Thread: Newbie from NH

Newbie from NH

Hey everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself, since I'm new to the forum and the hanging community!

I'm 26, a USAF veteran and engineer/materials scientist from southern NH. I'm mainly a rock climber, but I camp in between climbing days and am looking to take up winter hiking/camping for something to do during the off season (other than gym climbing).

The first time I slept in a hammock overnight I hated it... until I learned I was doing it wrong! I bought an ENO and slept in it (correctly this time) and now I'm hooked. I've never slept so well when camping! I just swapped out the suspension in my ENO with amsteel I spliced into a continuous loop and cinch buckles/webbing. Got the webbing from home depot out of a ratchet strap pack for $3.50 (got the idea from a post here to go to harbor freight, but I didn't like the yellow straps and HD had black)!

I also had a chance to try out my friends blackbird and loved it so much I ordered one with the line/strap suspension and a Superfly to go with it for my winter camping.

My next projects will include a bamboo hammock stand (I'm designing one without a ridgeline, unlike the ones I've seen with the bamboo tripods) so I can sleep in it full time, when I don't have company... . Then next will be an underquilt. I'm very excited (if you can't tell)!

Thanks everyone so much for all the helpful information on these forums!

Hammock
    ENO now, looking at HH
    Tarp
    ENO dryfly
    Welcome! I am new to the forum myself. I have an ENO DN but am looking into getting something else. I don't know what yet, but something!

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Newbie from NH

Welcome aboard to the both of you. The best advice I can give you is read a lot here. Ask questions and then go to a local hang nearest you. The hangs are a group of us that get together and hammock camp. We either car camp or backpack in.
    Rockclimber there happens to be one in Mass. Come Sept 20-22 in Charlemont Ma. Take a look in the Northeast Planning section and you should see all the details there.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Thanks! I'll have to check out the info about that hang. I'm usually climbing up north most weekends, but I'll look into it!

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    welcome, we have 2 hangouts coming up in MA- Aug 16-18 in Andover, MA and then Sept 20-22 in Charlemont, MA. you are welcome to both!
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    welcome aboard and thank you for your service!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Thanks everyone. I've been spending a ton of time on the forums already (actually did before I made an account too) and have already gotten a ton of valuable information and ton of ideas for DIY projects. As an engineering I'm always trying to think of clever new ways to do things, so hopefully I'll be able to contribute something at some point! And hopefully I'll make it to a hang. I'll have to see about setting something up in northern NH. I usually spend my days climbing when I camp so it would be cool if there was a hang near a climbing area so I can hang with everyone after a day at the crag!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide

Newbie from NH

Hey Rockclimber,
    I'm not a climber, but if you are looking to hike sometime, give me a shout. I am up in the Lebanon - Hanover area.

Welcome to the forum.
    Ed
    Ed

Newbie from NH

Thanks Ed! I've never winter hiked, but was thinking of taking it up as my off season sport. Do you winter hike/camp?

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Rockclimber,
    I highly recommend taking the Winter hiking series class offered by AMC if you want to do winter hiking. I took it because I started winter hiking with a buddy and I knew we were not being safe. It also helps by hooking you up with a lot of other people who want to do winter hiking.

I haven't taken the plunge and jumped into winter camping. I keep thinking about it, but just haven't done it. The gear is so much more heavy and bulky, just haven't talked myself into it. My boys, wife and I all ski on the wenkends too which eats up a lot of time. I have greatly extended the temperature range that I camp. Spring and early winter the shelters are almost always empty which is really nice.
    Ed

• + New Posts