ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Grand Trunk Hammock-Compatible Sleeping Bag

Has anyone tried this? I was looking at stuff on Austin Kayak and came across this:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...eping-Bag.html

It's rated 32 degrees and it's basically just a modified sleeping bag that zips around your hammock. It seems like the more expensive insulation is usually the underquilt and this would take care of both... assuming it's any good. Also it's fairly 'cheap' at 169$. I live in East Texas, so it sure gets cold for a couple of months, but rarely below the low 30's. Plus it's just under 3 lbs, so it's gonna cut weight, too.

So yeah, has anyone heard of or tried this? I'd love some feed back! Theoretically it seems like a pretty good product.
    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. - The Fourth Doctor

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Those are generaly refered to as "PODS". They can be very efficient, but limit your ability to lay flat on the diagonal. Lots of people here have had success using similar setups.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Lol "pods" I like that. It makes my inner nerd happy. I'm pretty new to hammock camping and I'm still getting my barrings. So the biggest difference then is the lay? What about insulation?
    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. - The Fourth Doctor

Hammock
    Chrysalis
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    No-Sew PLUQ
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Just found this, and before posting, did a search, and here is the thread already. Glad I searched.

Providing direct link to the product itself here:
    http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/sleeping-bag

No affiliation, just found it, and want to bring the info back to the team

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Ive actually been looking into this bag, my only thought on it is...I have the skeeter beater pro, which of course has the bug net attatched, now its said you can just flip it over but during certain times of the year, its warm out during the day and the mosquitos are out until after dark but at night its a bit cool, so you need insulation but still need the bug net feature, which means a full net over the entire set-up is required...... lol if that made any sense..... I only know this cause it happened to me only a few days ago.... any thoughts comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    Ive actually been looking into this bag, my only thought on it is...I have the skeeter beater pro, which of course has the bug net attatched, now its said you can just flip it over but during certain times of the year, its warm out during the day and the mosquitos are out until after dark but at night its a bit cool, so you need insulation but still need the bug net feature, which means a full net over the entire set-up is required...... lol if that made any sense..... I only know this cause it happened to me only a few days ago.... any thoughts comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated
    Best to go with a separate top and under quilt, about the only way with an attached bug net.

Pennsylvania Furnace, PA (near State College)
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I just checked this out at my local outfitter today. I don't normally buy anything without doing some kind of research and I just finished looking up some reviews and comments.

From what I read (not my experience, just what other people wrote) - the major complaints are that the rating of 32 degrees is way off base - one guy said he was freezing even when the temperature got into the upper 40s/low 50s; not being able to sleep on the diagonal, which is a pretty big deal breaker to me; and the zippers' construction not being the best - they continue to slide open overnight and have to be rezipped and also get snagged sometimes.

That being said, one person did say he was so happy that he took the leap and loved the bag. He didn't elaborate on what conditions he used it in or why he was so happy, but at least there was one five star review posted.

Images
    There was a lot of talk about that when it came out. I think the conclusion was it wasn't too great. Didn't allow you to lay diagonal they way Speer's peapods do, and left you sleeping like a banana. But many have rigged an old sleeping bag the same way with great results....

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I know this is not as warm but I live in florida. I was looking for a sleeping bag that packs down well to use as a blanket. I found this sleeping bag:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I was thinking of connecting two of these guys and having a pod system of sorts. I am a bigger guy so I was thinking that this would give me plenty of room. What do you think?

Images
    You guys should check out Shug's videos...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemer...ow=grid&view=1

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast