or one of those pumice based citrus cleaners would be a better bet.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx

plastic wrap

A strip from a plastic trash bag wrapped over your webbing so the webbing
    does not touch the tree

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak View Post
    ...or one of those pumice based citrus cleaners would be a better bet.
    I'd use the no-pumice variety. Having abrasive pumice embedded in the strap can't be a good thing.

Re: Anti-Sap Webbing?

My mom's straps got covered in Pine sap a few weeks ago. I might have to try some of these methods and try to get it out for her

Hammock
    wbbb/wbrr
    Tarp
    11/13 cuben
    Insulation
    HG burrow/J-R-B sn
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchwar
    now that you brought up moms.mine just got some stuff off tv that is hydrophobic as all hell.rustoleum makes it.nothing will stick to whatever you spray it on.i mean nothing.everything just beads off.motor oil to mustard.
    she cleaned and sprayed our shower.she hates cleaning the bathroom.the thing looks like new.
    i wonder about our straps.even whoopies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast