Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To many options

To many options

Hello to all....

I must say that I feel like a dope asking these questions, as I am sure they have been answered before. Though trust me I have spent the last few days reading around the forum, and have come to realize that there is much more to this "hammock" thing that I first thought. While I currently do have a hammock.....allbe it a cheap one from WM, I am looking at something that is going to be much better and will last longer as well.

I am planning on using the hammock at least once a month when I go to drill. So I am looking at options that have everything in one. As I might as well be ready for the crappy seasons that we get up in my neck of the woods. I have seen some great set ups from the DIY threads as well as the high end fancy ones.

I keep coming back to a few hammocks that I am thinking would be great. They are the ENO doublenest, mosquito jungle, or a set up from Simply Light. I know with the ENO will have to get the tarp, and would want it camo to blend in so when I do go to drill I can leave things set up and out of sight and out of mind.

I have read great things about each of the set ups, and just can't figure out which one would be better. I really don't plan on hiking around to much, though when I do the weight wouldn't be a problem. I am just looking for something that is going to be extremely comphy and fun to use.

Again sorry for the Noobish question, I just want to start on the right foot and get this addiction started.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Check out Warbonnet Outdoors. The Blackbird is the most popular hammock here and for good reason. They also have a camo tarp. There are also other great hammock vendors here so keep looking around.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for your service to our country first off! Welcome to the addiction secondly. This is a very easy place where there aren't any dumb questions really. None of us knew much till we learned. Heck I'll bet most here would admit we still learn. They say if you think you cannot learn anything new; you won't. The hammock choice thing is just that; a choice. I can tell you that so many here, me included, have bought gear and then wished we'd have waited until we had the loot for the item we really wanted. I did not go the DIY route when I started and maybe should have while saving for the high dollar stuff. I see you are way off the grid in ND. It would you do you well if somehow you could get to a hang and see try some rigs. If that isn't possible most of the cottage mfgrs. have a great return policy here. That and the resale value is high as it usually means the item can be resold for top dollar and the buyer has a way less wait. Keep looking and asking questions. You'll find your way and all this won't seem so overwhelming. Peace, Two Tents and ben (my doggie)
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Give me a week and I should be able to comment on the SLD line. I had Jared make me some stuff up, and it is all en route to me now. Also waiting on some stuff from a couple other vendors as well but by next week I hope to be able to get on the ball and do some testing.

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention the WB hammocks, though have been looking at those as well.

When you start getting up in price is there really a difference in the hammocks, or are they all fairly the same?

Can't wait for the review Craig.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Check out all of our cottage vendors below. You can't go wrong with any of these hammocks. The customer service is the best anywhere. As mentioned WBBB is very popular and to validate the price if you don't like it you can recover most of your money by selling it right here on this forum. Butt in a Sling has a good line of hammocks and so does Clark. MacEntyre has a Hammock/Bivy at his Molly Mac Gear store. Dream Hammocks has many different options and they may be one of my next hammocks. This is where many of our dearly loved cottage vendors do business - http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/.

I think you should take these three things into consideration:
    1. How much are you willing to spend?
    2. What options do you want? (attached bugnet, storage options, weight, simplicity of setup/takedown)

Next you should surf through the above mentioned website and look at the products our vendors make. Odds are you will find one that meets both of the criteria and will be very happy with the quality and customer service.

2. What options do you want? (attached bugnet, storage options, weight, simplicity of setup/takedown)

1. Nothing to much, though not thinking over $200-250 max.
    2. Bug net would be ideal, weight doesn't matter just nothing to heavy. Storage would be nice, but not a necessary thing. The simpler the take up and ready down would be a plus.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    If you study the different hammock designs and the write-ups on them for a while, you'll start to see subtle differences. While you're studying up on them, keep in your mind whether some things are more important to you than others.

For example, while I definitely wanted a bugnet, I knew, really, really knew that a bugnet that was only a few inches from my face was going to irritate me mentally. I didn't figure there'd be too many nights that I would be able to skip having the bugnet in use but come the opportunity, I wanted it to be able to get out of my way altogether, also useful for hanging out in the daytime reading!

You'll soon have a short list of hammocks to choose from.

Or you can be like me and figure that I liked a feature here, a feature there and none was perfect so I made my own...

Yeah been looking at the diy section, and not sure I have skills to make one on my own. ..well that and I don't have a sewing machine.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by woogie_man View Post

1. Nothing to much, though not thinking over $200-250 max.
    2. Bug net would be ideal, weight doesn't matter just nothing to heavy. Storage would be nice, but not a necessary thing. The simpler the take up and ready down would be a plus.
    Check out WBBB & Dream Hammocks they are in your price range if you don't need a tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast