Thread: Pad question

Hammock
    HH explorer
    Insulation
    still looking

Pad question

Im new to hammocking heres my ? i have HH how cold can i get down to with just a pad and sleeping bag and over cover?I have a 20,degree north face cats meow bag.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    1/2 in tubular web
    I've slept in my open ENO Singlenest down to ~25*F in a Wiggy's 20* bag plus a Walmart closed cell foam pad... no problems. With an over cover and the relatively sheltered space in the HH, you should be good for a bit cooler than that. (I do admit to being a warm sleeper, though.)

I've recently switched to a DIY underquilt... now THAT is the cat's meow, for sure!
    There's no such thing as bad weather... just bad gear.

Hammock
    HH explorer
    Insulation
    still looking
    thanks raven im gonna get a uq latter im headed to alabama the first of april and i know it can get cool at night there im headed to the pinhoti i help build some of it back in the 70,s plus i grew up really close to it thanks again {hang on }

Hammock
    JRB BM Bridge w/NS top Quilt
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    TRPr4+unQltwinter
    What Pad?

I would give a range between 65* and 20* depending on the thickness and type of pad.

Hammock
    JRB BM Bridge w/NS top Quilt
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    TRPr4+unQltwinter
    Youngblood wrote this article on pad effectiveness.
    http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%2...leFoamPads.htm

Hammock
    Dual Layer 1.7 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Landau 3/16" pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bama29 View Post
    thanks raven im gonna get a uq latter im headed to alabama the first of april and i know it can get cool at night there im headed to the pinhoti i help build some of it back in the 70,s plus i grew up really close to it thanks again {hang on }
    I am also new to hammocking. I will be trying out my Blackbird hammock in April on the Pinhoti. The pad I am thinking about using is coming from Ebay. I have heard this stuff is pretty good to use, I guess I will see.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1332wt_943

Quote Originally Posted by bama29 View Post
    Im new to hammocking heres my ? i have HH how cold can i get down to with just a pad and sleeping bag and over cover?I have a 20,degree north face cats meow bag.
    To paraphrase Smokey, "Only you can prevent nighttime shivers."

There are so many variables...the sleep system and its myriad components, the weather/climate conditions faced, the physical condition of the camper and the camper's own proclivity; hot or cold sleeper? Part of your answer can be found in backyard experiments but they still won't mimic trail conditions and you will still need to plan a safety margin.

Virtually all my hammock nights have been without a bag, quilt or other cover...I rely on cold weather clothing instead. But that works for me because of the climate/weather I face May-Oct. It certainly isn't the choice for most people and places. Given all that, my ¼" Oware pad (7oz) has kept me comfortable into the mid-20's. At 22° I felt cold coming through after 3-4 hours.

It is my opinion that adequate yet light and convenient under insulation is the limiting factor for keeping warm in a hammock.

FB

• + New Posts