Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images

Swollen uvula, sore throat

All due respect to the MD's here, H.Pete has posted a number of threads that shared a profile of a "big guy". Just search on threads HPete has started. They caught my attention as I have a vested interest in the subject, making hammocks & suspensions that have to handle +300lbs.

Get a sleep study done, it will tell you if a cpap will help.

I'll wager a diy set of whoopies, you'll need one.
    Will even make them in 1/8th for you.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    All due respect to the MD's here, H.Pete has posted a number of threads that shared a profile of a "big guy". Just search on threads HPete has started. They caught my attention as I have a vested interest in the subject, making hammocks & suspensions that have to handle +300lbs.

Start making them, I do have sleep apnea. Couldn't deal with the cpap, and I have trouble breathing through my nose. I just deal with it...

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockPete View Post
    Start making them, I do have sleep apnea. Couldn't deal with the cpap, and I have trouble breathing through my nose. I just deal with it...
    Haha ok.

I am ordering a mess of 1/8 in yellow shortly, will include enough to make you a set.

Fyi: a cpap changed my life, there are different types of masks, nose only, mouth & nose and now including the new "cadillac of masks", something that works for me.

It took me several months to get used to it, waking up in the middle of the night, taking it off in my sleep, but it has made a real difference in my quality of life.

Will PM u about the whoopies.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    ....for me the swollen throat, puffy eyes, etc. were found to be associated with a down allergy. I choose not to use antihistamines for several reasons. My answer was found in the waterproof down products that are also hypoallergenic....this said for those who have exhausted other possible causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post

No offense taken RatDog, and certainly none intended, but your post highlights the issue. Lack of information in the original post, and the poor ability of in Internet forum to adequately assess (by way of thorough questioning), or examine the OP. You have the benefit of some foreknowledge of the OP that was not posted here initially, and have made an inference based on your own personal experience. That's not wrong, it may be related to his sleep apnea. But HammockPete's experience may not be the same as your's and there could be other factors as DoctaD rightly pointed out. I'm just throwing this out there as general note of caution against the concept of Internet forum diagnosis.
    Last edited by BER; 07-31-2013 at 16:56.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    No offense taken RatDog, and certainly none intended, but your post highlights the issue. Lack of information in the original post, and the poor ability of in Internet forum to adequately assess (by way of thorough questioning), or examine the OP. You have the benefit of some foreknowledge of the OP that was not posted here initially, and have made an inference based on your own personal experience. That's not wrong, it may be related to his sleep apnea. But HammockPete's experience may not be the same as your's and there could be other factors as DoctaD rightly pointed out. I'm just throwing this out there as general note of caution against the concept of Internet forum diagnosis.

I'm sorry but I never asked for a diagnosis of why it happens.

The original post (w/ 2 typos):

Does this happen to you, and if so, what do you do for it?

It was only a question about what people do if they've had it happen to them.

Now others tried to diagnose what was wrong (and thank you all for your efforts). But I just wondered how others deal with it if and when it happens. For example, I use a lozenge when it gets swollen, or perhaps some herbal tea, or maybe even ibuprofen. I was just looking for some ideas on how people deal with it.

I think people went of the topic question (which is cool, because it might help people who have had the problem but were too shy to ask).

I'm sorry that it seems that I wasn't as forthcoming in this post as you might have liked. But as RatDog has stated, throughout my postings, I have been quite forthcoming about my weight issues, and try to ask questions sometime not only to receive answers for myself, but for other who don't feel comfortable to ask. Believe me, it is very difficult admitting it to people.

Pete

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Noted. Would never advocate using durable medical equipment without proper testing/diagnosis.

Certainly correct to caution all.

HPete, I have experienced what you describe, at times it was scary how swollen it was, felt like I was swallowing it over and over.

Nothing helped but time. Cold water eased the discomfort some, maybe a lozenge but it took the day to get close to normal.

The weight issue sucks and it is work to make an impact. Been dealing with a 100lb weight gain and whacky endocrin issues, multiple radiation treatments and major surgery myself. Hang tough, but by all means...hang, the elevated perspective helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HammockPete View Post
    I'm sorry but I never asked for a diagnosis of why it happens.

The original post (w/ 2 typos):

Does this happen to you, and if so, what do you do for it?

It was only a question about what people do if they've had it happen to them.

Pete
    Pete,

There is a fine line between between "does this happen to you and what do you do for it?" and "why does this happen to me and what should I do for it?"
    In the first, you are asking what treatment others have used for their problem and making an inference (not necessarily correctly) that your symptoms may be from the same etiology. The second asks for a diagnosis and a solution to your problem. Pretty darn close. I'd be cautious about expecting that respondents to your question read up on all of your prior posts... just sayin'

Of course, you may do as you'd like. Regardless, I do hope you find a solution that works for you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Pete,

There is a fine line between between "does this happen to you and what do you do for it?" and "why does this happen to me and what should I do for it?"
    In the first, you are asking what treatment others have used for their problem and making an inference (not necessarily correctly) that your symptoms may be from the same etiology. The second asks for a diagnosis and a solution to your problem. Pretty darn close. I'd be cautious about expecting that respondents to your question read up on all of your prior posts... just sayin'

Of course, you may do as you'd like. Regardless, I do hope you find a solution that works for you.
    Thank you BER for your advice and well wishes...

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide

Swollen uvula, sore throat

I snore occasionally when I am in a really deep sleep and always get poked by the wife with the mandatory "you're snoring again!" comment. In the Hut system in the White Mountains, I have never had a good nights sleep (never ever) because of snorers. They always wake up saying what a great night they had, while everyone else grumbles because they were awake most of the night.

I am a believer in prevention, so As a doctor of pharmacy, I recommend finding the cause and preventing it. I do pack everything from pain killers to muscle relaxants to some numbing throat lozenges. I never leave the trailhead without Benadryl in case of an allergic reaction, an anti-inflammatory for pain/fever and antibiotics incase of a water related GI issue. I will say after a day on the trail cyclobenzaprine, oxycodone mixed with Benadryl makes for an incredible nights sleep! Joking again, sort of.

If you asked specifically what we would for a sore throat caused by X, you might have had more serious responses. I joked about the snoring because that has caused me and many other hikes a sore throat.
    Ed

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast